Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Basics > Entire RAZZIE® History, Year-by-Year: 1980-2013
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DISCUSSION of All-Time RAZZIE® Champs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DISCUSSION of All-Time RAZZIE® Champs
    Posted: July 22 2011 at 3:25am
Welcome to the forums, TecSimple.
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
Yingchun View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Yingchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2011 at 1:39am
You guys are just blind! And honestly it's pissing me off because I agree with almost everything you choose, and this is why I like Razzie Awards.. but I will never agree with your hating on Stallone!

jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2011 at 1:46am
Well, he's been a target of the RAZZIES for some time, I thought you'd learned that already.

Am I being too harsh?
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 12:02pm
I don't think anyone here hates Stallone. I've had to explain this to you Stallone apologists for a few years now. Hate is a strong emotion, reserved for serial killers, the authors of genocide, child molesters, The Smurfs etc. I am pretty sure Stallone is none of those. Stallone is a guy who caught lightning in a bottle with one mediocre film in the mid-70's that managed to get nominated for an Oscar and actually managed to win due to an obvious mathematical flaw in the Oscar voting system. (In fairness, we employ the same one here.) He isn't a good actor, he isn't a good director, he isn't a good writer. If you choose to enjoy his work, more power to you. There are rather bad films that I personally enjoy. I, however, do not pretend that there is a flaw in the tastes of others because I have guilty pleasures.  

Originally posted by Yingchun

You guys are just blind! And honestly it's pissing me off because I agree with almost everything you choose, and this is why I like Razzie Awards.. but I will never agree with your hating on Stallone! 

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 5:16am
I agree with most of saturnwatcher's statements. Yes, Stallone was at the right place, at the right time, with the right movie ... and that's where his talent and success end. Yes "Rocky" is a great feel-good movie, but that's it. Just because you make one feel-good movie doesn't make you untouchable for the rest of your career. However, I do not agree with the "mathematical flaw" theory that he often uses for when the Oscars make mistakes. In the end, with the mind-set of the mid-70s, America needed that feel-good movie, and the Oscars rewarded "Rocky" for being that. The Oscar voters are people, too, and sometimes, people just like a fluff story that leaves them warm and fuzzy inside.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 5:47am
Like Slumdog and The King's Speech?

Originally posted by Michaels

I agree with most of saturnwatcher's statements. Yes, Stallone was at the right place, at the right time, with the right movie ... and that's where his talent and success end. Yes "Rocky" is a great feel-good movie, but that's it. Just because you make one feel-good movie doesn't make you untouchable for the rest of your career. However, I do not agree with the "mathematical flaw" theory that he often uses for when the Oscars make mistakes. In the end, with the mind-set of the mid-70s, America needed that feel-good movie, and the Oscars rewarded "Rocky" for being that. The Oscar voters are people, too, and sometimes, people just like a fluff story that leaves them warm and fuzzy inside.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 7:12am
Yes. Well,those movies and ROCKY all got good reviews. I don't know if ROCKY was the first of it's kind, but I'm sure it was close, so it's understandable why it was considered the best of that year, and remains a classic. But the same happens with TAXI DRIVER and NETWORK,so it's not that big deal who won. And years from now, people will look back at SLUMDOG and THE KING'S SPEECH the same way they do BENJAMIN BUTTON, BLACK SWAN and THE SOCIAL NETWORK. 

Originally posted by Vheid

Like Slumdog and The King's Speech?

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 4:46pm
Vits, I prefered Slumdog over Benjamin Button.... But both movies aren't really films of a lot of substance...

And your probably right that The King's Speech will be just as much forgotten as Black Swan, The Social Network and Inception... but that doesn't make them worse that Speech...
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 5:52pm
No,I meant all those movies will be remembered.Maybe not all of them considered classics,but they won't be forgotten.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 7:47pm

However, I do not agree with the "mathematical flaw" theory that he often uses for when the Oscars make mistakes. In the end, with the mind-set of the mid-70s, America needed that feel-good movie, and the Oscars rewarded "Rocky" for being that. The Oscar voters are people, too, and sometimes, people just like a fluff story that leaves them warm and fuzzy inside.
Since AMPAS categorically refuses to release voting results, it is impossible to determine what actually happened. However, there were three clearly better films nominated for Best Picture that year, which leads to a very strong suspicion that there was a vote split that ended up favoring a comparitively weak film with a core of support.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Since AMPAS categorically refuses to release voting results, it is impossible to determine what actually happened. However, there were three clearly better films nominated for Best Picture that year, which leads to a very strong suspicion that there was a vote split that ended up favoring a comparitively weak film with a core of support.
Could be, and the winning vote went to the warm and fuzzy movie whether than the better movie. As for the AMPAS never releasing the voting results ... what could they be hiding? "Rocky" was no doubt the first (or last) movie that they played favorites to.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 8:15pm
Rocky wasn't the first movie that I suspect won as the result of a vote split. I have strong suspicions that it happened in at least 2 previous instances. However, I don't think that there is a clear indication that it has happened since.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 8:33pm
Permit me to add to my remarks above. While I don't think that there is a strong indication that any Best Picture since Rocky has won as the result of a vote split, there are actually several years since where a measure of suspicion can be offered. The best candidates in the years since are 1980, 1981, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2000 and 2004.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Permit me to add to my remarks above. While I don't think that there is a strong indication that any Best Picture since Rocky has won as the result of a vote split, there are actually several years since where a measure of suspicion can be offered. The best candidates in the years since are 1980, 1981, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2000 and 2004.
So either politics or payoffs were involved?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 8:02am

So either politics or payoffs were involved?
I don't think anything that sinister is involved. Quite the contrary, I think that utilizing a firm like Price-Waterhouse makes it pretty difficult for the results to be rigged (not impossible, but certainly difficult, since someone there knows the results and would blow the whistle). I just think that there have been a few occasions where films that ordinarily would have finished 3rd or 4th have won because the votes get split between two or three better films.

Let's say that there are two really strong films in the running, either one of which might have drawn, say 54% of the vote if the other hadn't been nominated. There is a 3rd film which has a solid base of support, say 28% of the vote. The rest of the field is going to divide up the remaining 18%. If the votes for the top 2 are more or less evenly split, the 3rd film in the group is going to win.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 12:14pm
I say it has more to do with the politics and payoffs. I mean, HELLO, does Harvey Wienstein rings any bells? That man will sell out his own mother if it meant a movie with his name attached to it would win an Oscar in any category.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>