Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > YES MAN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

"NO!" is The New "YES"?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "NO!" is The New "YES"?!?!?
    Posted: December 17 2008 at 2:18am

ON FIRST SIGHT, THIS ONE LOOKS LIKE an ATTEMPT to REVIVE the SAGGING CAREER of JIM CARREY by BLATANTLY KNOCKING OFF ONE of HIS BIGGEST BOX OFFICE and CRITICAL HITS, LIAR LIAR (WHICH CAME OUT OVER a DECADE AGO). AND AFTER LAST YEAR's DISASTROUS NUMBER 23 (for WHICH CARREY WAS a DESERVING WORST ACTOR NOMINEE) HE COULD CERTAINLY USE a HIT MOVIE...

BUT EARLY REVIEWS and INDUSTRY WORD SUGGEST YES MAN IS LIKELIER to BE ONE MORE NAIL in CARREY's CAREER COFFIN. 

HERE's YOUR CHANCE to DEFEND -- OR DEFILE -- JIM CARREY's FAST-FADING REP as ONE of AMERICA's FUNNIEST COMIC ACTORS...

CARREY: "Come on, it's not like it sux as bad as NUMBER 23 -- maybe it has a shot at some video rental bux?!?"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 2:46am

I have to say, I loved Jim Carrey in some of his films like The Mask, Ace Ventura, Liar Liar and Bruce Almighty (although I guess some didn't?)

But yeah, after seeing the trailer, the only thing I got off the top of my head was "Liar Liar knockoff". And with The Number 23 totally wrecking his career, I doubt this movie will be able to revive it...not yet, at least.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 3:19am
When I saw the trailer to this, I thought "hmmm, that might be funny, but it's kinda like "Liar, Liar", except it's of him under some spell that forces him to say "yes" to everything instead of always telling the truth". Magic might not be a part of the story, but it does seem like another movie of Carrey getting into "funny" trouble as a result of his mouth and actions. Already saw that a decade ago, no thank you.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 10:52am
Based on your attitude towards Jim Carrey, I knew this forum was coming.  I won't give you an opinion until I see the film.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 11:13am

Personally, I have nothing against Carrey, although he has had a Razzie bulls-eye target on himself ever since 1994, the year of his trio of successful, yet annoying movies: "Ace Ventura," "The Mask" and "Dumb And Dumber." I don't think his chances of "winning" anything this year are that high -- not against the likes of other used-to-be-funny actors like Eddie Murphy, Mike Myers, and Will Ferrell.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 1:53pm
Was #23 really that bad? It wasn't.
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 3:08pm
I thought The Number 23 was one of Jim Carrey's funniest movies. It
tried to scare the audience by showing them dates and groups of numbers
whose sum is equal to 23. "Oh God, the sum of these letters equal the
number 23, IT'S A CONSPIRACY!"
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 6:37pm
The fact that The Number 23 was classified as a "thriller" kinda threw me off.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2008 at 1:02pm

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Was #23 really that bad? It wasn't.

Could you please list a movie that you do consider "bad". I bet that list is shorter. 

Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2008 at 7:47am

It's at 45% at Rotten Tomatoes. So it's not that bad.

Looks like that it's just more vintage Jim Carrey, the one we've missed for...quite a few really bad Carrey movies!

kelemenmarc View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote kelemenmarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 11:47pm
For Your Consideration:

Worst Picture
Worst Director...
Worst Screenplay...
Worst Actor in a Leading Role: Jim Carrey (Yes Man) (OMG It's horrible performance!)
FYC:
Worst Movie: The Bounty Hunter
Worst Actor: Johnny Depp (Alice in Wonderland / The Tourist)
StinkersRule View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote StinkersRule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2008 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Michaels

Personally, I have nothing against Carrey; I don't think his chances of "winning" anything this year are that high -- not against the likes of other used-to-be-funny actors like Eddie Murphy, Mike Myers, and Will Ferrell.

esp. when Martin Lawrence in College Road Trip was MUCH worse than Carrey and Ferrell ever could be (Myers and Murphy should be locks this year-again!)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
wolfee37 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfee37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 10:49am

This film is defitnely a renter but thats only cause after seeing Molly Hartley, The Happening and Semi-Pro I think my eyes deserve a little more then usual for a little while.

Zooey is a babe though

carl.b View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote carl.b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 5:42pm
I was quite happy how Yes Man was made.

The Plot was very reminiscent of the life changing events that occurred in 40 Year Old Virgin.
The sofisticated serious comedic tone was similar to Liar Liar

Carrey's performance was equal to his performance in Liar Liar.

only stubbling block
Some of the The supporting cast weren't members of a comedy and appeared to be part of a drama following a friend with social withdrawel and static life routines, which should be familiar to most of the audience.
Despite the movies aim to expose the viewers imagination and emapthise with the characters, some of the situations I could'nt empathise with as they were completely unbelievable.

I felt Bruce Almighty was entertaining too.

So I don't think Jim Carrey's career should or will conclude any time soon, he is much older now and his movies a much less slack stick than his past performances. and more sofisticated, life orientated. He is evolving into a comedian actor opposed to a Comic actor. More thought and less cream pies.

PopcornAvenger View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote PopcornAvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2009 at 12:51am
Carrey going to the well again. Which is bone dry.
tdickensheets View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote tdickensheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

ON FIRST SIGHT, THIS ONE LOOKS LIKE an ATTEMPT to REVIVE the SAGGING CAREER of JIM CARREY by BLATANTLY KNOCKING OFF ONE of HIS BIGGEST BOX OFFICE and CRITICAL HITS, LIAR LIAR (WHICH CAME OUT OVER a DECADE AGO). AND AFTER LAST YEAR's DISASTROUS NUMBER 23 (for WHICH CARREY WAS a DESERVING WORST ACTOR NOMINEE) HE COULD CERTAINLY USE a HIT MOVIE...

BUT EARLY REVIEWS and INDUSTRY WORD SUGGEST YES MAN IS LIKELIER to BE ONE MORE NAIL in CARREY's CAREER COFFIN. 

HERE's YOUR CHANCE to DEFEND -- OR DEFILE -- JIM CARREY's FAST-FADING REP as ONE of AMERICA's FUNNIEST COMIC ACTORS...

CARREY: "Come on, it's not like it sux as bad as NUMBER 23 -- maybe it has a shot at some video rental bux?!?"

Carrey: "Let's get The Mask!!!"""

Thomas Dickensheets
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>