Is This Some Kinda Career DEATH WISH?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is This Some Kinda Career DEATH WISH?!?
    Posted: January 27 2010 at 7:38pm
Though I wasn't one of them, an estimated one quarter of the boys within a 20-or-so mile radius of my college born in the early 1990's saw it, and out of that quarter, 95% loved it (Avatar eventually replaced Abiding as their favorite movie of '009).
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 5:46am
Originally posted by GTAHater767

My classmates love this movie! Is there any logical explanation? Despite the bad reviews, bad press, and this forum, a gagworthy portion of my classmates cite this as their favorite film of 2009!
You mean there were actual people who saw this movie? I would have never guessed!
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 6:20pm
My classmates love this movie! Is there any logical explanation? Despite the bad reviews, bad press, and this forum, a gagworthy portion of my classmates cite this as their favorite film of 2009!
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by babypook

Comparing this to any Michael Bay film is giving it too much credit.

LAC is vile, with a ridiculous, hole-ridden 'story' line, and riddled with psychobabble and 'philosophy'.

But "Transformers 2" had all that, too. So it IS on par with a Michael Bay movie.

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 4:09pm
As it turns out, Gerard Butler nude is enough to make me not give this a shot at all. I own 300, that's more than enough naked man to endure.
-Iron helps us play-
babypook View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote babypook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 2:37pm

Comparing this to any Michael Bay film is giving it too much credit.

LAC is vile, with a ridiculous, hole-ridden 'story' line, and riddled with psychobabble and 'philosophy'.

Skip it.

*mind you, the nude shot of Gerard Butler is not bad at all.

razzalynne2000
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 5:45pm
I thought it was going to be a court room drama about Fox getting the innocent Butler out of jail. However, it's actually an action movie? Confused.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2009 at 6:01am
This one looks fairly benign... A mediocre/average thriller. Looks like it has a little bit of wit behind it... not enough to make it any good, but it's probably at least watchable.
-Iron helps us play-
Julianstark View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Julianstark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 8:04am

Assuming that this film is gonna be "accepted" into Razzie contention, does this mean that Butler has potential for three nominations or one collective nomination for all three of his films this year??? 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Unlike the Oscars® (who famously failed to nominate Sidney Poitier as Best Actor when he appeared in GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER, IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT and TO SIR WITH LOVE all in 1967) our rules list the performer, followed by any and all rotten movies in which they appeared that calendar year. As the 2010 edition of THE GUINNESS BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS will mention, the most titles ever listed after a name nominated for a Worst Actor RAZZIE® was Ben Stiller, for appearing in ALONG CAME POLLY, ANCHORMAN, DODGEBALL, ENVY and STARSKY & HUTCH, all in 2004.

So, yes, if Butler is a 2009 nominee for Worst Actor ALL of his eligible 2009 titles will be listed...  

For Your 2010 Razzie Consideration: The Bounty Hunter and Leap Year --
Check out my blog! Movies and Other Things
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 5:18am

GOING-thru-the-MOTIONS SEEMS to BE HAPPENING SO OFTEN with BIG BUDGET, BIG NAME PROJECTS in 2009, IT  COULD ALMOST BE CONSIDERED ITS OWN MOVIE GENRE.

AND LAW ABIDING CITIZEN, an ERSATZ DEATH-WISH-with-STUFF-THAT-BLOWS-UP-REAL-GOOD, IS YET ANOTHER PAINFUL EXAMPLE. 2004 BEST ACTOR WINNER JAMIE FOXX and LIKELY 2009 WORST ACTOR NOMINEE GERARD BUTLER  CO-STAR AS ADVERSARIES on TWO SIDES of the LAW -- FOXX PROFESSING THAT "SOME JUSTICE IS BETTER THAN NO JUSTICE AT ALL," and BUTLER WANTING to BLOW MANKIND to KINGDOM COME for the BRUTAL MURDER/RAPE of HIS WIFE and DAUGHTER. WE'LL BE SURPRISED IF ANYONE WHO'S EVER SEEN ONE of THESE MOVIES CAN'T TELL WHERE THIS ONE's HEADED -- and PREDICT IT's EVERY "PLOT TWIST" -- 15 MINUTES IN. 

BUT THERE's PLENTY of BLAME to GO AROUND, INCLUDING WHAT THE L.A. TIMES CALLED a "PAINT-by-NUMBERS" SCREENPLAY and DIRECTION from F. GARY GRAY THAT's BEEN HAILED as "PERFUNCTORY."

SEEMS THERE's NO END to HOLLYWOOD's LAZINESS in REGURGITATING FORMULAS THEY'RE SURE WILL WORK...TROUBLE IS, AUDIENCES MAY FINALLY BE ONTO THEM. HERE's HOPING LAW ABIDING CITIZEN IS a FAILURE with AUDIENCES as WELL as CRITICS.

FOXX: "Jesus, Gerard, you're three-for-three in 2009 alone. Are you trying to win the Worst Actor RAZZIE®??"

BUTLER: "But, Jamie, you've got even less excuse for being in crud like this -- You're an OSCAR® winner for kripesakes!"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
 Post Reply Post Reply