Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > ALL THOSE OTHER AWARDS: Who Cares?!?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

63rd Golden Glob Awards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 63rd Golden Glob Awards
    Posted: January 30 2006 at 4:23pm
If it's any consolation, David Cronenberg's next movie is based on a popular Italian novel about a late night radio show host.
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
Guests View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2006 at 11:35am
I think that it is too bad that a great actor like Viggo Mortensen is passed by in the Golden Globes again. It just isn't right...Misty
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2006 at 4:32pm
It is one of my Eternal Regrets that, the night Pia Zadora "won" Best New Star on The Golden Globs, I headed off to the supermarket to buy a quart of milk just before her envelope was opened, and thus missed One of the GREAT Bad Moments in Movie Award History. But it was Zadora's "controversial" win that inspired our on-again-off-again category of Worst New Star, so at least something of value came from that night...
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2006 at 3:33pm
I gave up on the Golden Globs when it was revealed that only 4 people
voted for Best New Star in 1982.

All 4 voted for Pia Zadora...
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2005 at 9:35pm

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

2005's Single Best Performance was excluded: Clifton Collins Jr as Perry Smith in CAPOTE. Collins managed the spectacular feat of being creepy, seductive and sympathetic all at once. WOW!
That's part of the reason I'm opposed to Capital Punishment. People like Perry Smith exist, intelligent enough to use words like "exacerbate" artistic and compassionate. It pained me to watch him on death row, knowing that a human life was going to be destroyed. Aside from his horrible mistake, he's still a human being.

Another thing that surprised me was his diversity. I remember him playing a gangbanger in 187, an insecure Marine in a military prison in Last Castle, and a tortured soldier afraid to get sent to Vietnam in Tigerland. It still bugs me that people like Clifton Collins gets ignored and Christian Slater is still making movies.

"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2005 at 5:31am

Not that I expect The Golden Globs voters to actually know good acting when they see it (as opposed to their unspoken tradition of basing their nominations on who they'd like to have attend their ceremonies) but I was personally disappointed that what I consider 2005's Single Best Performance was excluded: Clifton Collins Jr as Perry Smith in CAPOTE. Collins managed the spectacular feat of being creepy, seductive and sympathetic all at once. WOW!

But then, The Golden Globs are the subject of one of my all-time favorite Tinsel Town Put-Downs. Someone once said of the HFPA/Glob Membership: "These are people who would cross the Alps for a free hot dog!"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2005 at 1:12am
I'm suprised William Hurt wasn't nominated, he won both the LA and New York film critics awards. I agree Deadguy, History of Violence had good performances from everyone ( Mortensen was nominated for Best actor by the Satellite awards, and the London critics; Bello got the Globe nomination and New york film Critics win; Hurt got the previously mentioned awards; sadly no recognition for Ed Harris who was just as good as the rest.).
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2005 at 10:16pm

No best picture nods for Capote or Syriana? What the heck happened to The New World?

I'm glad A History of Violence got nominated, so far it's my favorite movie of the year.

- Joe Queenan

luvtherazzies View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote luvtherazzies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 10:56am
What is The Squid and the Whale supposed to be? A comedy or a musical? It did not seem like either one to me. As long as Peter Jackson wins, I don't care.
nay View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote nay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 10:34pm

MY GOLDEN GLOBE CHOICES: 

BEST MOTION PICTURE, DRAMA
   "Brokeback Mountain"

BEST MOTION PICTURE, MUSICAL OR COMEDY
   "The Squid and the Whale" -----D Do it will be Sideways in 2005?
   "Walk the Line."

FOREIGN LANGUAGE PICTURE
   "Kung Fu Hustle" (China) ---D Cheers

BEST DIRECTOR
   George Clooney, "Good Night, and Good Luck"

BEST DRAMATIC ACTOR
   Heath Ledger, "Brokeback Mountain" ---D Hottest
   Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote" ---D The Best

BEST DRAMATIC ACTRESS
   Felicity Huffman, "Transamerica" ----D Hot and Best
   Ziyi Zhang, "Memoirs of a Geisha"  ---D Lovely

BEST ACTOR, COMEDY OR MUSICAL
   Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk the Line"  ----D Cool

BEST ACTRESS, COMEDY OR MUSICAL
   Reese Witherspoon, "Walk the Line"  -----D Hot Stuff

SUPPORTING ACTOR
   Paul Giamatti, "Cinderella Man" ------D So Cool

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Frances McDormand, "North Country"  ------D Still not be Golden
      Michelle Williams, "Brokeback Mountain" ----D 1 th Choice

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 11:35am
Scoopy, I'm just glad that it WAS nominated for a Satellite award for Best Supporting Actor for Mickey Rourke's awesome comeback performance. The Broadcast critics also nominated it for Best Ensemble. These awards aren't Oscars, mind you, but it's pretty impressive for a comic-book movie ( Though technically it was a graphic novel). Ditto A History of Violence, I'm glad William Hurt is getting some recognition for his scene-stealing performance.
Uncle Scoopy View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Uncle Scoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 11:16am

I suppose the most glaring omission is in Best Director - where the most impressive achievement of the year (Robert Rodriguez, Sin City) is not even acknowledged with a perfunctory nod.

(Or maybe the second most impressive after King Kong)

Candyman546 View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Candyman546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 8:08am

Here's who I personally would choose right now, based on what I've seen so far, rumors, etc.

Picture-Drama: Brokeback Mountain. The biggest, most talked about, most praised movie of the year.

Picture-M or C: Based on what I have seen, I would say Walk the Line should win. However, critics darling The Squid and the Whale could pull one over our eyes.

Actor-Drama: Wow. Great competition. My first instinct is Ledger, but I haven't seen BM yet. I have Cinderella Man, Capote, and Hustle & Flow and out of all of them, Hoffman is the best.

Actor-Comedy/Musical: Phoenix, Phoenix, Phoenix

Actress-Drama: I haven't seen any of these yet, but right now, I would venture a guess for Huffman (similar to Swank's first win in Boys Don't Cry)

Actress-Musical or Comedy: Witherspoon

Supporting Actor: I think Matt Dillon deserves to win, although this is a hard pick.

Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams

Director: Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain

Screenplay: Brokeback/Good Night

These are my first predictions. I may be completely wrong, who gives a crap! Feel free to discuss.

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 7:21am
In response to "saturnwatcher": The People's Choice Awards actually DO inform the winners beforehand, but don't seem to make a secret of the fact. I personally agree that it makes for a tacky event, but hey -- They were created by Proctor & Gamble as a means to shill their soap and deodorant products, so of course they stink!
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 5:53am
Love the nominations for Russell Crowe, Paul Giamatti, Bob Hoskins, Johnny Depp, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 5:33am
The only awards show more vapid than the Golden Globes is the People's Choice Awards. At the People's Choice, you can determine all the winners just by watching who shows up. It appears that the only people in the audience are the winners, leading to the strong suspicion that they are notified in advance.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>