Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 27th RAZZIE® AWARDS DISCUSSIONS & FORUMS > LADY IN THE WATER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A Truly DRIPPY "Thriller" ? ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Truly DRIPPY "Thriller" ? ?
    Posted: November 16 2010 at 1:19pm
At the end of DARK KNIGHT, the title character decides to take the blame for the death of HARVEY DENT. The twist didn't completely alter the whole plot, but it was still a twist... 

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

"Dark Knight" didn't have a twist. Nor did "Insomnia".
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 5:36pm
Yeah, but that's the difference between Nolan and M. Night -- Nolan's twists are just plot points, M. Night's twists alter the entire plot and overshadow the rest of the story. That's the point I'm trying to make.  

Originally posted by Vits

"Dark Knight" didn't have a twist. Nor did "Insomnia".
At the end of DARK KNIGHT, the title character decides to take the blame for the death of HARVEY DENT. The twist didn't completely alter the whole plot, but it was still a twist.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 8:06pm
Stop pulling things out of thin air -- #1, 2, and 4 had true twist endings. Signs is more of a revelation instead of a twist but it definitely depends what one's definition of a twist ending is. LitW, as said several posts earlier, has a PLOT twist. You know the difference between a twist ENDING and a PLOT twist? Apparently, not. And did you see The Happening at all? They revealed that within 20 minutes of the freaking film. You're also missing MNS's first two films, which don't have twists. Thus, more than half of his films don't have twists.

And no, MNS's twist aren't the main selling point of his films. They are part of the story if you even bothered to pay attention to his films. But anyway, I can foresee that we're going to argue like "Are not!" and "Are too!" so it's pretty pointless arguing.  

Oh, deny, deny, deny. Shall I count the ways?

1. "Sixth Sense", Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.
2. "Unbreakable", Samuel L. Jackson caused all the accidents.
3. "Signs", everything that happened to the family happen just to fight off the aliens.
4. "Village", it's actually a modern day closed off community.
5. "LITW", they got all the roles of the story wrong.
6. "Happening", it's all the trees' doing!

Although not all "endings", still twists. Yeah, Nolan has his own, but they are part of the storytelling, not the main selling point or trademark.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 8:10pm
Close, but no cigar as to my opinion of Nolan (that was sarcasm, btw). Of the films he has made so far, here are my ratings: 

Memento: 10/10 

Batman Begins:
10/10 
The Prestige: 6/10 
The Dark Knight: 10/10 
Inception: 8/10 

You were saying?

You know, I read over some of moviewizguy’s comments and posts, and I think I figured his taste in movies out. Based on what I have read, MWG is one of those sensitive, in touch with his emotions kind of guys who loves a movie with tear-jerking, lump in the throat moments. And of course, M. Night has provided him with several movies fitting that description. But this hatred for Chris Nolan, what is that all about? I know what it is: jealousy and bitterness.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 8:23pm
Amazing, you can have good taste when you want to (although your love of the "out of 10" system is still flawed). 

But still, why the hate? My theory remains "sour grapes."  

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 8:30pm
Wow, MWG, you're one to talk -- the master of pulling things out of the air to suit your opinions. As I mentioned with Vits, although not all of these twists happened at the end, they are still twists that OVERSHADOW and/or ALTER the rest of the story. So regardless of where they are during the movie, M. Night's movies are full of overshadowing twists. And yes, M. Night's twists are his main selling point because he made the mistake of having them in EVERY movie he makes. As a result, twists have become his trademark and that is why people stopped going to his movies -- because ending with a big twist is no longer enough of an excuse to bother seeing his movies. And then he followedup  by forgetting how to make a good movie in general. 

But hey if you want to stop with this "Are not, are too" arguments about M. Night, simply stop defending him in a forum that thinks he's a joke! But no, you have to be a sucker for punishment and keep coming back for more.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 9:07am
My ratings of Nolan's movies are: 
MEMENTO:10/10 
"BATMAN" BEGINS:6/10 
THE PRESTIGE:4/10 
THE DARK KNIGHT:8/10 
INCEPTION:8/10 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 12:33pm
I wasn't hating on Nolan -- I was saying that sometimes, he makes the same mistakes as MNS. Yet people bash on MNS for those mistakes, and praise Nolan while ignoring those same mistakes.  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 1:08pm
And this all started because you asked why people hate "LITW", and I gave you a reply, as well as a listing of reasons why Nolan is more respected than M. Night by the movie industry at large.

