Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > FIREPROOF
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Jesus, Kirk Cameron Must Be DESPERATE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jesus, Kirk Cameron Must Be DESPERATE!
    Posted: September 20 2008 at 5:24am

ONE of the MOST UNPLEASANT MOVIE-GOING MEMORIES of MY LIFETIME WAS WHEN a SUPPOSED "FRIEND" INVITED ME to a SNEAK PREVIEW of a "NEW MOVIE" -- WHICH TURNED OUT to HAVE BEEN FINANCED by BILLY GRAHAM as a "CHRISTIAN RECRUITING" DEVICE. WHEN the MOVIE ENDED and the LIGHTS CAME UP, a CHURCH SPOKESMAN at the FRONT of the THEATRE IMPLORED EVERYONE WHO HAD "SEEN CHRIST" AS a RESULT of WATCHING the FILM "PLEASE COME FORWARD." MY "FRIEND" THEN TURNED to ME WITH a LOOK ON HER FACE I WILL NEVER FORGET...OR FORGIVE.

I CAN'T PROMISE THAT THOSE WHO'VE "SEEN JESUS" WILL BE IMPLORED to ACCEPT HIM at the FRONT of EVERY THEATRE SHOWING FIREPROOF, BUT THIS COULD BE YOUR OPPORTUNITY to EXPERIENCE THAT SAME FEELING of HAVING BEEN DUPED into a THEATRE and RECRUITED for CHRIST.

AS AN AGNOSTIC MYSELF, I FREELY ADMIT I PLAN to AVOID THIS FILM. BUT I COULDN'T RESIST, GIVEN ITS "TRUE PURPOSE" (IT'S BASICALLY a PRO-CHRISTIAN/ANTI-DIVORCE DIATRIBE MASQUERADING as a FAMILY DRAMA) "HONORING" IT as THIS WEEK's WORST of the WEAK PICK...

FEEL FREE to DISAGREE, DISAVOW (and OTHERWISE DEFEND and/or DISS) FIREPROOF BELOW... 

CAMERON: "We've got a three-alarmer here! The critics have burned our movie big-time!!"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 5:31am

As a lifelong liberal Democrat, I object to this film's subterfuge in luring in audiences to listen to what looks like a right-wing sermon against divorce.

But as someone who recently went thru a divorce (and found the laws governing the ability of one partner in a marriage to unilaterally dissolve it WAY too lax) I cannot say I object to the film's presumed "message" -- Divorce in America has become as  commonplace (and supposedly "painless") as having a tonsilectomy -- And I personally don't think that's a good thing...

Everything SUX!
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 6:40am

I'd like to wave a magic wand and make everybody in a marriage get over themselves, get over any truly major problems, get over convincing themselves minor problems are major problems, and learn how to trust, compromise, accept, participate, cooperate and encourage.  In other words, to make divorce go away.

The makers of this film want to use a magic wand, too.  In their case, they're using Jesus Christ as their magic wand.  I'm not sure how Jesus would feel about that.

The divorce rate of people in Christian churches has been equal to the divorce rate of people outside of Christian churches for years.  I'm glad for those who find this works for them (and there are many), but it seems not many church people are availing themselves of the Jesus wand. . . .

All joking aside, I applaud the goal, but I cringe at what seems to be a subpar script, subpar acting and subpar moviemaking in general, and I disagree with the simplistic, faulty logic implied in the trailer.

But if this movie helps an otherwise good couple to avoid divorce, I'm glad for that couple.

So, anyone for a night of A Thief in the Night, The Cross and the Switchblade, Time to Run, Time Changer and The Omega Code? . . .

No?  Okay, how about Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter? . . .

tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 10:00am
I think this movie might be somewhat intresting to see -- I think I might check it out...   
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 12:02pm
It took me forever to remember who Kirk Cameron is. I'm kind of shocked that this film landed even him. I mean, these are the Facing the Giants people, right? I would think even sitcom stars of days long ago would be out of their budget.

Anyway, I'm sure the film is a touching and life-altering experience that will expose the truth to many across the nation -- I'm going to go get baptized, right now! 
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 3:18pm
I'm a devout Christian and even I think this film will suck. Also, "Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter" was a huge letdown, mainly because the guy playing Jesus looked nothing like Jesus, and could've been any random guy, draining the film of any camp value, lesbian scenes aside.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 3:33pm

Kirk Cameron has done nothing but faith-based movies since the "Growing Pains" series finale. I understand people hold their faith in high regards, but please movie studios, don't make movies that are nothing more than recruiting videos trying to pass themselves off as "family entertainment". I hate it when religious people try to sell you the idea that prayer is the answer to all of your troubles. Sorry to tell you folks, prayer doesn't fix all of life's problems. There's a reason why they say "God only helps those who help themselves", it's because if you want to change something in your life, you have to do it yourself, because talking to the sky isn't going to change it for you. I believe in George Carlin's unwritten Commandment of "Keep Thy Religion To Thy Self!".

