Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Basics > Entire RAZZIE® History, Year-by-Year: 1980-2013
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

1997 RAZZIE® Nominees & "Winners"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1997 RAZZIE® Nominees & "Winners"
    Posted: December 04 2005 at 3:00pm

Ninteenth Annual RAZZIE® Awards (for 1997)

Presented at The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel Academy Room / March 22, 1998

Winners denoted in boldface type.

Worst Picture

• ANACONDA (Columbia) Produced by Verna Harrah, Leonard Rabinowitz, Carole Little.
  • BATMAN & ROBIN (Warner Bros.) Produced by Peter MacGregor-Scott.
  • FIRE DOWN BELOW (Warner Bros.) Produced by Steven Seagal & Julius R. Nasso
  • THE POSTMAN (Warner Bros.) Produced by Jim Wilson Steve Tisch and Kevin Costner.
  • SPEED 2: CRUISE CONTROL (20th Century-Fox) Produced by Jan De Bont.

Worst Actor

• Kevin Costner, THE POSTMAN
  • Val Kilmer, THE SAINT
  • Shaquille O'Neal, STEEL
  • Steven Seagal, FIRE DOWN BELOW
  • Jon Voight, ANACONDA

Worst Actress

• Sandra Bullock, SPEED 2: CRUISE CONTROL
  • Fran Drescher, BEAUTICIAN & THE BEAST
  • Lauren Holly, A SMILE LIKE YOURS and TURBULENCE
  • Demi Moore, G.I. JANE
  • Alicia Silverstone, EXCESS BAGGAGE

Worst Supporting Actor

• Willem Dafoe, SPEED 2: CRUISE CONTROL
  • Chris O'Donnell, BATMAN & ROBIN
  • Dennis Rodman, DOUBLE TEAM
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger, BATMAN & ROBIN
  • Jon Voight, MOST WANTED and U-TURN

Worst Supporting Actress

• Faye Dunaway, ALBINO ALLIGATOR
  • Milla Jovovich, THE FIFTH ELEMENT
  • Julia Louis-Dreyfus, FATHERS' DAY
  • Alicia Silverstone, BATMAN & ROBIN
  • Uma Thurman, BATMAN & ROBIN

Worst Screen Couple

• Sandra Bullock & Jason Patric, SPEED 2: CRUISE CONTROL
  • George Clooney & Chris O'Donnell, BATMAN & ROBIN
  • Dennis Rodman & Jean-Claude van Damme, DOUBLE TEAM
  • Steven Seagal & His Guitar, FIRE DOWN BELOW
  • Jon Voight & The Animatronic Anaconda, ANACONDA

Worst Reckless Disregard for Human Life and Public Property (NEW CATEGORY)

• BATMAN & ROBIN
  • CON AIR
  • LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK
  • TURBULENCE
  • VOLCANO

Worst Re-Make or Sequel

• BATMAN & ROBIN
  • HOME ALONE 3, Produced by John Hughes, Hilton Green
  • LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK, Produced by Gerald R. Molen and Colin Wilson.
  • McHALE'S NAVY, Produced by Sid, Bill and John Sheinberg.
  • SPEED 2: CRUISE CONTROL

Worst Director

• Kevin Costner, THE POSTMAN
  • Jan De Bont, SPEED 2: CRUISE CONTROL
  • Luis Llosa, ANACONDA
  • Joel Schumacher, BATMAN & ROBIN
  • Oliver Stone U-TURN

Worst Screenplay

• ANACONDA, Written by Hans Bauer and Jim Cash & Jack Epps, Jr.
  • BATMAN & ROBIN, Written by Akiva Goldsman, Based Upon "Batman" Characters Created by Bob Kane.
  • LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK, Screenplay by David Koepp, Based on The Novel by Michael Chrichton.
  • THE POSTMAN, Screenplay by Eric Roth and Brian Helgeland, Based on The Book by David Brin.
  • SPEED 2: CRUISE CONTROL, Screenplay by Randall McCormick and Jeff Nathanson, Story by Jan De Bont and McCormick.

Worst New Star

• The Animatronic Anaconda, ANACONDA
  • Dennis Rodman, DOUBLE TEAM
  • Tori Spelling, THE HOUSE OF YES (Miramax) and SCREAM 2 (Dimension Films)
  • Howard Stern, PRIVATE PARTS (Paramount)
  • Chris Tucker, THE FIFTH ELEMENT and MONEY TALKS (New Line)

Worst Song

• "The End is The Beginning is The End" from BATMAN & ROBIN, Written by Billy Corgan.
  • The Entire Song Score from THE POSTMAN, Words and Music by Jeffrey Barr, Glenn Burke, John Coinman, Joe Flood, Blair Forward, Maria Machado and Jono Manson.
  • "Fire Down Below" from FIRE DOWN BELOW, Music and Lyrics by Steven Seagal and Mark Collie.
  • "How Do I Live?" from CON AIR, Written by Diane Warren.
  • "My Dream" from SPEED 2: CRUISE CONTROL, Written by Orville Burrell, Robert Livingston, Dennis Haliburton.

