Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 29th ANNUAL RAZZIE® NOMINEES > THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whoah, Dude...They’re Gonna Blow Up WHAT?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whoah, Dude...They’re Gonna Blow Up WHAT?
    Posted: December 13 2008 at 7:36am

WTF?! That makes NO sense! "The humans are killing their planet with their greenhouse gases. Shall we give them the technology to repair the hole in the O-Zone?" "No, let's just kill them all instead. It doesn't matter as long as the planet is still there". "Wait, why do we care what happens on that planet?" "I don't know, ask the studio heads."

Originally posted by jasonjones3

I too wanted to see the new one until I learned they changed the plot to be about global warming. How corny and contrived can you get? Oh well, they managed to ruin War Of The Worlds so I shouldn't be surprised...

I guess a creature that traveled light years across the universe can't just give us technology to save the earth, he has to use it to kill humans. This is logicaly flawed...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 8:47am
I just saw it last night; indeed it cannot compare with the original, nothing remarkable at all here, and as for Keanu Reeves, as far as being an emotionless alien, he delivers on all of what (little) is required of him,  and when you look at Max Payne and Babylon AD, this was nowhere near as painful to sit through as those movies.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 12:00pm

In a case like this, Klaatu basically tested the humans so that he can assess whether they can prevent the environmental damage that they have inflicted upon their planet.  What I want to know is where you got the impression that they were going to make the film like a sequel to "An Inconvenient Truth".  Global warming is not humans damaging the earth, it's the earth damaging itself.  I will investigate this movie tomorrow and see if these global warming rumors are true.

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 3:34pm
A representative of an alien race that went through drastic evolution to survive its own climate change, Klaatu, comes to Earth. Is it here to save the humans from an impending attack on the Earth? Is he here to destroy the humans or the Earth? Or is he here for some other bizarre reason?

Judging from the trailers, commercials, posters, an other publicity advertisements, one can assume this remake of an original classic is updated with more action sequences, filled with special effects throughout the film. 20th Century Fox do seem to push the movie off as a heavy sci-fi, action flick. That's a bad thing because there aren't many action scenes. There are like three scenes total, and they don't even run that long. This could possibly disappoint some audience members, although I'm not trying to say people are seeing this film for the action. It's like "I Am Legend." There's more dialog than action, which many won't expect. No, I haven't seen the original so I cannot compare. However, I can say right now I downright enjoyed the movie from beginning to end because of the fact, and I'm not afraid to admit it, that it's an environmental movie.

Does this fact seem to shock you? Were you really surprised that this movie was about global warming and us humans destroying the planet? If you just found out this is another "environmental movie" just like 50% of the movies released this year (exaggeration in effect), like "Wall-E," "The Happening," and "Quantum of Solace," and you don't like that it's another "preachy" movie that's "trying to convince us to change for the better good," well, don't see it. It's simple as that. I guess I love environmental movies because I love the message these films seem to try to get off. The message in this remake is, in my opinion, pitch-perfect and executed in a way that, I don't know, might convince some people to "go green." I might seem to sound like a crazy environmentalist right now but I'm not trying to.

Getting away from the message, the film supports itself really well and grasped my attention from the beginning to the end because it's all so very interesting, although it may borrow heavily from other sci-fi films. I just find it different from the norm, as a whole, from other sci-fi films. There's barely any action scenes in here, like I said earlier, that you're surprised the movie is more about the characters with dialog than mindless action itself. Keanu Reeves plays well as the emotion-less alien being, although some might joke it's "the perfect role for him." Jennifer Connelly also does a very good job in here. She's a very underrated actress. Everyone else, even Jaden Smith, also give us a good performance.

Overall, the movie is not an action film although everything shown may show otherwise. The special effects was very good. I'm not complaining at all that this is another environmental movie. I can see 500 more films of the same message and still not complain. If you sound like a person like me, which I highly doubt anyone would be this crazy about saving the Earth, you should give this movie a chance. If you're, however, the complete opposite and think recent films released these past years were too preachy and dumb, don't watch it. 8/10
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 3:51pm
They didn't say "action" in the description.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 1:59am
Usually, I would rip apart moviewizguy for defending a movie that's up consideration just for the sake of defending it, but I'm in a good mood this morning. That, and no doubt this movie can't be as bad as a movie with no redeeming factors to it at all, like say "Disaster Movie". Clearly the SFX will win movie goers over, as they usually do, at least during the first opening week and then the movie goers move on to the next SFX driven movie. This role is ideal for Keanu Reeves and his emotionless, monotone voice is put to perfect use. Yes, Jennifer Connelly is underrated, she gets little respect for being so beautiful. Still, the whole global warming thing is stupid. Why do the aliens care what happens to earth? Why couldn't the movie stick to the anti-war message of the original? Let's just see it like it is, a "joyride" (a common phrase used by critics to describe a SFX driven movie) with some good intentions, but in the end is pail to the original. Yes, it'll be somewhere on the Razzie Ballot, but not as often as "Disaster Movie".
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 4:38am