I know you think M. Night is a god among morals, but to many, his movies are becoming one failure after another. I understand you like said performance here or said scene there, but to the rest of us here, these things are like diamonds inside of a cowpie. Yes, they are nice diamonds, but the overpowering stink of the cow s*** makes it hard for us to see the diamonds. You can easily see the diamonds through the s***, but we don't single out a performance here or a scene there, we judge a movie as a whole.

I know every so many amount of months you like to come back here and defend "Village" or "LITW", or "Happening", but doing so HERE is an epic waste of time. You're not going to change anyone's mind about M. Night's failing career, or that he's not Razzie material, or that we should take back the Razzies he was awarded, etc.

You want to praise M. Night, do it on whatever fan sites he might have or on IMDb, because we just don't f***ing care about him at this site and you can rant on about how great you think he is, we're just going to roll our eyes about it. It's like the old joke goes, a man goes to his doctor and says "Doc, it hurts when I do this", and the doctor replies "Then don't do that". You don't want meaningless arguements about M. Night, then don't post about him here, because the Razzie verdict on him was casted long ago and it's not ever changing.
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 7:58am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: All this back-and-forth over an all-but-forgotten movie that most everyone agrees was the beginning of the end for Shyamalan's career is kinda ridiculous -- As is comparing M. Night with Chris Nolan

From almost any perspective (financial, critical, public perception) at this point in time Nolan would have to be acknowledged as the superior/more "successful" of the two. Simply put, with the back-to-back smashes DARK KNIGHT and INCEPTION, Nolan's career is clearly on the ascendant, while the back-to-back-to-back disappointments of LADY IN THE WATER, THE HAPPENING and LAST AIRBENDER, indicate Shyamalan's career is, at best, on life support...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 10:35am
Yeah, I know, but I was simply answering MWG's questions, using the same reasoning that you did above. But in true MWG fashion, he just sticks his fingers in his ears and goes "lalalalala, Shymamalan is still a master of his craft, lalalalala". Much like Miguel refusing to admit Hollywood is ruining their own history by remaking classics that are fine the way they were, MWG refuses to accept the FACT that he is of a VERY small minority who still gives a damn about M. Nut's career, past or present.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 4:05pm
You're in a small minority saying that Being John Malkovich was a bad film. Your point is...?  

Yeah, I know, but I was simply answering MWG's questions, using the same reasoning that you did above. But in true MWG fashion, he just sticks his fingers in his ears and goes "lalalalala, Shymamalan is still a master of his craft, lalalalala". Much like Miguel refusing to admit Hollywood is ruining their own history by remaking classics that are fine the way they were, MWG refuses to accept the FACT that he is of a VERY small minority who still gives a damn about M. Nut's career, past or present.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 5:17pm
At least I don't go around "Being John Malkovich" message boards trying to convince its fans that they are wrong for liking the movie, because I know full well that none of them will agree with me, no matter what I say. It's a little something we like to call common sense. Like for example, if you're a Boston Celtics fans, clearly you don't post how much you love that team on an LA Lakers' forum, because you will be the forum's punching bag and running joke ... which is what you are to this forum.

Or say, if a certain forum strongly believes that a certain director shouldn't be respected because his last four movies were financial or critical failures, and his public image is so negatively looked upon to the point he may never be able to restore it (because, well, these are FACTS), a person with common sense would understand he shouldn't waste his time trying to convince the forum's members to reconsider their views of this director, because they will never agree with him, no matter what he says.  

Originally posted by moviewizguy

And you're in a small minority that Being John Malkovich was a bad film. Your point is...?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2010 at 1:30pm
Sorry,Moviewizguy,he's right.But not for the reasons he thinks.If we use his dislike for a good movie as an arguement in every fight we won't be better than him.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2010 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Vits

Sorry,Moviewizguy,he's right.But not for the reasons he thinks.
Okay, so you're saying using common sense is wrong and trying in vain to convince a message board full of people who hold the polar opposite opinion as you to change that opinion is a good idea? The real reason you won't get the better of me, saturnwatcher, Headrazz or anyone else here who thinks M. Night's career is in the toilet now is because we have these useful things called facts to back us. Facts that HeadRazz, saturnwatcher, and I have all listed time and time again against M. Night that can't be denied, that has caused him to reach the low point in his career that he is in right now. But as I mentioned, MWG just sticks his fingers in his ears and goes "lalalalalala" because he doesn't want to hear it, nor does he seem to care. Again, please, use common sense, don't post your ideals in a forum that has a strong stance against that ideal.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 9:49am
Read the whole sentence!I wasn't talking about your thoughts on Shyamalan,but about your thoughts on MALKOVICH.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>