Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > COMPLETE LIST of ELIGIBLE 2007 RELEASES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

COMPLETE LIST: Jan. 1 - Dec. 31, 2007

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: COMPLETE LIST: Jan. 1 - Dec. 31, 2007
    Posted: January 18 2008 at 2:35pm

Originally posted by XmasWnd4WrstPic

But, I guess I'm also not as cynical as some of you. I believe there many films that emerge out of Hollywood with artistic intentions first.

On this point, I am inclined to largely disagree. I think there was a time when that was the reality, but how many Oscar worthy films are being produced by the major studios these days? The Indies have dominating Best Picture nominations over the past sevearl years. I think this is largely because most of them come from young directors who don't necessarily pursue paths that are safe and popular. I'm beginning to believe that the only questions asked of anyone bringing a movie project to the major studios these days are:

Have we seen it before?

Will it get us 2 good weeks at the box-office?

If the answer to both is "yes" filming will begin the next day.

And some films that could be seen as both an artistic achievement, and a popcorn commercial blockbuster. (Lord of the Rings comes to mind. While I had problems with a few aspects of the story, I thought it was a beautiful, moving film that reflected some truths about the world.)

At the risk of making an unpopular statement, which rarely stops me from speaking my mind on this board , I thought Lord of the Rings (book and movies) was garbage. Could someone please explain to me why the bad guys, who controlled pretty much everything except one stupid ring, and including the mountain where the all powerful ring was forged, couldn't just go out and forge about a million more and sell them on The Shopping Network? And why did every wide place in the road have to have some mighty sounding name? "Look Balbo, it's the dung heap of Rama Lama Yabba Dabba Doo!" Actually, I have about a million questions dealing with the absurdity of the plot. Admittedly, way back in college, I attempted to read the first book. After about 10 pages, I winged it out of my second story window. I watched the first movie...sort of. Most of the time I spent studying the back of my eyelids.

As for Transformers, sure it was money-first. But hey, the common man enjoyed it right?

I don't know. I haven't talked to him lately. But I was not enthusiastic.

And honestly, I don't know where to look for good indie films.

If you live in a reasonably large city, there is probably an arthouse theater. Colleges usually show indie films as well. If there is neither an arthouse  or college nearby, try Blockbuster or Netflicks.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
XmasWnd4WrstPic View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote XmasWnd4WrstPic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 2:56pm
saturnwatcher, it's okay if you don't like Lord of the Rings. I tend to strongly disagree with most people on the planet, so if you're one too, no big deal. :P

As for the indie film thing...I do live in a city of a reasonable size. Edmonton, Alberta, in case you didn't clue in by the fact that I was an extra in a movie that takes place in West EDMONTON Mall...:P

I know there are places in my city where I can view indie movies. I just have trouble finding good stuff. And, I have a problem with most indie content anyway. (indie films (live action AND animation, comix, and videogames all have many of the same problems, imo)

You see, I think that too much indie stuff is so proud of the fact that it's independently-produced, that they ignore storytelling just as much as sell-outs do.

"WOO! I'M INDIE! OBTUSE SYMBOLISM HERE WE COME!" In the case of indie animation and comics, people tend to try to make the visuals so far from the mainstream "look." Why? I don't know, and I'm not sure they do either. All they know is that it looks different, therefore, it must be better. There's an attitude there, and I don't think it's that much more intelligent than trying to make a story built upon "marketability."

That's why I was hoping for recommendations. I know there must be some good independent content out there amongst the vast piles of garbage...but I'm not sure where to look.
Christmas in Wonderland didn't get a single Razzie nomination. Truly tragic.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 3:20pm

As for the indie film thing...I do live in a city of a reasonable size. Edmonton, Alberta, in case you didn't clue in by the fact that I was an extra in a movie that takes place in West EDMONTON Mall...:P

I'll confess up front that I don't read every post that ends up on this forum. In fact, I probably don't see 10%. I unfortunately missed your reference to being a film extra. Actually, my wife and I were extras on a TV show that was filming about a week ago...some show that will air on Food Network. We were recruited while attending a hockey game. I guess it just goes to prove that anyone can get their five minutes of fame. (Andy Warhol predicted 15 minutes, but the population keeps growing fast)

