Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > Oliver Stone's DUBYA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Short Title...Short Attention Span???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short Title...Short Attention Span???
    Posted: October 28 2008 at 2:02pm

I agree...she spoke every one of the few lines she had in this movie with her teeth tightly clinched. I half expected her to pull a ventroliquist's dummy out of a case and carry it with her for the rest of the film.

No special props to the real Condi Rice from this quarter, but that was an unflattering portrayal -- even by the standards of this movie! 

Originally posted by Mrs. Magnatech

I just saw this. It's hardly a masterpiece, but not Razzie material, either. The only Razzie-worthy performance is Thandie Newton as Condi - it was like something you'd see in an SNL sketch.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Mrs. Magnatech View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mrs. Magnatech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2008 at 2:16pm
I just saw this. It's hardly a masterpiece, but not Razzie material, either. The only Razzie-worthy performance is Thandie Newton as Condi - it was like something you'd see in an SNL sketch.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2008 at 2:00pm

I'm a bit surprised how the numbers are shaking out. Perhaps the showing I attended was an anomoly, but the theater was pretty full for the screening of W that we saw. It's not like any of this week's releases are generating big numbers either.

I disagree that neither Momma Mia or W deserve nominations either. Pierce Brosnan simply can't be overlooked, and the Worst Screen Couple consideration for "W" and "Vice" would be a compelling going away (and for God's sake stay away) present.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2008 at 1:02pm

Wow, "W." opened fourth place. It even lost to a period piece movie about beekeepers! Wow, America must be THAT sick of this lame duck President.

thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2008 at 3:08am
I just can't see why this movie, or Momma Mia, would get nominated for any razzies at all. For Momma Mia, it seems split in the middle over who hates it and who likes it (I probably will hate it). However, for other movies, like Disaster Movie, everyone hates it. 
Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 5:04pm

Actually, I think I'd like to amend a comment I made above...

In the category of Worst Screen Couple, any two people appearing on the screen at the same time in the movie Momma Mia deserve the nomination...especially if one of them starts to sing.

As far as the movie W goes, I think there is a potential Worst Couple nomination here too...either W and "Vice"  (because one of them is a moron and the other is a terrifying meglomaniac who shot a guy) or W and Karl Rove (played by a very creepy looking Toby Jones).

JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 12:31pm
Head Razz, I gotta ask:

Will Oliver Stone make a sequel to "W" named "P"?

For You-Know-Who
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 10:48am
Update from Box Office Mojo: After Friday's results, MAX PAYNE beat off W for the #1 spot in the U.S. Box Office, finishing with $7.1 Million while W finished with $3.8 million.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
batman39 View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote batman39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 9:49am
First of all, I am a straight guy. I am older and so I will be dating myself
when I say that I had a crush on the blond chick from Abba back in the
late 70s. It is possible to really like them and not be gay after all we're
talking about two chicks singing here.

I've seen the Broadway Musical of this and the difference between the two
of them, is that the folks in the musical can actually sing and dance. I
actually think the female director in this movie just pointed the camera
and yelled action and thus there were no rehearsals. She probably just
said,"Hey kids let's put on a show."

To me this is more worthy than sittiing through another god awful Uwe
Boll movie. Give the man a Razzie lifetime achievement award and retire
his butt.    
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 8:54am
I love how we changed the subject away from Dumbya.
Fred Cooper
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 8:52am
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I'd second the notion that Momma Mia deserves some ballot attention. Potential categories:

Worst Actor: Pierce Brosnan...that one should be a given. No one that sings that badly should ever even be allowed to watch a musical, let alone sing in one.

Worst Screen Couple: Stellan Skarsgard and Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan and Meryl Streep, and Colin Firth and Meryl Streep

Worst Screeplay: Hey folks, a musical based on Abba songs, most of which weren't even on the same album let alone related in context...no brainer

Worst Movie: maybe...the competition is stiff this year

"Mamma Mia", both the stage musical and the movie, is really just an excuse to tie a bunch of ABBA tunes together. I want ABBA singing ABBA songs; I can't bring myself to listen to others sing them, especially the likes of Pierce Bronson (!).

