Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > FIREPROOF
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Jesus, Kirk Cameron Must Be DESPERATE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jesus, Kirk Cameron Must Be DESPERATE!
    Posted: September 28 2008 at 7:41am

Found this on the IMDb trivia board. Another reason we should consider nominating Cameron:

Trivia:
Kirk Cameron, a fundamentalist Christian evangelist, refuses to kiss any woman other than his wife under any circumstance, so to film a scene in which his character in Fireproof (2008) kisses his wife, the filmmakers had to dress Cameron's real-life wife, Chelsea Noble, as the wife character (played throughout the rest of the movie by Erin Bethea) and shoot the kissing scene in shadow so the difference between Noble and Bethea would not be as evident onscreen.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 3:59am

I gotta say, that's kinda refreshing in this day and age of celebrities becoming famous via sex tapes and celebrity marriages lasting all of two weeks. But come on, Kirk, you're an actor -- it's only make believe!

Originally posted by Movie Man

Found this on the IMDb trivia board. Another reason we should consider nominating Cameron:

Trivia:
Kirk Cameron, a fundamentalist Christian evangelist, refuses to kiss any woman other than his wife under any circumstance, so to film a scene in which his character in Fireproof (2008) kisses his wife, the filmmakers had to dress Cameron's real-life wife, Chelsea Noble, as the wife character (played throughout the rest of the movie by Erin Bethea) and shoot the kissing scene in shadow so the difference between Noble and Bethea would not be as evident onscreen.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
batman39 View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote batman39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2008 at 3:28am
Even Christians that are critical of their own movies almost always see
three shortcomings in them. Acting,screenplay and cinematography. I am
a Christian but don't go to them because of these. I have seen Facing the
Giants,which was sluggish at first but got better and was a solid movie.
This one is a solid movie too,the acting is far better than most of
Christian Cinema. It is worthwhile because marriage is worth saving in
some cases,in others,they are probably hopeless.

The two leads in Fireproof are solid.   It is nice to see something where
what you are seeing is not perverse claptrap like Before the Devil Knows
You're Dead. Where family members eventually treat each of with respect
and not contempt.

I didn't find the movie preachy,just a solid movie with a good message.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2008 at 4:34am
Look, if ALL Christians went to ALL Christian movies, then every time one of these came out, you'd see upwards of NINETY percent of Americans in them. I hate it when people feel the need to announce that they're Christian. *I* am not one, personally. As far as why I have no desire to see this movie, it just sounds like a boring movie to me. But also because Kirk Cameron, like Tom Cruise, is batsh!+ crazy, and I've dealt with his goons.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 5:26am

The U.S. Census Bureau doesn't make any formal effort to track the religious leanings of our population, but independent surveys show that about 75% of the population (not 90%) call themselves Christian. I'm guessing that at least half of those are pretty casual about their beliefs, at best.

I'll absolutely defend the right of people like Cameron to vent their beliefs in any forum they choose, including cinema. I also expect them to equally respect my right to slam the door in their face, although the more devout aren't holding up their end of the bargain. In any event, I suspect all but a few of the most devoted Christians regard dogmatics like him to be dangerous zealots.

Personally, there isn't much that I find more offensive than listening to self-proclaimed moralists from the political right lecture me about family values, considering how many of them are on their second, third or beyond marriages. The rather simple reality is that we still attempt to charish a lot of rather archaic institutions in our society. Marriage, or example, worked a lot better when we got married at 18 and died at 40. But that isn't the reality anymore, and it's not unusual for people who typically live 3 decades longer to grow apart. So maybe in this instance, it might behoove us as a society to start tolerating, even accepting, the failings or growth of our neighbors and their relationships in a more forgiving (i.e. Christian?) light.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Tyleben View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tyleben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 3:59am

I am an evengelical Christian; but am fed up with other Christians not wanting to criticize any effort to make movies with Christian themes.  Truth be told, crap is crap, no matter how it is dressed.  I wish studios who endevor to make Christian films would try to make them good; it has been done before.  A few Good examples are End Of The Spear, One Night With The King, The Nativity Story, The Chronicles of Narnia series...also the studio that produces Veggie Tales; they are clever and entertaining even for those who are not Christians. It can be done, but it will take someone fearless to be honest about the movies.  I won't watch anything with Kirk Cameron after he made Left Behind, based on a great book series that was popular with people of faith and also people not of faith.  The movie was so bad, one of the authors of the book even filed a lawsuit against the studio.  These companies need to learn that you can't give an audience crap and expect them to like it, or even more encourage their friends to see it.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 2:54pm
Well, making any kind of faith-based movie is a tricky thing. You have to make it A) Family friendly (unless it's "Passion of the Christ", then you're hoping for all the hardcore Catholics to show up). B) Entertaining, because that's what movies are suppose to do in the first place. C) Be of good quality, because you'll fail if your movie is just "Plan 9" with Christian overtunes. and D) Don't be preachy, if people want to be preached to, they'll save their money and just go to church. Personally, I think religion has such a strong following, there's really no need for it to be in popular culture. Like seperation of church and state, I think there should be a seperation of church and all forms of media.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 2:02pm

Originally posted by Michaels

Well, making any kind of faith-based movie is a tricky thing. You have to make it A) Family friendly (unless it's "Passion of the Christ", then you're hoping for all the hardcore Catholics to show up). B) Entertaining, because that's what movies are suppose to do in the first place. C) Be of good quality, because you'll fail if your movie is just "Plan 9" with Christian overtunes. and D) Don't be preachy, if people want to be preached to, they'll save their money and just go to church. Personally, I think religion has such a strong following, there's really no need for it to be in popular culture. Like seperation of church and state, I think there should be a seperation of church and all forms of media.