Those of us who grew up under the spectre of mass nuclear annihilation by the enormous stockpiles of the super-powers had little trouble understanding the underlying message of the original. I'm not sure that would play anymore. The insanity of massive nuclear exchange became evident with the Global Warming studies and the U.S.S.R. disappeared from the planet.

Evidently, the makers of this film felt that some trigger would be necessary that speaks to the concerns of the modern young film goers. I'm not defending their manipulation of the plot, but in a sense, they are probably right.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 4:51am

Originally posted by Michaels

Usually, I would rip apart moviewizguy for defending a movie that's up consideration just for the sake of defending it, but I'm in a good mood this morning. That, and no doubt this movie can't be as bad as a movie with no redeeming factors to it at all, like say "Disaster Movie". Clearly the SFX will win movie goers over, as they usually do, at least during the first opening week and then the movie goers move on to the next SFX driven movie. This role is ideal for Keanu Reeves and his emotionless, monotone voice is put to perfect use. Yes, Jennifer Connelly is underrated, she gets little respect for being so beautiful. Still, the whole global warming thing is stupid. Why do the aliens care what happens to earth? Why couldn't the movie stick to the anti-war message of the original? Let's just see it like it is, a "joyride" (a common phrase used by critics to describe a SFX driven movie) with some good intentions, but in the end is pail to the original. Yes, it'll be somewhere on the Razzie Ballot, but not as often as "Disaster Movie".

Well, I tried to not think that. Actually, I really didn't think of that until someone who complained about the movie said that. Possibly a plot hole (about why aliens would care about Earth). I guess they're good people after all? I mean, they want to live on Earth.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 5:05am

Well the plot holes gets bigger once again when you mention maybe the aliens want to live on Earth...but to do so, they have to kill all humans first. Again, that makes no sense. In that case, they wouldn't be a peaceful race, but more like the aliens from "Independence Day." 

And I think after the events of 9/11 (and the war with Iraq) the anti-war sentiment is still alive and well today. I mean, with the exception of the late 90s, America is ALWAYS taking part in some kind of war, in one form or another, and is always worrying who their "enemies" are.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 11:29am

"The Invasion" already showed us that. We don't need another alien invasion movie with the same message.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 1:24pm

I think H-Wood has made enough alien invasion movies as is. Perhaps they should try more oceanic based sci-fi, like "The Abyss" or "SeaQuest." 

movieluver View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieluver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 7:39pm
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL is no independce day nor war of the
worlds, yet it wasn't a tradgedy. bland and dull it was, with nothing special
about it and a bad Jennifer connelly. all and all, it was entertaining, earning a
7/10 from me
once a movie lover, always a movie lover
tdickensheets View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote tdickensheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 4:00pm

"Band over a couch!!!"

Thomas Dickensheets
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 3:50pm
I gave this 3/10. 

How could Keanu Reeves ruin a role that was meant for him (no facial expressions)? Jennifer Connelly was pretty dull, too.  

The effects are cool, but the script is as lazy as it can be. At what point does KLAATU say the reason he decides humans should live? JACOB fears him, but then he switches completely because he saves him (it sounds like it makes sense, but anyone who has had any life experience like that knows it doesn't make sense)! MICHAEL died and HELEN doesn't care? And who is James Hong's character? And what is the meaning of the beginning?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 2:55pm
I added it to my "Bad movies with good directing" list.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Vits

I gave this 3/10. 

How could Keanu Reeves ruin a role that was meant for him (no facial expressions)? Jennifer Connelly was pretty dull, too.  

The effects are cool, but the script is as lazy as it can be. At what point does KLAATU say the reason he decides humans should live? JACOB fears him, but then he switches completely because he saves him (it sounds like it makes sense, but anyone who has had any life experience like that knows it doesn't make sense)! MICHAEL died and HELEN doesn't care? And who is James Hong's character? And what is the meaning of the beginning?
And these are all reasons why the movie sucked big time. 3 out of 10 is being very generous, considering this movie was epic fail in terms of characters, acting, and story.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>