Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2005 Film Discussions > MEMOIRS of a GEISHA: Oscar-Baiter Gone Wrong?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Pardon Me, MEMOIR??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pardon Me, MEMOIR??
    Posted: December 09 2005 at 9:51am

JUST LIKE A GEISHA EDUCATED in the WAYS of "ENTERTAINING MEN," MEMOIRS WAS ONLY MADE to ENTICE OSCAR VOTERS' ATTENTION...

BUT COULD IT BE BAD ENOUGH to EARN OUR ATTENTION?

It's a Perfect Example of something movie-goers see plenty of at the end of every year: A film that serves no purpose but to get the attention of Academy Members. From the Oscar-snubbed director of Best Picture winner CHICAGO, MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA was supposed to finally win Rob Marshall the Little Gold Naked Man he didn't get in 2003. Instead, it's got an embarrassingly low Critics' Approval Rating at Rotten Tomatoes, and its studio may be starting to panic. SHOULD COLUMBIA/DREAMWORKS CONSIDER LETTING RAZZIE VOTERS IN FREE TO SEE IT?

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
JoBloMovieGoer View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoBloMovieGoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 11:47am
I don't really care what critics are saying -- But my own impression, based on the trailer and TV spots, is that GEISHA is a pretentious chick-flick designed to get female Oscar votes. I wouldn't be caught DEAD anywhere near any theater showing it!
#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 11:50am
Oh, boo-hoo! Poor Dumb Old Hollywood!  The big studios can't make an actual GOOD movie to save their lives, but they're willing to pump  a small fortune into producing and promoting artsy-fartsy face-painted-chicks-in-kimonas crap like this. I HOPE IT BOMBS!
AmazinM View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote AmazinM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 12:46pm
I was fortunate to see an advance release screening.  Visually it is beautiful.  I felt that they chose the cool and distant aspects of the culture they were attempting to recreate and respresent, and missed some of the fun and fire of the book.  Watching it I tried not count omissions, changes or differences from the book, and take it as it's own work.  They have taken the core themes and created a Westernized movie version which is interesting.  Ultimately though, for me it doesn't resonate the way great films do. Rather, it was a beautiful work that I enjoyed, but I won't probably catch on pay per view or cable/satellite.
The Baron View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 2:03pm

I would have loved to see this movie done right. But, leave it to Hollywood. Only an industry run by MBAs and lawyers could take such a very Japanese story, and not cast a single Japanese actress in a principal role! Why? Because to the minds of Hollywood "producers," there aren't any "box office" Japanese actresses. Hell, I can think of several wonderful Japanese actresses who could have handled the roles. To many East Asians, casting Chinese and Malaysian/Chinese actresses (Zhang ZiYi, Michelle Yeoh) is the equivalent of a minstrel show using Caucasian actors in black-face. Even in the USA, we've gotten past casting white actors to play Indians, Mexicans, and East Asians. Essentially, Hollywood is saying "all Asians look alike."

Of course, I'd kill to see what Takashi Miike would have done with it.

Robertin View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Robertin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2005 at 10:40am
Originally posted by The Baron

I would have loved to see this movie done right. But, leave it to Hollywood. Only an industry run by MBAs and lawyers could take such a very Japanese story, and not cast a single Japanese actress in a principal role! Why? Because to the minds of Hollywood "producers," there aren't any "box office" Japanese actresses. Hell, I can think of several wonderful Japanese actresses who could have handled the roles. To many East Asians, casting Chinese and Malaysian/Chinese actresses (Zhang ZiYi, Michelle Yeoh) is the equivalent of a minstrel show using Caucasian actors in black-face. Even in the USA, we've gotten past casting white actors to play Indians, Mexicans, and East Asians. Essentially, Hollywood is saying "all Asians look alike."

Of course, I'd kill to see what Takashi Miike would have done with it.

Agreed. Those kind of stories must be made by Japanese directors. I would have died to see what would be of this movie if placed in the hands of such guys as Kurosawa, Kitano, Ozu or even Oshima

#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 5:23am
So "Geisha" got all-but shut out in the Golden Globes -- Maybe the backlash has finally started??
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2005 at 11:23am
Check out Daily Box Office on "Geisha" at Box Office Mojo...it's going down faster than a hooker hired by Hugh Grant!
Everything SUX!
#1-Film Freak!! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Film Freak!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 7:38am
This is one movie that made me wish I were deaf...it was visually GORGEOUS, but the screenplay and acting left me totally unimpressed. And I guess I'm not alone on that: The ad for it in today's paper was suddenly changed. They're no longer using the white-faced, doll-like image of the Geisha, but a picture of two characters about to embrace...when the studio starts second-guessing the ad campaign, that's a sure sign they think they've got a turkey on their hands! 
Nobody LUVS movies more than ME!
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 1:24am

I saw this film last night. The very first English line is, "A story like mine should never be told." I spent the next two and a half hours wishing it hadn't been.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
miladyblue View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote miladyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 9:18am

To add to the points above about "Westernizing" something, it is stated emphatically by the Japanese that Geisha are NOT prostitutes. However, judging by what I have seen of the ad campaigns, it sure looks like they are trying for a Japanese "Pretty Woman."

I am also in agreement - why NOT cast Japanese actresses? Sure, a Japanese starlet might not be well known by "other" audiences, but why not take a chance on an unknown? After all, big stars don't start out that way. Real stars (and I don't mean a Paris Hilton) get their starts by doing small or bit parts, and keeping at it until their big break.

If I were Ziyi Zhang, I would be watching over my shoulder. Have any of the rest of you read what some Chinese are saying or threatening to do to her? Yikes!

Capital punishment turns the state into a murderer... but life imprisonment turns the state into a gay dungeon master.
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 5:46am
I do believe all MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA proved is that sales of hari-kiri swords are going through the roof...
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
MovieGoer View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote MovieGoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 1:00pm

I actuallu really like  "Memoirs" .  It was not perfect. The main geisha should have been Japanese (though I liked Ziyi Zhang despite the choppy english) and it was very different from the book. I was very surprised to see the harsh reviews, which I can understand about the acting and casting  but not about the film as a whole. I was not quite as surprised with the Golden Globe snub. Come Jan. 31  I still hope it does well with the Oscar nominations (Gong Li should be nominated for Best Supporting Actress).

Michael View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 1:34pm
Actually, I liked the movie aswell. Gong Li should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars, and perhaps won. The Fire Scene was amazing.

Ziyi Zhang and Michelle Yeoh were competent too.

I have no idea why it got such horrid reviews (Though there are some really good reviews, for instance, Time Magazine wrote an absolutely glowing review of the movie).

And, as another poster said it was visually stunning and the score was superb (it was nominated for six Oscars in those categories, I think)

And I frankly don't care if Ziyi Zhang or Michelle Yeoh were Japanese or not. They're actors, they play roles.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2007 at 8:30am

This looked BORING

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2010 at 4:12pm
I was so angry when I heard the argument about not having all Japanese actors. So? A good actor can play characters of many different nationalities.

Oh, and the movie itself was...well, I gave it 5/10. 
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>