Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Basics > Entire RAZZIE® History, Year-by-Year: 1980-2013
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DISCUSSION of All-Time RAZZIE® Champs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DISCUSSION of All-Time RAZZIE® Champs
    Posted: August 11 2011 at 1:36pm

This whole mess is exactly why that if a film wins Best Picture at the OSCARs, I don't necessarily think it's the best film of the year. It often comes pretty close; the reviews, other nominations, other victories, and accolades in other award ceremonies (like the BAFTAs) have to back it up before I potentially declare it the #1 Best Film of the year. Lo and behold, upon seeing the film, I'll likely agree with the OSCARS' selection for Best Picture, even if others don't!

Gladiator: #1 Best on my Countdown of Cinema 2000.

A Beautiful Mind: #24 Best on my Countdown of Cinema 2001. When I compiled the 2001 list, I wanted to avoid cliches as much as possible with the order I put them in. Besides, this film lost points for some flaws, particularly that John Forbes-Nash only heard the voices of three of the characters; he never saw them visually. #1 on my list was Gosford Park. I'm surprised at how little heat I've taken for not putting Harry Potter, A Beautiful Mind, The Lord of the Rings, or Moulin Rouge at the top of my list. It was because I didn't want to be just like everybody else back then.

Chicago: #5 Best on my Countdown of Cinema 2002. I imagine this to be where you people start to disagree with me. I'm not as harsh in my analysis of films as HeadRAZZBerry and other members with post quantities in the quadruple digits at the RAZZIES. #1 on my list was The Pianist.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: #1 on my Top 30 Films of 2003.

Million Dollar Baby: #4 on my Top 30 Films of 2004. Looking at my Best Films lists going back to 2000, 2004 is my favorite. #1 was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It wasn't a Best Picture runner-up, but all 5 finalists were in the top 10 that year.

Crash: #15 on my Top 30 Films of 2005. It lost some points because the reviews were good, but not great, and because it reinforced Asian stereotypes. Judging by the name of the film, I'd say it's the one that says Asians are bad at driving cars. 2005 was a particularly bad year for film, if you ask me, and if my cohorts didn't agree with me naming Good Night and Good Luck #1, I don't trust any of you will either.

The Departed: #1 on my Top 30 Films of 2006. It had enough other accolades to back it up, if you ask me. Then again there wasn't much competition for Best Picture in 2006 either.

No Country For Old Men: #1 on my Top 40 Films of 2007. At first, none of my peers agreed with me. Many people I heard say No Country For Old Men wasn't good enough to win Best Picture said Juno deserved it. Most of my younger peers who outright disliked or hated NCFOM said they actually liked Norbit! 7 months after I published the first edition of the 2007 list, people suddenly stopped supporting Norbit and started supporting No Country.

Slumdog Millionaire: #2 on my Top 40 Films of 2008. "Two Double-O-Eight" was such a nasty year for film that I left slots #40-#38 blank on the Top 40. My dad and step-mom saw this before it was famous, and said it was among their best experiences of the time. It was a pretty close call, but I put The Dark Knight at #1.

The Hurt Locker: #1 on my Top 40 Films of 2009. In Episode 1404, You Have 0 Friends, Kip Drordy questioned whether The Hurt Locker deserved Best Picture. 2009 had a massive quantity of worthwhile films, and all 9 runners-up were on my Top 40 for that year. The universal acclaim and almost 50 accolades that caught my attention justified my decision, in my eyes.

The King's Speech: #2 on my Top 40 Films of 2010. Once again, all 9 runners-up were on my BEST list. I put The Social Network at #1, but it was by an extremely narrow margin! I know that many of the best films of the New Millennium may not be remembered for years to come, but upon seeing them, I honestly believe they were the best those years had to offer. As for films being remembered, that factors into my Retro Best of lists, which cover films from 1999 and before.
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Spt. 12: Dolphin Tale 2, Search Party. Spt. 19: The Maze Runner.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by GTAHater767

A Beautiful Mind: #24 Best on my Countdown of Cinema 2001. When I compiled the 2001 list, I wanted to avoid cliches as much as possible with the order I put them in. Besides, this film lost points for some flaws, particularly that John Forbes-Nash only heard the voices of three of the characters; he never saw them visually.
1)So...you're admitting personal thoughts intervened with your choices.Just like the Oscars...sometimes.
2)It's a flaw if you're the kind of person who prefers when movies based on real life have to be as accurate as possible.Some don't care about that.For me,it depends.I think him not seeing them would've ruined the movie.

