Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 29th ANNUAL RAZZIE® NOMINEES > MEET DAVE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

STARSHIP CRASH ’n’ BURN?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STARSHIP CRASH ’n’ BURN?!?!?
    Posted: July 02 2008 at 5:01am

HERE's a GOOD "RULE of DUMB" FORYA: ANY TIME a BIG BUDGET/HIGH PROFILE MOVIE CHANGES ITS TITLE PRIOR to RELEASE, THAT's NOT a SIGN the MOVIE IS "TESTING WELL." 

HERE's ANOTHER ONE: ANY TIME a MOVIE TOP-LINES SOMEONE WHO JUST SET a RAZZIE® RECORD by "WINNING" THREE WORST AWARDS in a SINGLE YEAR, THAT's ALSO NOT a SIGN IT's GONNA BE ANY GOOD...

AND a THIRD: ANY TIME a MOVIE RE-UNITES a STAR WHOOZ "WON" 3 RECENT RAZZIES® with the RAZZIE®-NOMINATED HELMSMAN WHO DIRECTED THAT ACTOR to HIZ "WINS," THAT's ALSO NOT a GOOD SIGN...

BY THESE THREE RULES of DUMB, MEET DAVE (FORMERLY STARSHIP DAVE) COULD BE EDDIE MURPHY's ANSWER to THE LOVE GURU.

BUT TELL ME, DAVE, WHAT DO YOU THINK??

MURPHY: "In the tradition of my RAZZIE® 'winning' performance as Rasputia last year, I wanted to play The Statue of Liberty in MEET DAVE. But the producers refused to be convinced by this audition photo..."

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 5:33am
This looks like the bastard child of Pluto Nash and Rasputia!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 5:10pm
Between this piece of sh*t and "Love Guru", it's proof positive that "Shrek" is the only thing left in the not-so-bright careers of Myers and Murphy.
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 5:23pm
Every billboard advertising this movie shows Eddie Murphy IN Eddie
Murphy., so would that qualify Eddie for another shot at WORST SCREEN
COUPLE?
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2008 at 2:00am

We might also want to consider Gabrielle Union for Worst Actress, from what I saw in the trailer... 

moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2008 at 7:52am

Yet another movie where Murphy plays multiple roles? Is that a clause in his contract, that he only does movies where he plays more than one character?

Fred Cooper
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2008 at 1:30pm

Originally posted by tomsmobr

We might also want to consider Gabrielle Union for Worst Actress, from what I saw in the trailer... 

As much as I love Gabrielle Union, she should get a nod just for her bad decision making when it comes to choosing what projects to take. She was offered the role of Kate from the TV series "Lost", but she turned it down because the show didn't make sense to her and she thought it would fail within its first season. As we all know, she was WRONG.

So, a TV series about people trapped on an island makes no sense for her, but a movie about tiny aliens that look like humans and that operate inside a robot that looks like Eddie Murphy makes complete sense?

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 1:53am
As of right now, Rotten Tomatoes has only one review, and it's positive.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 3:09am
"The Black Dahlia" has good review at first. Then, they went down to the Rotten zone.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 4:41am
The fact that this opens tomorrow and has only ONE review on R.T. (meaning it was obviously not screened in time for reviews to be released before the movie is) clearly tells you what the releasing studio thinks of the film: It's a piece of (starts with SH and ends with IT)...
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 6:59am
As already mentioned, not being screened for critics is a sign of worse things to come...Plus, the trailers do not make it look appealing either.
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 4:02pm
Plus, it's going up against HellBoy 2, which has a bigger following. So that combined with the lack of critics seeing it speaks volumes about how badly it will suck.
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Movie Man

As of right now, Rotten Tomatoes has only one review, and it's positive.
Meet Dave is now at 27% on RT
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 4:35pm

Originally posted by tomsmobr

[QUOTE=Movie Man]Meet Dave is now at 27% on RT

And it's not going to get any higher than that.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 5:22pm
With Sylvester Stallone to contend with, I don't think Eddie Murphy has much to worry about Razzie-wise this year.  Based on the trailer, I don't feel this movie will be anywhere near as bad as Norbit.  It looks like just a dumb movie, nothing less (and nothing more) --unfortunately!   
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 2:37am
Originally posted by moorlock2003

Yet another movie where Murphy plays multiple roles? Is that a clause in his contract, that he only does movies where he plays more than one character?

Eddie Murphey is usually barely tolerable in one role. I am also mystified as to why he is invariably permitted to play several, unless his production company is too cheap to hire more actors. Based upon the quality of the scripts, the suspicion is that they are also too cheap to hire writers. A team of monkeys banging away at keyboards, sparsely paid in bananas is evidently the norm.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>