Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 29th ANNUAL RAZZIE® NOMINEES > SPEED RACER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

BUT IS IT SUPPOSED to be THIS STUPID?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BUT IS IT SUPPOSED to be THIS STUPID?!?!?
    Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:55am

SURE, WE ALL LOVED SPEED RACER WHEN WE WERE KIDS...LOVED LAUGHING AT IT for ITS BLATANTLY LAME DIALOGUE, ANIMATION, CHARACTERS and SITUATIONS, THAT IS.

BUT WHEN YOU DECIDE to MAKE a $100 MILLION REMAKE of THIS MATERIAL, THAT FINE LINE BETWEEN CLEARLY BEING DOOFY on PURPOSE and JUST COMING OFF as DOOFY by ACCIDENT GETS BLURRY.  AND WHEN the MOVIE HAS an OVERALL LOOK and COLOR SCHEME LIKE THIS ONE, the AUDIENCE's EYES CAN GET BLEARY. MOST of the CRITICS ARE WAXING WEARY.  AND ITS INVESTORS?? WE'D GUESS THEY'RE LEARY...OF EVER MAKING BACK THEIR INVESTMENT!  

AND NOW, WITHOUT FURTHER QUERY...RAZZIE FORUM MEMBERS, START YOUR ENGINES and HAVE a GO (AT) SPEED RACER, GO (AT) SPEED RACER, GO!!  

SARANDON: "Well, yes, you might say I did get off 

Scott-free for MR. WOODCOCK last year...But maybe 

this year, I won't be So Berry Lucky!"  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 12:20pm

I'm confused by the reaction to this one -- From the trailer and TV spots, I figured it was intentionally stupid. Are the critics over-looking this intent, or is the movie really just a total piece of crap??

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Apparently it's as much the look and sound of this film as any intended doofiness that's turning off critics and audiences at early screenings: Word is that it's a headache-inducing kaleidoscope of color, sound and motion that has a similar effect to being tossed around in a dryer with a load of overly colorful beach towels for two hours and fiteen minutes...

Everything SUX!
JoBloMovieGoer View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoBloMovieGoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 12:24pm

I could've told you the minute this one was green-lighted that it would end up on this Forum.

Interesting that you gize started a discussion of "What Happens in Vegas" (which is getting almost shockingly good reviews) several daze before starting this discussion of "Speed Racer."

When it comes time to announce the Razzie nominees for 2008, I expect to be chanting: "Go, Speed Racer, GO!" 

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 2:43pm
I'm going to see this on IMAX! Ughfgs h aha!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I'M SO HYPED!!!! *orgasm*
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 3:03pm

Strike one:  The scene in the trailer where one of the race cars hits a mountain, probably referencing the two-episode cartoon "The Most Dangerous Race", looks soooo hokey. 

Strike two:  Praire Miller gave it a good review

Strike three:  What can you say when longtime critic Rex Reed says"I can sit through just about anything, but I draw the line at two hours and 15 minutes of fuchsia vomit." 

I'm still going to watch it because I grew up with it, but I'll probably hate myself for wasting the time and money. 

And I wouldn't be comparing the bad reviews for Speed Racer to the bad reviews for What Happens in Vegas just yet.  After all, only 11 critics have weighed in on WHIV as of the time of this post, among whom was Prairie Miller, who gave it a good review, too

moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 9:39pm
I always thought the title was redundant.

That came after I thought it was a pun on "drug runner."
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 1:32am
Judging by the physics at work on these races courses, combined with the afformentioned color overloads, one can guess Andy and Larry were deep inside a hallucinatory Matrix of their own when they wrote this.  Since viewer response seems lackluster, we may indeed soon hear calls of "Go, Speed Racer, go!" all right--GO AWAY, that is! 
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 4:27am
I grew up on this cartoon as well, however after seeing the previews for this I just did not get the urge to "GO" into my wallet and pay the $10 to see this. I think the Wachowski Siblings (Can't say Brothers anymore since one of them is now a converted female) made a major mistake trying to bring the "Japanese Anime" feeling into the movie and did not go for a more contemporary look instead.
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 4:22am
Why are they releasing such bad movies this year? I love going to the movies, but I've spent some long stretches not bothering because some of the movies look so lousy. Here is a list of some examples:

* 88 Minutes (I thought it was gonna be Crank. Now, it's Junk)
* 10,000 B.C. (Roland Emmerich joins Tony Scott in the has-been catergory)
* 27 Dresses (Katherine Hiegl, from what I heard, saves this film. But she needs a better agent)
* College Road Trip (Martin Lawrence tap-dances in Disney Land with Raven-Symone and Brenda Song. Already I'm passing. From what I heard, it was bearing the National Lampoon logo)
* Deception (Who knew McGregor and Jackman would stoop so low. Oh yeah, Hugh did Van Helsing!)
* Doomsday (I was looking forward to this film. But then the negative word pushed me back. Ah, at least there was Horton Hears a Who)
* Drillbit Taylor (Not even Judd Apatow or Seth Rogen could've been involved with this borefest)
* The Eye (See One Missed Call and Shutter)
* First Sunday (Someone's already copycatting Tyler Perry)
* Fool's Gold (Too solid actors and a good premise wasted)
* Hottie and the Nottie (No love for Paris Hilton)
* In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (Uwe Boll is not only an awful director, he's an arrogant one. He's challenging naysayers to boxing matches)
* Jumper (Hayden Christensen is James Franco, without saving graces)
* Mad Money (Don't know, don't care. Much like TomKat)
* Made of Honor (Another bad romantic comedy that disappeared from the face of the earth... I think)
* Meet the Browns (More TP junk. I'm surprised no one considers his films for Razzie nods. Oh, that's right, it's the Christian undertones. And it "means well") 
* Meet the Spartans (Do I need to explain?)
* Never Back Down (Another bad drama for idiotic and impressionable teens)
* One Missed Call (So far, the worst J-horror remake of the year)
* Over Her Dead Body (Not even Paul Rudd could save Mrs. Parker's vanity project)
* Prom Night (Not a J-Horror film, but it is a bad remake of a 70's slasher with super-hot teenagers, and Idris Elba phoning it in)
* Semi-Pro (A potentially good sports spoof ruined by a leaden pace and an inflated ego. Here's hoping Will does better in Step Brothers, least he's got Adam McKay and Judd Apatow backing him up)
* Shutter (See One Missed Call)
* Step Up 2 the Streets (Another dance film/teen angst film)
* Street Kings (First lousy films centered around the war, and now we have a cartoonish crime drama? I heard Forest Whitaker was really bad) 
* Witless Protection (That film disappeared after a week. Need I say more?)

