Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 29th ANNUAL RAZZIE® NOMINEES > THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whoah, Dude...They’re Gonna Blow Up WHAT?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whoah, Dude...They’re Gonna Blow Up WHAT?
    Posted: December 07 2008 at 5:21am

Here's something to show the immense anticipation leading up to this one. No doubt it will be a hit (no matter what we say):

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/polls/?page=viewpoll&id=932 %20&p=.htm   

MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 7:41am
Now that's something we haven't seen in quite a while.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 4:05pm
No doubt the studio suits are laughing all the way to the bank. They know "TDTESS" has a loyal fan following that will see this movie no matter what. Problem is, will word of mouth destory the movie the very next day after it opens in theaters?
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 11:34am
Those are some really perceptive points made in the opening post. The earth does appear to be turned into a canvas for scifi explosions, and the original film was far from the special effects showpiece this new version appears to be. The ensemble cast only further lends itself to formula film-making.

In other words, the original has been turned into a disaster film.

Or so the trailer indicates. I can forgive Keanu Reeves being cast, but if the movie turns out to be an Irwin Allenesque product as is suggested by the previews, it's beyond redemption.

Oh well.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 2:08pm
This film looks good. I'll definately be seeing it this weekend.
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

This film looks good. I'll definately be seeing it this weekend.

I might have to agree. Given, I haven't seen the original classic, but the trailer - for this one - indicates that this could be really good. Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly have some good scenes, the special effects are good and, opening up against the lukewarm Nothing Like the Holidays, it should easily make some bucks.

Of course, the only red flag is that reviews didn't come in.
You think you know, but you have no idea.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 3:19am

Well, video games are full of great looking CGI effects. If the main thing in a movie that appeals to you are the CGI effects, you might as well rent a video game and play it over the weekend instead. At least that form of media gets away with having weak plots and characters, because no one plays them for those aspects, they just want something that is fun and looks cool. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: And don't forget (quoting SCTV's Estes Brothers' Farm Film Report) something that "blows up real good!" 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 8:45am
I just saw the running time: 1 hour, 32 minutes. Officially won't see it. And I was looking forward to it.

You're right, Michaels. Special effects don't make a movie appealling.
You think you know, but you have no idea.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 12:17pm

Well, I'm obviously entertained by movies with CGI, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I just love CGI, and I really don't agree with people who say CGI sucks. I only think CGI sucks if it looks mediocre, like it's being used on television shows.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 11:33pm

CGI can look great, but I'm not paying $10 just to see that. I can wait, and pay for $3.99 rental price to see it on DVD. 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Swamp Thing View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Swamp Thing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 10:08am
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

The original The Day the Earth Stood Still had its flaws, including a somewhat morally ambigious message from the alien visitors (If you don't clean up your violent ways, we are going to wipe you off the planet????)

The surprise at the end of the original- which few seem to understand- was that a race of robot policemen was given absolute power over the humans in Klaatu's solar system, and they did not tolerate aggression. The people of Earth were risking obliteration if they threatened to extend their violence into the robot's realm. There was nothing at all said like, "Stop fighting among yourselves"- as previously mentioned, Klaatu actually stated, "It is no concern of ours how you run your own planet"!!!!

MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 3:27pm

I have come across a minor drawback in this Razzie campaign.  This film is nominated for two Satellite Awards (one for visual effects and the other for sound).  If this movie wins either one of these Satellite Awards this weekend, then this could put the campaign into a small predicament.  Oddly enough, it's running against the same films.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 5:06pm

Seeing as how we are in the "serious awards" season, the Gloden Globes will no doubt steal any thunder from any minor award show at this time. Even if the movie does win a Satellite award, it will not be on par with the serious awards. I mean, when was the last time you saw the tagline "The Satellite Award Winning ..."? Such credit is given only to Golden Globe, Emmy, Oscar, or major Film Festival award winners. Heck, even Starz ran ads for "I Know How Killed Me" as the "winner of eight Razzies." And a Saturn win would only reward the visual effects or sound, and not any other aspects of the movie.

jasonjones3 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote jasonjones3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 3:31am

I too wanted to see the new one until I learned they changed the plot to be about global warming. How corny and contrived can you get? Oh well, they managed to ruin War Of The Worlds so I shouldn't be surprised...

I guess a creature that traveled light years across the universe can't just give us technology to save the earth, he has to use it to kill humans. This is logicaly flawed...

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Swamp Thing

The surprise at the end of the original- which few seem to understand- was that a race of robot policemen was given absolute power over the humans in Klaatu's solar system, and they did not tolerate aggression. The people of Earth were risking obliteration if they threatened to extend their violence into the robot's realm. There was nothing at all said like, "Stop fighting among yourselves"- as previously mentioned, Klaatu actually stated, "It is no concern of ours how you run your own planet"!!!!

Me thinks you are giving the masses too little credit there, Swamp Thing. Nonetheless, you miss my point by miles. Yes, most of us were quite aware that the Robot policemen were in charge and were intolerant of violence, yet their solution to preventing its spread was to commit an even greater and more general act of violence when lesser measures would likely have sufficed (a lesson still unlearned even in our age, as witnessed by the overseas adventurism of our current President and his coherts.)

And you are correct, jasonjones3. Perhaps the only redeeming virtue of the modern version is that they managed to stumble over the same logical flaw. BTW, welcome to the board, both of you.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

I have come across a minor drawback in this Razzie campaign.  This film is nominated for two Satellite Awards (one for visual effects and the other for sound).  If this movie wins either one of these Satellite Awards this weekend, then this could put the campaign into a small predicament.  Oddly enough, it's running against the same films.

The Satellite Awards are probably the least respected among the plethora of plaudits handed out this time of year. The sponsoring organization is the International Press Academy, and they have come up with some curious choices in the past, to put it mildly.

It is worthy of note that one of their more prestigious honors is named after Nikola Tesla, a scientist whose occasional brilliance was deeply overshadowed by the fact that he was also a first class crackpot.

Incidentally, the IPA is an organization open to anyone who is a fulltime journalist. In other words, you are eligible to join (and vote for the Satellite Awards) if you make your living writing obituaries for some struggling rag in Hoboken. As close as I have been able to determine, actually seeing any of the films nominated by the organization is not prequisite to casting a vote. So a considerable number of the votes cast annually are probably recorded by people whose cinematic expertise probably doesn't extend much beyond Bugs Bunny cartoons. Two technical awards from this organization isn't a ringing endorsement of, well, anything.

For the record, I wasn't aware that there was any active "campaign" for this movie within the membership...merely a discussion, and one that doesn't seem to be provoking a whole lot of interest. As ever, overstatement is your forte, Miguel.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>