Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > VALKYRIE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

STRONG SUCKER FOR 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Queen_of_Toad View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STRONG SUCKER FOR 2008
    Posted: November 29 2008 at 1:30am
OK. From which sum on is a movie considered a profit?
USD 215 mio worldwide doesn't seem that much to me. Or I am being wrong?
I also heard that the US box office was the only one that really counted in the industry. Is this wrong?
Please, forgive my poor English. It's not my native language.
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 8:14am

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: It used to be that about 50%-65% of ticket sales ended up going to the studio in the form of "rentals." But these daze, each case is individual -- Terms are negotiated on a title-by-title basis, and sometimes on a nation-by-nation basis.

But a good rule of thumb is that OVER 50% of the grosses on most movies go into the studios' coffers (sometimes more than 70%). So, if your estimated budget figures are accurate, VALKYRIE would need to break $215 million worldwide before it would reach "break-even."  If the advance word on this film is any indication, it'll be lucky to make even half that much...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2008 at 11:42pm
Now, how much does this turkey need to make in order to break even? It cost something like USD 145 million (promotion included). I know that about half of ticket sales go to movie theatres / distributors. It would then need something over USD 200 million before the studio makes a profit.  Am I wrong here? Please, correct me if I am wrong.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 4:25pm

True. Matter of fact, it seems that these day, studios are COUNTING on the DVD making more money than the theater release. But that doesn't excuse them for making unholy bad, direct to DVD sequels to sub-par movies.

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

It isn't really true that if your movie didn't break even at the Box Office, it bombed. Most movies these days generate about 60% of their total revenues from video rental, DVD sales, cable runs and TV rights. So initial box-office isn't as large a factor as it used to be.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 9:21am
It isn't really true that if your movie didn't break even at the Box Office, it bombed. Most movies these days generate about 60% of their total revenues from video rental, DVD sales, cable runs and TV rights. So initial box-office isn't as large a factor as it used to be.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 12:29am
Well yeah, that was him using his last bit of strength he had left before he went into a coma. But enough Superman Returns -- Can we  return to discussing this forum's movie again?
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 3:32pm

Well, Superman Returns had many comic book fans rolling their eyes that he was able to lift -- an entire landmass made up of the one thing in the world that can kill him. I think that scene alone was what killed the movie for most viewers.

Originally posted by movieman

Originally posted by moviewizguy

I loved Superman Returns. One of the best
superhero movies ever made. It's not bomb. It just didn't make as much
money as expected. There's a difference.

I loved Superman as well, the fantastic idea of a hero coming to terms with
himself was executed in such a beautiful and extraordinary way was just so
fantastic. The fact that this movie is being directed by
the same guy that directed Superman is the only faith in this movie. While it
made $390 million worldwide when the budget was $270 million, I wouldn't
call it a "bomb", just a "disappointment"

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 1:02pm

I loved Superman Returns as well, the fantastic idea of a hero coming to terms with himself was executed in such a beautiful and extraordinary way was just so fantastic. The fact that this movie is being directed by the same guy that directed Superman is the only faith in this movie. While it made $390 million worldwide when the budget was $270 million, I wouldn't call it a "bomb" -- just a "disappointment"

I loved Superman Returns. One of the best
superhero movies ever made. It's not bomb. It just didn't make as much money as expected. There's a difference.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 2:11am

In the eyes of studios, if your movie didn't break even at the Box Office, it bombed. "Superman Returns" didn't break even until after it was on DVD. Although it was a character-driven movie, it seriously lacked action, which is a major thing that comic book fans want to see in their favorite comic book character movies. But I'm just saying this because of what reactions I have gotten from comic book fans, which for the most part is that Singer failed to tell the version of Superman that fans wanted to see.

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 2:02am
I loved Superman Returns. One of the best superhero movies ever made. It's not bomb. It just didn't make as much money as expected. There's a difference.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 4:11pm
Keep in mind: Bryan Singer also directed "Superman Returns," which bombed big time at the Box Office (especially compared to the recent Spider-Man and Batman movies).
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by cvcjr13

That is true.  So, if Tom Cruise plays the same role over and over and, even worse, he's not really acting but is just being himself, (...)

It doesn't seem that Tom Cruise acts.  (...)

It's nice being paid well for just being yourself, but that's not acting.

Isn't that the trouble with Tommy Gurl that he became too good at being himself in the recent years?
nico View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote nico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 1:22pm

There are much better sources to get your information from than  some American-made Cruise vehicle that is tailor made for Tom. There have been several German versions made, and I would suggest that you seek those out instead.

Response from Head RAZZberry: FYI, here's an IMDb LINK, using the character name from VALKYRIE, to a listing of other versions of this same story... 

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2007 at 1:37pm
I'm looking forward to it because I want to hear this story (for a long time, I never knew someone on Hitler's side was trying to kill him). And Bryan Singer is directing it, with Tom Cruise starring in it.
nico View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote nico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2007 at 11:12am
Cruise is a one trick pony. I have no doubt in my mind that Valkyrie will be a laughing stock and earn Cruise his next Razzie. I am so looking forward to it.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 7:08pm

If he plays the same role, which some calls good, then how is it bad?

Go back to what I said earlier.  "However, it really concerns values.  Most people value an actor who becomes totally different, convincing and relatable (or repulsive, but in a way where you want to keep on watching) characters over an actor who essentially plays the same role in every movie."

That is true.  So, if Tom Cruise plays the same role over and over and, even worse, he's not really acting but is just being himself, and if "most people value an actor who becomes. . . different. . . characters" over what Tom Cruise does, then most people don't value Tom Cruise that highly, at best.  I used the words "if", not because this is hypothetical, because it's not.  I'm just laying it out for you.

It doesn't seem that Tom Cruise acts.  He's very watchable, he's very entertaining, people still pay to see Cruise, but it seems what you see on the screen is him.  Sure, those aren't his words, and he would probably never be in those situations, but it seems what you see in the film is who he is.  If you're just being yourself, people don't consider that to be acting.  So, to claim you're an actor, when you're not even acting, makes you a bad actor.

It's nice being paid well for just being yourself, but that's not acting.

Do you see our point of view?  I mean, you can still like Tom Cruise.  I think he did well in Collateral.  But even when I like him, he's still Tom Cruise.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>