I know there are places in my city where I can view indie movies. I just have trouble finding good stuff. And, I have a problem with most indie content anyway. (indie films (live action AND animation, comix, and videogames all have many of the same problems, imo)

There are a lot of bad Indie films released every year (note my signature line) but if I have my choice between someone trying to create a piece of crap with an air of originality vs. the same piece of crap I've seen a dozen times, give me the air of originality. Ultimately, finding quality indie films requires a little homework. There are all sorts of websites that provide information about upcoming releases, both from indies and the studios.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
panda728 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote panda728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 1:03pm

Ok, so I'd like some feedback.  How is Because I Said So not listed for this year's Razzie for worst movie?  I can't speak for the rest, but I said through Because I Said So and a very masculine part of me was dying by each second.  It is absolute garbage.  Hot Mandy Moore couldn't even save the movie.    

Any thoughts?  I can't be the only one who thought this movie was totally awful.

Also, thank you saturnwatcher for saying what I have said for years regarding Lord of the Rings.

The Panda

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 2:08pm
I'm dissapointed by the lack of Schuamcher!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 4:41pm

In short, it was a crowded field this year.

I'm renting Because I Said So, and as dumb and unfunny as that comedy is, in no way does it have as many unintentional laughs as I Know Who Killed Me.

I felt going into this round that I Know Who Killed Me and Norbit were going to be in there, based on the conversations in this forum and various critics lists.  I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry took me by surprised.  I only saw one horrible sequence from that movie  (the one with Rob Schneider), during the preview nightand if the rest of the movie was anywhere near that low, then I shouldn't be surprised.  Was it worse that Because I Said So?  I feel it probably is, because, although there is nothing endearing about a narcissistic perfectionist who is trying to live her life vicariously through her unmarried daughter, there is even less comedy in Rob Schneider playing the Chinese owner of a Niagara Falls wedding chapel using the most hideous stereotypes.

Which seemed to be a theme last year, considering Eddie Murphy made the same mistake in Norbit, along with dressing in drag in a fat suit.  It, too, appeared to be as a laughless, annoying comedy, much more than Because I Said So.

As for Bratz: The Movie, the HeadRAZZBerry showed us the closing musical number "Brattitude".  After it started, I quipped wondering when they were going to start singing "Xanadu", the sequence was that bad.  And then they added in a gospel choir, and then a marching band, and my jaw just dropped at how bad it was.

So, you're left with Daddy Day Camp which, with its bad acting and unfunny, rehashed comedy, hands down, was worse than Because I Said So

You'll have to ask whether others agreed or disagreed.   Myself, I would have like to have seen Epic Movie, Awake and Blood and Chocolate in the running.  Considering that all the movies nominated were bad, though, I don't have much of an argument against them. 

Besides, Because I Said So earned a nomination in the Worst Actress catergory, so it's not completely missing.

For me, the movie I expected to be on the ballot and didn't make it at all was The Reaping.  Hillary Swank dodged a bullet this year.  I'm surprised Captivity caught the voters' attention instead, although I admit the advertising was tasteless and that scene with the blender made me laugh. 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 11:50am

MY OSCAR RANT: "Norbit" gets an Oscar nod, "Surf's Up" gets a Best Animated Film nomination (over "The Simpsons Movie") the over-rated "Sicko" gets a Best Documentary Nod (while "The King Of Kong" and "In The Shadow Of The Moon" didn't) "Into The Wild" and "The Diving Bell And The Butterfly" hardly got any, Cate Blanchett got two nominations (because she's Cate Blanchett?) "Spider-Man 3" and "Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix" had way better special effects than "The Golden Compass", and "Zodiac" and "Before The Devil Knows You're Dead" didn't get any.

This leads me to the conclusion that the Acadamy voters are F*CKING morons!! 

Response from Head RAZZberry: I, too, was stunned that they failed to nominated SIMPSONS MOVIE (and included the decidedly mediocre SURF'S UP) and generally ignored many far more deserving contenders thoughout their field of nominees. I think Blanchett's Best Actress nomination speaks to the lack of strong roles for women in general (though their snub of Angelina Jolie was surprising).

Based on the lack of movie-goer interest in what they've nominated (none of their contenders even grossed $90 million) I would expect that, strike or no strike, the ratings for this year's Giving Out of the Little Gold Naked Men will tank...BIG TIME!

