Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Basics > Entire RAZZIE® History, Year-by-Year: 1980-2012
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

1983 RAZZIE® Nominees & "Winners"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983 RAZZIE® Nominees & "Winners"
    Posted: December 04 2005 at 2:05pm

Fourth Annual RAZZIE® Awards (for 1983)

Ceremonies Presented at Third Street Elementary School Cafetorium, Los Angeles, April 8, 1984

Winners denoted in boldface type.

WORST PICTURE

• HERCULES (MGM-UA/Cannon) Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus, producers
  • JAWS 3-D (Universal) Rupert Hitzig, producer
  • THE LONELY LADY (Universal) Robert R. Weston, producer
  • STROKER ACE (Universal) Hank Moonjean, producer
  • TWO OF A KIND (20th Century-Fox) Roger M. Rothstein and Joe Wizan, producers

WORST ACTOR

• Christopher Atkins, A NIGHT IN HEAVEN (a.k.a. A NIGHT OF HEAVING)
  • Lloyd Bochner, THE LONELY LADY
  • Lou Ferrigno, HERCULES
  • Barbra Streisand, YENTL
  • John Travolta, STAYIN' ALIVE and TWO OF A KIND

WORST ACTRESS

• Loni Anderson, STROKER ACE
  • Linda Blair, CHAINED HEAT
  • Faye Dunaway, THE WICKED LADY
  • Olivia Newton-John, TWO OF A KIND
  • Pia Zadora, THE LONELY LADY

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR

• Joseph Cali, THE LONELY LADY
  • Lou Gossett, Jr. JAWS 3-D
  • Anthony Holland, THE LONELY LADY
  • Jim Nabors, STROKER ACE
  • Richard Pryor, SUPERMAN III

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

• Bibi Besch, THE LONELY LADY
  • Sybil Danning, CHAINED HEAT and HERCULES
  • Finola Hughes, STAYIN' ALIVE
  • Amy Irving, YENTL
  • Diana Scarwid, STRANGE INVADERS

WORST DIRECTOR

• Joe Alves, JAWS 3-D
  • Brian dePalma, SCARFACE
  • Brian Herzfeld, TWO OF A KIND
  • Hal Needham, STROKER ACE
  • Peter Sasdy, THE LONELY LADY

WORST SCREENPLAY

• FLASHDANCE Screenplay by Tom Hedley and Joe Ezsterhas, Story by Hedley
  • HERCULES Screenplay by Lewis Coats (Luigi Cozzi)
  • JAWS 3-D Screenplay by Richard Matheson and Carl Gottlieb, Story by Guerdon Trueblood, "Suggested" by the Peter Benchley novel "Jaws"
  • THE LONELY LADY Adaptation by Ellen Shephard, Screenplay by John Kershaw and Shawn Randall, from the novel by Harold Robbins 
  • TWO OF A KIND, Written by John Herzfeld 

WORST NEW STAR

• Loni Anderson, STROKER ACE
  • Reb Brown, YOR: THE HUNTER FROM THE FUTURE
  • Cindy and Sandy (The Shrieking Dolphins) JAWS 3-D
  • Lou Ferrigno, HERCULES

WORST 'ORIGINAL' SONG

• "Each Man Kills The Thing He Loves" from QUERELLE, Music by Peter Raben, Lyrics from a poem by Oscar Wilde
  • "Lonely Lady" from THE LONELY LADY Music by Charles Calello, Lyrics by Roger Voudouris
  • "The Way You DO It" from THE LONELY LADY, by Jeff Harrington and J. Pennig
  • "Yor's World!" from YOR: THE HUNTER FROM THE FUTURE, Music by Guido & Maurizio deAngelis, Lyrics by Barbara Antonia, Susan Duncan-Smith, Pauline Hanna and Cesare deNatale'
  • "Young and Joyful Bandit" from QUERELLE, Music by Peter Raben, Lyrics by Jeanne Moreau

WORST MUSICAL SCORE

• THE LONELY LADY Charles Calello, Jeff Harrington, J. Pennig and Roger Voudouris
  • QUERELLE Music by Peter Rabin
  • SUPERMAN III Score Adapted and Conducted by Giorgio Moroder
  • YENTL, Music by Michel LeGrand, Lyrics by Marilyn & Alan Bergman
  • YOR: THE HUNTER FORM THE FUTURE Music by John Scott, Guido & Maurizio deAngelis

BREAKDOWN

• THE LONELY LADY - 11 Nominations (in only 10 Categories!) 6 "Wins" (A Then RAZZIE Record!)
  • HERCULES - 5 Nominations, 2 "Wins"
  • STROKER ACE - 5 Nominations, 1 "Win"
  • A NIGHT IN HEAVEN - 1 Nomination, 1 "Win"
  • JAWS 3-D, TWO OF A KIND - 5 Nominations Each, No "Wins"

HISTORIC NOTES: With 22 out of 50 Nominations (A Whopping 44% of The Total!) Universal Pictures set The All-Time Record for Most Nominations by One Studio in A Single Year, and LONELY LADY, with 11 nominations of its own, became the first film in RAZZIE History ever to get more nominations than we had categories (it was dually nominated for Worst Song).

©1984, Golden Raspberry Award Foundation and John Wilson

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 2:57pm
Why was Barbra Streisand up for "Worst Actor"?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: For 80% or more of YENTL, Streisand is "in disguise" as a male Yeshiva student, so as a way of pointing out how unconvincing she was in male drag, we listed her under Worst Actor rather than as Worst Actress...  