Bravo, Michaels.  I think you've summed it up quite well.

To my best memory, the best "Christian" film remains Chariots of Fire, and I don't recall a single Christian involved in that endeavor.

I dropped by to point out a little detail over at Box Office Mojo.  The budget for Fireproof is listed at $500,000.  The box office appears headed to break $30 million.  That's 60 times production with only domestic box office (nothing on plans for the foreign market; doubt it will do well there).  In short, this genre appears to be a moneymaker, and unless the movie industry has suddenly discovered it has a scruple or two, we will see more movies of the same quality as this one.

One Night with the King tried to be a good movie, but it had so many flaws. 

Although Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is not a religious movie, since batman39 brought it up again, I'll restate that I felt that was a good movie.  Although dealing with very difficult themes, one of which is financial desperation, which is very applicable to many people's lives today.  Still, Raising Arizona may be a better movie to drive home many of the same points. . . .

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2008 at 10:05am
My agnostic brother showed me a clip of this movie involving salt and pepper shakers. It's f*cking hysterical, we're seeing it when it comes to DVD.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2008 at 10:38am
Saw the movie in theaters. HeadRazz, this really deserves the nomination. Everything reminded me of a boring cliché film. The wife, the lead actress, the story, etc.

Yet there were some good actors in here. Why they chose to star in this is beyond me.

I would nominate this movie for the following:
WORST PICTURE
WORST ACTOR (KIRK CAMERON)
WORST ACTRESS (ERIN BETHEA)
WORST SCREEN COUPLE (KIRK CAMERON AND EITHER ERIN BETHEA (the wife) or CHELSEA NOBLE (the look-alike wife in the kissing scene)
WORST SCREENPLAY and WORST DIRECTORS (ALEX & STEPHEN KENDRICK)
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 10:06am

What really surprised me is that this film actually made money.

I guess keeping the faith worked for this film!

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 2:43pm
I swear that,when I saw a few seconds on it on TV,I thought it was a TV-movie from Lifetime or somethin'.After all,that's the best former child stars can achieve.

B.T.W.,R.I.P. Corey Haim.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 7:02pm
There's little I hate more in this world than conservative Christians. I ask some religious sects that condemn divorce this: If a man should be married, and he has only one chance, and they pick the wrong significant other, apparently it's mandatory that their life be ruined by picking the wrong lover because divorce is against these people. In that case, is marriage even worth it?
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by GTAHater767

There's little I hate more in this world than conservative Christians. I ask some religious sects that condemn divorce this: If a man should be married, and he has only one chance, and they pick the wrong significant other, apparently it's mandatory that their life be ruined by picking the wrong lover because divorce is against these people. In that case, is marriage even worth it?
Well, you have to consider that in religious sects, it doesn't matter if your marriage is failing, so long as you're fruitful and raise your children to be loyal followers of the sect as well. In the end, they just want you to help produce more memebers for their little cults, rather than having to go out and convince people to join them.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
jinxmchue View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote jinxmchue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2011 at 3:59pm
Tiny little violins are playing for you.  Lots of them.  

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

ONE of the MOST UNPLEASANT MOVIE-GOING MEMORIES of MY LIFETIME WAS WHEN a SUPPOSED "FRIEND" INVITED ME to a SNEAK PREVIEW of a "NEW MOVIE" -- WHICH TURNED OUT to HAVE BEEN FINANCED by BILLY GRAHAM as a "CHRISTIAN RECRUITING" DEVICE. WHEN the MOVIE ENDED and the LIGHTS CAME UP, a CHURCH SPOKESMAN at the FRONT of the THEATRE IMPLORED EVERYONE WHO HAD "SEEN CHRIST" AS a RESULT of WATCHING the FILM "PLEASE COME FORWARD." MY "FRIEND" THEN TURNED to ME WITH a LOOK ON HER FACE I WILL NEVER FORGET...OR FORGIVE.

It didn't "masquerade" as anything.  They (the Kendrick Brothers) freely admitted who they were, what the movies was about and what the purpose of it was.  They've never done otherwise with any of their films.

AS AN AGNOSTIC MYSELF, I FREELY ADMIT I PLAN to AVOID THIS FILM. BUT I COULDN'T RESIST, GIVEN ITS "TRUE PURPOSE" (IT'S BASICALLY a PRO-CHRISTIAN/ANTI-DIVORCE DIATRIBE MASQUERADING as a FAMILY DRAMA) "HONORING" IT as THIS WEEK's WORST of the WEAK PICK...

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 2:32pm
Skip to 03:57.

Any thoughts?
Originally posted by batman39

Even Christians that are critical of their own movies almost always see
three shortcomings in them. Acting,screenplay and cinematography. I am
a Christian but don't go to them because of these. I have seen Facing the
Giants,which was sluggish at first but got better and was a solid movie.
This one is a solid movie too,the acting is far better than most of
Christian Cinema. It is worthwhile because marriage is worth saving in
some cases,in others,they are probably hopeless.

The two leads in Fireproof are solid.   It is nice to see something where
what you are seeing is not perverse claptrap like Before the Devil Knows
You're Dead. Where family members eventually treat each of with respect
and not contempt.

I didn't find the movie preachy,just a solid movie with a good message.
You lost me when you basically said that BTDKYD is bad for not being afraid of going where most movies don't go.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12