BREAKDOWN

• THE POSTMAN - 5
  • DOUBLE TEAM - 3
  • BATMAN & ROBIN - 1
  • CON AIR - 1
  • G.I. JANE - 1
  • SPEED 2: CRUISE CONTROL - 1 

©1998, Golden Raspberry Award Foundation and John Wilson  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
viciouslove View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote viciouslove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 12:38pm
How was Demi Moore the worst of actress of this year? I don't always love her in movies but I thought she was great in GI Jane, not a lot of women could play that role. Some of these nominees and winners for the "worst" are pretty lame! 
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 2:32pm
Personally, I'm surprised "Batman & Robin" didn't sweep! "Postman" must have been REALLY bad. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Take my word for it, Costner's POSTMAN sucked -- To this day, it remains the only Worst Picture "winner" so tedious that, despite my owning a copy of it, I have NEVER been able to watch all the way through in a single sitting...  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 1:20pm

Come on! Tori Spelling's appearance in SCREAM 2 was a cameo! She had less screen time than Chris Tucker in JACKIE BROWN. 

And Oliver Stone should've won Worst Director for U-TURN, a movie in which all the bad things focused on the visual.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 2:10pm
I guess the Razzie voters hated Tori THAT much! I mean, come on, she wouldn't have a career at all had it not been for who her daddy was.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 2:33pm
I forgot to say that I mentioned that JACKIE BROWN because it also came out that year, so Tucker could've been nominated.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 4:58pm
I just saw FACE/OFF.We can all agree it was good,but John Woo was bad.You could've nominated it for "Worst Director".
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 5:09pm
You're suggesting all these well-received movies should've gotten RAZZIE nominations. Why can't you focus this more on panned movies instead?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 7:12pm
Yeah, "Face/Off" was pretty bad, but "The Postman" and "Batman & Robin" made it look like a masterpiece by comparison.  

Originally posted by Vits

I just saw FACE/OFF. We can all agree it was good, but John Woo's work was bad. You should've nominated him for "Worst Director".
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 12:41pm
You're not listening me! I liked FACE/OFF. I just hated the directing. I also hated JACKIE BROWN, and I know you couldn't nominate it for "Worst Picture" but "Worst New Star" for Chris Tucker was a possibility. Nothing against him, but that's what I thought the movie deserved, and Tucker was already nominated for that.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 2:30pm
I gave TURBULENCE 4/10. It deserves "Worst Action Movie" (that's the techinal name, right?. As for Lauren Holly, I thought she was...meh. 

Jennifar View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jennifar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 10:20am
Why did you give a Razzie to "The End is The Beginning is The End" from BATMAN & ROBIN, Written by Billy Corgan?? This song is not bad -- I liked this song! 
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 10:28am
To be honest Jennifar, it's hard to see bad movie songs (or sometimes scores). But if the song is average, and is from a bad movie, maybe it's considered Razzie-worthy. 

Is that why the Worst Song category doesn't exist anymore?  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 10:21pm
I would guess yes, since musical taste varies from person to person, but bad movies can be more easily agreed upon.  

Originally posted by Vits

To be honest Jennifar,it's hard to see bad movie songs(or sometimes scores).But if the song is average and is from a bad movie it's considered Razzie-worthy.Is that why the category doesn't exist anymore? 

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 8:01am

Watched The Postman last night. While it was insanely terrible, it wasn't on the same level of terrible as Batman & Robin...  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: BATMAN & ROBIN entered the 1997 RAZZIE® race with 11 nominations, the most of any title that year, but wound up with only one "win" (LINK). B&R also received slightly better reviews (R.T. LINK) than POSTMAN did (R.T. LINK). POSTMAN wound up as the only Worst Picture nominee ever to "win" every RAZZIE® for which it was nominated (LINK). Guess our Voting Members at the time thought, stinky as it was, BATMAN & ROBIN at least recouped a substantial portion of its budget (B.O. MoJo LINK) while POSTMAN, the living definition of "vanity production," cost and lost a fortune (B.O. MoJo LINK). It was probably also a factor in POSTMAN's "favor" that it featured a major RAZZIE® "target" of the 1990s, Kevin Costner (who ranks second only to Stallone as our Awl-Time Male Cham-Peen (LINK).. 

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Annyl View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Annyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 10:59pm
I guess the Razzie voters hated Tori THAT much!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>