Now, let's look into the future: 

* Ace Ventura 3 (Dumb and Dumberer, Son of the Mask, Evan Almighty, and this?)
* Bedtime Stories (So, let me get this straight. Adam Sandler has teamed up with Adam Shankman for a family fantasy comedy? Eww! I see shades of Click coming around, complete with melodrama!)
* Beverly Hills Chihuaua (sp.? Ah, who cares. Scooby-Doo director takes on dogs...again)
* Big Stan (I do have love for Rob Schneider, but this film looks like unfunny deleted scenes from Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo)
* Bolt (I originally looked forward to this, but then I heard Miley Cyrus is in it, and believe me, I hate that overexposed, no-talent excuse of a pop star)
* College (From what I heard, it's a rehash of Judd Apatow and National Lampoon films)
* Death Race (Mr. Know-It-All Tom Cruise goes for pleasing the younger audiences with a new Jason Statham film that looks all but interesting. f**k TOM CRUISE, MAN! Now that I got it out of my system...)
* Far Cry (Uwe Boll is back)
* Four Christmases (After Fred Claus, I don't think there's any going back for Vince Vaughn)
* He's Just Not That Into You (Ah, something about this film looks iffy, even if the cast is good)
* The House Bunny (I hope not. But Anna Faris's bubble-gum charm is nowhere in sight in trailers)
* Lakeview Terrace (The premise alone makes me queasy. Haven't we been down the racism road long enough?)
* Major Movie Star (Ach! Jessica Simpson returns. This may be DTV, however)
* Make It Happen (Take the director of a Tyler Perry film and writers of every stupid teen dance film you got, and hire one of the better soap opera vixens-turned-actresses to star and whadda you get? You get this)
* Mama I Wanna Sing! (I saw the plot in Wikipedia, and it reeks of Dreamgirls rip-off)
* Marley & Me (#2 for Owen Wilson this year. In more ways that one)
* Max Payne (Mark Wahlberg may liven up the preceedings, but he'll be bogged down by John Moore and Mila Kunis - who I'm sure will be ever-so-annoying in this one)
* Miss Conception (Love Heather Graham. Hate her choices in projects)
* My Best Friend's Girl (Dane Cook wallows in dookie again, now with Kate Hudson and Jason "Woody Allen Wannabe" Biggs)
* Possession (Another bad Gellar thriller)
* Postal (See Far Cry)
* Punisher: War Zone (It just doesn't look good. And the director is unknown)
* Repo! The Genetic Opera (Paris Hilton is back!)
* Righteous Kill (Robert De Niro and Al Pacino reunite in a film directed by the man who made 88 Minutes and co-starring Fitty Cent)
* Saw V (Another one?)
* Soul Men (Up in the air at this point, because Malcolm D. Lee is good in all parts. But the writer from Man of the House is involved too, so...)
You think you know, but you have no idea.
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 4:36am

You're not going to believe this, but in a reversal of fortune Speed Racer has a 36% Rotten Rate at RT and WHIV is only at 28%, Only in Hollywood!

I still agree with this being the Number#1 Worst of the Weak, however .

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 10:19am
Damn! I thought I was going to be right for once...saying that What Happens in Vegas will actually be good!
hastymanic View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote hastymanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 11:33am

The first time I saw the preview, I felt like looking away -- It was maddening. I couldn't imagine taking over two hours of it.

I was overjoyed when I saw the negative reviews pouring in. In interviews, Christina Ricci even spoke of her embarrassment when spouting some of the dialogue lines...

Hasty Manic
I am still looking for a movie worse than 'Manos: The Hands of Fate.' Alas, I remain ever hopeful!
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 1:15pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: "Cool beans!" for example?!?!?!?!
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 1:26pm

Originally posted by RoadDogXVIII

Why are they releasing such bad movies this year.

This year? However, I think the answer is pretty self-evident. The major studios are shunning creativity for proven formulas, and electing style over substance.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
JakeSpeed View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote JakeSpeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 2:04pm
Years ago, a friend was telling the story of trying out "shrooms" (or something similar) for the first time, and was advised that to experience the full effect, she should see something colorful.  I was told the movie she saw under the influence was "Howard The Duck."

I think it's time to try the experiment again, only leave the shrooms at home -- you won't need 'em!  I don't think my eyes have ever been as assaulted by so much hi-def over-saturation...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 3:34pm

Awww....I really did not want this film to be the first flop of this summer. It's really sad. I wanted others to be the first flops...just not this one. Fortunately, it only costed $100 million to make and $80 million to market. Ok, there's still a chance it might make a lot overseas.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>