Chicago: #5 Best on my Countdown of Cinema 2002. #1 on my list was The Pianist.
I gave THE PIANIST 4/10.I admit my personal thoughts intervened as well.Because half of my family is jewish,I try my best not to feel emotional when watching Holocaust movies.But that's not the only reason.The movie suffered from bad narrative(it's based on memoirs and not a novel,which was written by someone who wasn't a pro writer).

Million Dollar Baby: #4 on my Top 30 Films of 2004. #1 was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
I gave them 5 and 8* respectively.

*I saw it a during a period when I needed to say happy endings.It could be a 9 if a I see it again.

The Departed: #1 on my Top 30 Films of 2006. Then again there wasn't much competition for Best Picture in 2006 either.
THE DEPARTED:9
THE QUEEN:4
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE:7
BABEL:9
I'd say I liked BABEL more,but I'm happy with THE DEPARTED.

The King's Speech: #2 on my Top 40 Films of 2010. I put The Social Network at #1, but it was by an extremely narrow margin!
I would've been happy with 127 HOURS,BLACK SWAN or TRUE GRIT,which I gave them all 9.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

I say it has more to do with the politics and payoffs. I mean, HELLO, does Harvey Wienstein rings any bells? That man will sell out his own mother if it meant a movie with his name attached to it would win an Oscar in any category.
I would offer that if we are discussing which movies get nominated, there almost certainly is a lot of politics and payoffs. But once the actual voting starts, I just don't buy it. It is one thing to significantly influence a silly organization like the Hollywood Foreign Press and manipulate the Golden Globs, which probably happens every year. But to make a firm impact on some 7000 AMPAS voters and try to swindle an auditing firm like Price-Waterhouse with a very solid reputation...you'd have an easier time convincing me that JKF was shot by 6 drunk Martians behind the railroad overpass near the grassy knoll. However, as I have attempted to point out above, the voting system lends itself to bizzare results, and I'm absolutely certain that a few movies, and probably actors have benefited from a flawed system. If I could ever get my hands on the voting results from a few years where there have been suspicious winners, I think I could prove it. But since AMPAS won't release results, it will have to remain a suspicion.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 6:43am
Considering that all the major film studios are owned by mega-rich corporations with plenty of money to burn, it wouldn't be all that hard to payoff a good percentage of 7000 voters. Just saying.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 7:25am

But 4 of the last 6 Best Picture winners weren't the product of major studios. Conspiracies are always easy to cook up, but I haven't seen very many for which there is reasonable evidence. A suggestion of impropriety isn't impropriety. To draw an appropriate quote from the bowels of Hollywood, "SHOW ME THE MOOOONEEEEY!!!!! Or, to employ Hanlon's razor, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." In this case, I think the voting system is ultimately the problem.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 9:43am
I know saturnwatcher is the kind of person who is always ready with his shotgun to shoot down any and all conspiracies that are brought up, but given this day and age in which governments are pretty much doing the bidding of Wall Street and banks because that's where their money for their political campaigns are coming from, can you really blame people for claiming other areas of business are paying under the table to get the results that they want?

Given the current lazy approach of pumping out nothing but sequels, reboots, and remakes by the dozens every year because they want "sure things", is it really hard to believe all Hollywood cares for is where the buck stops, even if it means their most beloved of award shows? I'm pretty sure the Golden Globes are not alone, even if the Oscars has several times the amount of members to it.

As for the past 4 "independent" movies to win Best Picture, that's where the politics side of Hollywood comes in.  