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Filmfan421 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Filmfan421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 11:43am
Brian DePalma as WORST DIRECTOR NOMINEE FOR SCARFACE!?

Then again...Everyone hated Scarface at first, so I guess it wasn't really you people's fault.  
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 12:37pm
"Scarface" is by no means a great movie. Nowadays, it's simply a "cult classic" (or a "guilty pleasure") to many...  

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 12:50pm
About 16 movies got nominations for the 1983 RAZZIES. Nothing like 1994, 1996, 2003, 2006, 2007, or 2008, when 22 or more movies got nominated. Can that be explained?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Yes...there are only so many nominations to be passed out in any given year, and for 1983 the five Worst Picture contenders wracked up, among them, 31 of the 50 total nods available (with LONELY LADY, all by its lonesome, chalking up a then record 11 noms -- with only 10 categories being voted on!) leaving little room for any other titles to sneak in around the edges...
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 2:59pm
So she's so unconvincing as a man that she should be awarded as a man?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Perhaps the "joke on a joke" is lost in translation -- by nominating her as Worst Actor, we are saying she gave an unconvincing performance as a man...  

BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 8:03pm
Hell, Eddie Murphy "won" for Worst Supporting Actress in "Norbit"!  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: As should be obvious if you've perused our entire history, the RAZZIES have a long-standing tradition of nominating "drag performances" (both male and female) in the category appropriate to the the sex (or costume) of the character being portrayed...  

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 9:04pm
Next question for HeadRAZZBerry: So the 5 worst films of 1983 swept the nominations that year. How do the voters determine whether to spread or sweep the noms?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Our Voting Membership in 1983 was about 1/10th of what it is now, but I still cannot answer your question, as each Member is supposed to vote their own opinion. And, while lobbying on behalf of certain titles or performances was common during our early years, there was no single person or force who had the power to "determine whether to spread or sweep the noms."

My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...
Jennifar View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jennifar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 10:19am
There is a lot of WORST  i never see a lot of worst things in my life but you fill this place.
Annyl View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Annyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 10:54pm
Nowadays, it's simply a "cult classic" (or a "guilty pleasure") to many...  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 8:04am
Why were there only 4 nominees for Worst Screenplay instead of 5? Seems like there were enough badly written movies to choose from that year. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Apparently in transcribing our nominee lists for posting here, the fifth Worst Screenplay nominee (John Herzfeld for TWO OF A KIND) was overlooked. I have corrected the info at the top of this Forum, and apologize for any confusion this error may have caused... 
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 8:15am
On Wikipedia, Two Of A Kind is listed for Worst Screenplay, but imdb just has the four.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Thanks for pointing out that IMDb also was missing the Worst Screenplay nod for TWO OF A KIND -- I have just attempted to correct their database as well... 

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2011 at 4:27pm
I saw FLASHDANCE,and I won't review it.

Sure,the music video style was very cool(even though the scene of ALEX walking down the town and "helping" the policeman with traffic was more silent movie-ish),but it got old after a while.And everytime a new number appeared it made the plot slower,and it's not a very good plot.It had it's good moments,but overall it was too cliche.And it had early signs of Joe Eszterhas's odd humour and bipolar characters we would later see in SHOWGIRLS.Still,I don't think it deserved the nomination.I do agree with the Oscar noms for Best Editing and Cinematography,and it's win for Best Original Song for WHAT A FEELING.As for MANIAC being nominated...well,that one was written for a movie with the same title,so it wasn't really an original song despite being re-written.

I give it 4/10.
KingOfPain View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote KingOfPain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 10:45am
I have a question: I come to these forums completely non-biased but as someone who has ALWAYS been curious about this oddity: Why was Amy Irving nominated for a Razzie? Considering she was also nominated for an Oscar for the exact same role, this is one of the rare instances where an actor/actress was nominated for a Razzie AND an Oscar for the same role (I believe James Coco was another contender). I have asked several people who have seen Yentl what they thought of Amy Irving in it and they seem to be somewhat non-plussed about it. 

The Oscars and the Razzies highlight the HIGHEST and LOWEST points of an actor's career... so how can she be nominated for both? She was either good or she was bad... but not in the middle? What about her performance in Yentl was so bad that she deserved the Razzie nomination? And what were Oscar voters seeing that you guys weren't?

Cheers  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Actually, had Amy Irving won the Oscar, your question would be more valid. But since she failed to win either award (as did Coco, by the way) I suppose it's possible to make an argument that both we and the Oscars were wrong, and her performance was merely mediocre. I voted for Irving because I found the idea that her character was unaware (even after their wedding night) that her "husband" was actually Barbra Streisand dressed in men's clothes, and not a male Yeshiva student, patently ridiculous -- and I thought Irving brought nothing to the role that made that notion any more credible than it would have been on paper when Irving read the screenplay and agreed to accept the part...  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

WORST ACTOR
  • Barbra Streisand, YENTL

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

• Amy Irving, YENTL

WORST MUSICAL SCORE

• YENTL, Music by Michel LeGrand, Lyrics by Marilyn & Alan Bergman
Skip to 04:03.

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

WORST ACTOR
  • John Travolta, STAYIN' ALIVE and TWO OF A KIND

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

WORST NEW STAR

Skip to 04:20.
Any thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>