Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > YEAR ONE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Get Back in Yer Cave, Man!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Get Back in Yer Cave, Man!
    Posted: June 19 2009 at 2:33am

...AND WE THOUGHT LAND OF THE LOST WOULD BE 2009's BIGGEST PRE-HISTORIC B.O. MISFIRE...

UNTIL ITS FELLOW LAUGH-FREE DAWN of TIME "COMEDY" LOST DROPPED OFF a CLIFF, WE BET the MAKERS of YEAR ONE THOUGHT THEY HAD a BOX OFFICE CONTENDUH...   

BUT WHEN THOSE ENDLESS (and LESS-THAN-ENTERTAINING) SPECIAL SHOOT PROMOs THAT APPEARED THROUGHOUT the NBA FINALS GAMES ALL FELL FLAT, MAYBE WE SHOULDA BEEN a TAD MORE SUSPICIOUS... 

AND WHEN REVIEWS DIDN'T SHOW UP at R.T. 'TILL a MERE 48 HOURS BEFORE the FILM OPENED, THAT MIGHTA BEEN a CLUE... 

AND THEN, WHEN the R.T. NUMBERS DID START COMING IN, YEAR ONE WOUND UP EVEN LOWER-RATED THAN LOST, WE FINALLY REALIZED WE'D LOST an OPPORTUNITY to SPOT a LIKELY RAZZIE® CONTENDER AHEAD of TIME...

BUT, AS HUMANKIND HAS BEEN SAYING ALMOST SINCE THE DAWN of TIME, BETTER LATE THAN NEVER...

SO HERE, at LAST, IS the WELL-DESERVED FORUM to LET YOU LET US KNOW...JUST HOW UN-FUNNY IS YEAR ONE??

"Did you just fart...or is that the stench of stillborn jokes lying dead all over the floor??"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
kelemenmarc View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote kelemenmarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 6:05am

It is one of the worst films of the year, unambiguously. Michael Cera and Jack Black play weaklings terribly, and should both have Worst Actor nominations, and a Worst Screen Couple nomination for sure.

FYC:
Worst Picture,  Worst Director, Worst Screenplay, Worst Actor (Cera and Black) and Worst Screen Couple (Cera & Black) 

FYC:
Worst Movie: The Bounty Hunter
Worst Actor: Johnny Depp (Alice in Wonderland / The Tourist)
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 7:36am
*shivvering with delight*
Thanks HeadRazz for the Olivia Wilde picture.
I'm still curious as to whether this movie is as bad as they say... It seems likely that it is.
If nothing else though, it seems like sort of a History of the World Pt. 1 ripoff.
-Iron helps us play-
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 1:06pm

With the usual plethora of fart and gay jokes, this is no doubt yet another "comedy" that is a waste of 90 minutes of one's life.

Fred Cooper
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 1:41pm
Harold Ramis used to do such comedies that prove to be funny like Caddyshack, Stripes, National Lampoon's Vacation, such old classics. It was good that you chose this over The Proposal. That movie has gotten better though more mixed reviews than this piece of crap.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 1:53pm
God, I was looking forward to this film. Judd Apatow was listed as a producer. But then I saw the scene where Michael Cera (in gold paint) hits on one of the worst actresses on the planet. I mean, that line she spoke ("I have to be a slave", or something) just made me cringe. Somebody tell Hollywood that Juno-esque dialogue isn't necessary.

And Jack Black just appeared in an award-winning animated comedy last summer, now he's doing this? And Michael Cera, while not a terrible performer, needs to stop riffing it up.
You think you know, but you have no idea.
Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 2:40pm

Oh Harold Ramis, what happened? I told you not to cross the streams!

Hollywood really needs to stop with these stupid prehistoric movies. They're not funny and they're not needed. 10,000 BC, Land of the Lost, Year One they're all trash. Stick to movies in the present. Stop travelling through time like Back to the Future.

Michael Cera isn't a BAD actor but he just got stuck up in this garbitch. And I used to like Jack Black but now he's starting to get annoying. Funny comedians have been becoming unfunny lately!

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 3:28pm
This is what Eric D. Snider had to say about the film:
"How does this happen? How does "Year One," a movie with so much raw
talent behind it, turn out so lousy? Look at the cast: Jack Black and Michael
Cera are the stars, with supporting roles by David Cross, Paul Rudd, Kyle
Gass, Oliver Platt, McLovin from "Superbad," Hank Azaria, Bill Hader, and
Paul Scheer. It was directed by Harold Ramis, who made "National
Lampoon's Vacation" and "Groundhog Day," and written by Ramis and two
writers from "The Office." This should be one of the funniest films of the
year. Instead, it's one of the dullest."

That pretty much sums up why I'm disappointed to be canceling my plans to
see this one.
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 3:31pm

10,000 BC was funny...it just wasn't intending to be.

Originally posted by Headbanger14

Hollywood really needs to stop with these stupid prehistoric movies. They're not funny and they're not needed. 10,000 BC, Land of the Lost, Year One they're all trash. Stick to movies in the present. Stop travelling through time like Back to the
Future.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 7:25pm
Michael Cera is one of the most one note actors of our time. I mean, he's semi-unique, and there's often a place for him, but he's basically a Charlton Heston.
-Iron helps us play-
PopcornAvenger View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote PopcornAvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 1:19am

Eh, it doesn't have to be a prehistoric movie to be horrible. Just like any genre, it's dependent on a lot more than just the time period.

I doubt they'll ever make a better movie in this genre than Quest for Fire, though.

I'll still watch Quest again before seeing Lost, even when it hits rental.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 2:14am

Originally posted by PopcornAvenger

I doubt they'll ever make a better movie in this genre than Quest for Fire, though.

True, that was the most "realistic" of all the cavemen movies, in the way of cavemen being ugly, unkept, fur wearing half-apes who only grunt. I guess these clean, upright, fluent English speaking cavemen are more of the Catholic "evolution needs to be further explored" variety.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 11:42am
I can't remember which one that was... I THINK I've seen it... Is that the one were there's the chick caveman and she gets molested by everyone and everything?
-Iron helps us play-
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 5:29pm
I still intend to watch these two better Michael Cera films which are Superbad and Juno 100 times than go see this piece of sh*t.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 3:53am
...Olivia Wilde is so hot, it's an insult to the rest of the human race.
-Iron helps us play-
PopcornAvenger View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote PopcornAvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 5:08am

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

I can't remember which one that was... I THINK I've seen it... Is that the one were there's the chick caveman and she gets molested by everyone and everything?

That would be Rae Dawn Chong, she of Commando fame.

Probably the #1 reason I liked QFF.  That, and it was geniunely funny.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>