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 2:16pm

It's amazing Norbit got any Oscar nods, considering all the bad press it had, not to mention the rumors that this movie cost Eddie Murphy his Oscar last year.

I wish that we had nominated Cate Blanchett this year, because, after SAG nominated her, I had a feeling the Oscars would, too.  It would have been another example of how the Oscars got it wrong and the Razzies got it right.  But she wasn't nominated, so there you go.

Don't forget that Transformers received 3 nods, but we were expecting it to get the special effects nomination (and it will probably win it, and deservedly so).  Sound mixing and sound editing?  You tell me. 

panda728 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote panda728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 2:32pm

Transformers has great special effects, but it was tough to tell the difference between some of the transformer characters at times.  Overall, I thought that Transformers was a terrible movie.  Although, I'm not a teenager, so that's probably part of the problem.

Norbit got Oscar nods?  I had no idea.  I haven't seen it, but I've heard nothing but good. 

I was just thinking about someone who could have been up for worst actor back in the 80's.  Charlie Sheen had a great performance in Platoon and followed it up with an absolutely awful performance in Wall Street.  How did he take such a turn?  Maybe it was just the part that Oliver Stone had written.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 5:42pm

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

the overrated "Sicko" gets a Best Documentary Nod while "The King Of Kong" and "In The Shadow Of The Moon" didn't,

The snub of In The Shadow Of The Moon was the most disgusting oversight in this year's field. Sicko was deserving of a nomination, but In The Shadow was far and away the best feature length documentary released in 2007. Shame on the AMPAS.

I also agree with your assessment that The Simpson's Movie got screwed. Twenty years from now, people are going to be walking down the street singing "Spiderpig, Spiderpig!" and everyone will remember exactly where it came from.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 2:49am

"Because I Said So" is my second worst movie for 2007. It only avoids the top spot because "I Know Who Killed Me" exists. "Because I Said So" is, also my tenth worst movie of all time, after "In The Cut", "Freddy Got Fingered", "Running With Scissors", "Hotel", "Dirty Love", "Inland Empire", "I Know Who Killed Me", "Rollerball", and "Batman & Robin"

Originally posted by panda728

Any thoughts?  I can't be the only one who thought this movie was totally awful.

Also, thank you saturnwatcher for saying what I have said for years regarding Lord of the Rings.

The Panda

moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 11:36am

Speaking of undeserving Oscar nods, does anyone else hate Best Picture nominee ATONEMENT? I think it reeks of false drama and has been nominated just because it presents itself as "distinguished."

But that's just my opinion... 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 3:17am
"Atonement" was a dissapointment. The only reason I didn't say anything about in my rant was that I saw a couple hours after I wrote it. My mom wanted to see it and since it was up for Oscars I went as well.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 1:03am

There really wasn't much for the Oscars to choose from this year, and IMHO, there isn't a single movie among this year's nominees that would have received a second look in an average year. There were probably a couple of better choices than Atonement, but not by any large margin. The strongest overall category this year was Feature Documentary, and the AMPAS voters botched it there too (as previously noted).   

Originally posted by moat

Speaking of undeserving Oscar nods, does anyone else hate Best Picture nominee ATONEMENT? I think it reeks of false drama and has been nominated just because it presents itself as "distinguished."

But that's just my opinion... 

panda728 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote panda728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 10:01am

ShumacherH8ter: "Because I Said So" is my second worst movie for 2007. It only avoids the top spot because "I Know Who Killed Me" exists. "Because I Said So" is, also my tenth worst movie of all time, after "In The Cut", "Freddy Got Fingered", "Running With Scissors", "Hotel", "Dirty Love", "Inland Empire", "I Know Who Killed Me", "Rollerball", and "Batman & Robin"

I think we have a similar taste for movies.  I will normally finish a movie, no matter how bad, but I turned off "Inland Empire" before I was 30 minutes in.  And yes, "Batman & Robin" is awful.  However, I do actually like "Freddy Got Fingered" a little.  Not one I'd watch much, but it has its moments.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 1:22pm
Make "Bratz" the second worst movie of the year. It was worse than "Because I Said So". It 4 on the really painful list.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>