Fred Cooper
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 6:42am
I didn't think this movie was Razzie worthy from the word go. If you think about it, the life of George W. Bush is the greatest comedy story never told. Here is a man who had everything handed to him because of who his daddy was. He was drunk almost his entire life, somehow graduated from Yale with a "C" average, joined the National Guard (yet has no record of his time spent there), was owner of the Texas Rangers MLB Team (which he utterly ruined), sent every company his dad put him in charge of right into the ground, became governor of Texas (where he spent most of his time sending as many people on death row to their deaths as fast as he could), somehow won two Presidental elections (by questionable means), and caused 8 of the worst years in American history (his laughable leadership during 9/11 and Katrina, his endless and personal war in Iraq, the position of President being reduced to a joke, the goverment spying on its own country, torture crimes during war, the morons he appointed to office who had no right to be there, the rest of the world having no respect for America, and now the Stock Market being ready to crash at any moment). Admit it, you CAN'T make this up. Out of all the Presidents of the past 30 years, I can't think of one more worthy of having a bio-pic. It has to be seen to be believed, and even then people will think it was all a work of fiction! 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 3:53am

I'd second the notion that Momma Mia deserves some ballot attention. Potential categories:

Worst Actor: Pierce Brosnan...that one should be a given. No one that sings that badly should ever even be allowed to watch a musical, let alone sing in one.

Worst Screen Couple: Stellan Skarsgard and Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan and Meryl Streep, and Colin Firth and Meryl Streep

Worst Screeplay: Hey folks, a musical based on Abba songs, most of which weren't even on the same album let alone related in context...no brainer

Worst Movie: maybe...the competition is stiff this year

batman39 View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote batman39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 12:51am
The only Bush to comment on this movie is Jeb and he called it hooey(a
word that is from the United States but of unknown origin,I say it's of
Texas origin). He dismisses the father/son relationship and maybe it was
over the top but until someone proves otherwise,I think he went into Iraq
only to get Saddem.   

I think Bushie Boy would rather like some parts. Didn't expect it to be
factual because even the great Amadeus wasn't that. I wondered about
the Colin Powell stuff but then I realized I was watching a movie and
dismissed it. I won't defend politics. I'll defend Abba and still take to my
grave that Mamma Mia is as bad as Can't Stop the Music. Sorry,I've be on
that soapbox for a while now.

Who cares about ripoff movies like Disaster Movie and the Spartan one
too(they aren't real movies because they don't have a beginning middle
and end.). Mamma Mia has a ton of Razzie red meat but because it's
Abba, I guess some probably think bad deserves bad and thus dismisses
the total wretchness of this movie.

C'mon folks get behind Mamma Mia or am I instead of actually voting this
year,going to just vote, PRESENT.   

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 5:11pm
I can't believe I talked myself into going to see this, but my verdict: not really half bad. It's hard to say exactly how much of it is down the line factual, but I suspect it is reasonably accurate, and not altogether unwatchable. Brolin and Drefuss were quite good. The only part of the film I really doubted was that Colin Powell was portrayed as a martyred voice of dissent. To some extent, he may have been, but I suspect the man has far too much personal integrity to have swallowed his pride to the extent he was shown to in this film. Sorry folks, no Razzie red meat here.
batman39 View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote batman39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 7:27am

I know, but it just screams "See Me!" Even though I tired of this Texan a long long long time ago, I just couldn't resist. Plus I hadn't seen a Stone picture since U-Turn. Yes I could resist Alexander -- and did.   

The one person who really had a ball with this had to be Brolin. I imagine Dreyfuss did too. You can probably give nods to Burstyn for total miscasting, and Scott Glenn for playing you-know-who, who isn't around anymore... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>