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

But 4 of the last 6 Best Picture winners weren't the product of major studios. Conspiracies are always easy to cook up, but I haven't seen very many for which there is reasonable evidence. A suggestion of impropriety isn't impropriety. To draw an appropriate quote from the bowels of Hollywood, "SHOW ME THE MOOOONEEEEY!!!!! Or, to employ Hanlon's razor, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." In this case, I think the voting system is ultimately the problem.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 10:03am
Guilty as charged, for a simple reason...I will offer one more quote from a different context. The late Arthur C. Clarke was once asked what he thought of UFO's. His reply, "If you have never seen a UFO, you aren't very observant. And if you have seen as many as I have, you won't believe in them any more." I feel exactly the same way about conspiracies (and for the record, UFO's). Typically, the effort that would need to be expended simply makes them implausible, especially since, in this instance, it would not generally be one group working towards a single end, but several competing groups each having to outdo the efforts of others. That would make for a pretty messy situation, to put it mildly.  

I know saturnwatcher is the kind of person who is always ready with his shotgun to shoot down any and all conspiracies that are brought up,
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 10:11am
How so?  

As for the past 4 "independent" movies to win Best Picture, that's where the politics side of Hollywood comes in.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 12:32pm
One that comes to my mind would be "Hurt Locker" and the need to finally give a female director Best Director (and Best Picture along with it) just to shut up people who claim the Oscars are sexist. I don't mind though, because "Hurt Locker" was a damn good movie, and "Avatar" was just a fun display of what CGI can do these days.  

Originally posted by Vits

How so?

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 1:00pm
Now that I think about it...a lot of people claim THE DEPARTED won because BABEL (which won the Golden Globe and several other awards) was too similar to CRASH, and they didn't want to show favoritism.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 1:05pm
Babel is so-o-o-o many times better than Crash...  

But then, I really hate Crash and consider it one of the biggest mistakes in recent Oscar-history.
Grounder the Critic View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 2:13pm
I thought Crash was lame. And I agree that the Oscar thing with Crash was a joke.
Pictures move, do they?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 2:23pm
Again...how many people are against CRASH mainly because they think Oscar voters are homophobes?
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 2:50pm
Oh yeah, "Babel" should have won, but that was the year of "Okay, we need to finally give Martin Scorsese his Best Director Oscar that we have been denying him for decades now!" and Best Picture just went along with it.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Actually, Best Director is voted on (in the nominating process, at least) only by AMPAS members in the directing branch -- but Best Picture is the one category on which every voting member casts their ballot. So the pool from which each list of nominees was culled is not the same one. Thus, suggesting that "Best Picture just went along with it" is technically not a correct assessment of how Oscar voting works...  

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 2:51pm
Yeah, that was the year of  "we might get heat for giving Best Picture to a movie about gay cowboys, so let's go with the safer bet and give it to the movie about racism." I don't hate "Crash," but I wouldn't call it the Best Picture of that year...    

Originally posted by Grounder the Critic

I thought Crash was lame. And I agree that the Oscar thing with Crashwas a joke.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I may be setting off a hornet's next of angry discussion here, but here's a LINK to the 2005 Oscar nominees on IMDb and, I have to say, having seen four of the five Best Picture nominees, I would've picked CAPOTE or GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK over either CRASH or BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. 

Out of curiosity, I also went to RT and checked the ratings for all five 2005 Best Picture nominees, and with 76% favorable (LINK) CRASH had a lower total than GOOD NIGHT & GOOD LUCK's 94% (LINK), CAPOTE's 90% (LINK) BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN's 87% (LINK) or even MUNICH's 78% (LINK)... 

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 3:05pm
I would've been happier if the Oscar results had been like the Globes: Best Picture for BABEL, and Best Director for Scorsese

Originally posted by Michaels

Oh yeah, "Babel" should have won, but that was the "Okay, we need to finally give Martin Scorsese his Best Director Oscar that we have been denying him for decades now!" year and Best Picture went along with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>