PS: For a more enlightning and entertaining look at religion, may I recommand Bill Maher's upcoming film Religulous?  

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Michaels

There's a reason why they say "God only helps those who help themselves", it's because if you want to change something in your life, you have to do it yourself, because talking to the sky isn't going to change it for you. 

That's Benjamin Franklin, who said that in a letter to Humphry Marshall.  He was telling the United States it was time to prepare for war.

It is a true old saying, that make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you: to which I may add another, God helps them that help themselves.

tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 9:51am

Originally posted by Michaels

For a more enlightning and entertaining look at religion, may I recommend Bill Maher's upcoming film Religulous?  

I found the Offical Site for Bill Maher Movie Religulous, and The Offical Site (which feature's Bill's image on a piece in a Toast):  http://lionsgate.com/religulous/

Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 2:01pm

We seem once again to be straying off message on this Forum (I think we're meant to be discussing "Fireproof," a movie almost no one will go see) but after viewing the trailer for "Religulous," I gotta say it: It looks like Bill Maher may have made a "documentary" every bit as funny, biting and controversial as "Fahrenheit 911."

Maher's movie I definitely WILL go see... 

Everything SUX!
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 12:47pm
Hah. This film has Christian overtones and has a discussion board. But Tyler Perry's films don't? There is one word to describe something like this: irony.
You think you know, but you have no idea.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 2:31pm

. . . or, instead of irony, it could be described as "bland and predictable" versus "Oh, man, this is bad!"

You think Tyler Perry is all that bad?  How about a Tyler Perry wannabe?  Forgive me for directing you to Cover.  It was released in theatres earlier this year, but it's not being considered either.  I'm guessing that's because nobody saw it and, most importantly, nobody cares. . . .

wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 12:23pm

I too feel divorce is far too prevelant in today's society, that no one seems to care to try anymore.  It should really be saved for events where one spouse is abusive either physically or verbally, or is dishonest with funds.  Or if the people are just so unhappy they'd be just happier seperately. 

That said, I have deep dislike of Hollywood's usual take on the matter of familial problems, being:  A) It's entirely the husband's fault for working too much even if they have no other discernable source of income; all problems can be traced to that, logically or not, B) conversely, the wife and children are right about everything he's wrong about, even if they are themselves hideously abusive towards him in word and in the worst situation with violence; we are not meant to question their logic on anything, even though a healthy relationship is supposed to be give and take equally from both parties, and C) thus, Dad stopping working and sentencing them to welfare or dirt poverty will act like the aforementioned magic wand, and all ills will be permanently forgotten until the sequel if there is one.  Never mind that for many people in the audience it will by that point have become clear the family is no true family and is better off seperate until they REALLY learn a TRUE lesson about love and partnership (if I make it big, I do intend to try something from this angle, where either the wife or kids come to realize the world doesn't blindly revolve around their needs any more than it does around Dad's, possibly having them cross the line before they do, which would probably bring down gross but at least be a critical success if done right). 

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 2:29pm

Wow, you really did just explain the plot to every Lifetime Channel "my marriage is ending" cable movie... 

Originally posted by wetbandit82

That said, I have deep dislike of Hollywood's usual take on the matter of familial problems, being:  A) It's entirely the husband's fault for working too much even if they have no other discernable source of income; all problems can be traced to that, logically or not, B) conversely, the wife and children are right about everything he's wrong about, even if they are themselves hideously abusive towards him in word and in the worst situation with violence; we are not meant to question their logic on anything, even though a healthy relationship is supposed to be give and take equally from both parties, and C) thus, Dad stopping working and sentencing them to welfare or dirt poverty will act like the aforementioned magic wand, and all ills will be permanently forgotten until the sequel if there is one.  Never mind that for many people in the audience it will by that point have become clear the family is no true family and is better off seperate until they REALLY learn a TRUE lesson about love and partnership (if I make it big, I do intend to try something from this angle, where either the wife or kids come to realize the world doesn't blindly revolve around their needs any more than it does around Dad's, possibly having them cross the line before they do, which would probably bring down gross but at least be a critical success if done right). 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 4:23am

I've gotten stopped on the street during a street fair in my hometown by some of Kirk's "Way of the Master" crowd. I also watched a debate between them and some Atheists, and the guy who accosted me  pulled out every point that they used in that debate. They're a mindless cult.

Kirk Cameron has become one of the most ridiculous faux-celebrities this country has ever produced!! 

-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 11:42am

The one funny thing about Tyler Perry, he uses his films to push Christian vaules onto African-Americans, yet the Bible has passages that state a man shouldn't wear female clothing. So what does Perry do? Star in his own movies in drag.  

Originally posted by RoadDogXVIII

Hah. This film has Christian overtones and has a discussion board. But Tyler Perry's films don't? There is one word to describe something like this: irony.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>