Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 27th RAZZIE® AWARDS DISCUSSIONS & FORUMS > THE PINK PANTHER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

MERD!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
underage View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote underage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MERD!
    Posted: November 16 2007 at 12:10am

This was a very funny movie -- and Steve Martin was great in it!

bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 2:56pm
I read in another topic in this Forum that they're making another sequel, having a different director (since Shawn Levy isn't coming back to direct it).   
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 6:10pm

From the standpoint that Steve Martin was effectively recreating exactly the same character made famous by Peter Sellers, and that there was nothing particularly original offered by this movie, its not terribly relevant that it isn't a scene by scene remake of any of the 60's classics.

Clearly, it was an effort by Sony/Columbia to reintroduce a rehashed idea to a new generation, rather than attempting to come up with something original on their own. Obviously, the effort was a failure, given that this film pulled in $82 million domestic against an $80 million production budget. It's rather unlikely we'll see Martin reprising the role in the near future. It wasn't exactly a box-office flop, but if the cast party was funded by bottom line profits, nobody ate anything better than a hot dog.

From my own standpoint, I doubt that it will receive my vote in the worst remake category this year simply by weight of the competition. Nonetheless, it isn't un-worthy of consideration. Kieran, while you are entitled to your appreciation of this film, I feel compelled to remind you that even Sony/Columbia gave up on it, postponing it's originally scheduled release in late summer 2005 and burying it as an early 2006 release, when studios generally showcase the efforts they aren't terribly proud of.

...And by the way, warmest welcome to the forum.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Kieran Thompson View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kieran Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 1:59am

HeadRAZZberry, I seriously must point out an error in your description of this film. It is not a remake of the 1963 original, it's a reboot of the Pink Panther franchise; Steve Martin said that himself in an interview I read in a magazine. So you have no right to label it as a remake.
Besides, I actually think it's very good, very funny, and a misunderstood film.

Response from Head RAZZberry: Sorry, but since its basic plot (a search for the missing Pink Panther diamond) is essentially the same as the original 1963 PINK PANTHER, this film is a remake. And while far worse films have come along since in 2006, this does qualify for consideration in our Worst Remake category. It's not clear at this point how many votes it may get, and whether it will end up a nominee, but it does qualify...

P.S. How was it "misunderstood"??  All of the Peter Sellers PANTHER films were hilarious to varying degrees, some of them gasping-for-air-from-laughing-so-loud funny. Steve Martin's Clouseau elicited barely a chuckle or two from me, or the audience with whom I watched it...

P.P.S. We are not alone in "misunderstanding" this film -- Here's a LINK to check out its movie-goer rating on IMDb (It got a 4.9 out of 10) and it's critics' rating on RT (Where it scored a lowly 22% Approval Rating)...

KIERAN: FEEL FREE to DEFEND YOUR POSITION. THAT's WHAT THIS FORUM IS FOR... 

jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 2:56am
Come on, you guys! This movie isn't that bad.
It is by no means great, or even very good, but it is definitely not Razzie worthy. This year has been full of so many bad movies, precious Razzie nominations can't be wasted on an okay movie.
The "comedy" Date Movie came out about the same time as this, and
believe me, Date Movie is 15 times worse!   

wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 2:36am
If I ever do get a script sold, I'm making sure there's a provision in my contract that Shawn Levy does not direct it under any circumstances; just looking at his dubious resume to date suggests strongly he'll always do exactly what the executives want and nothing more, which is not at all the way I intend to operate with my stories.  Why someone as talented as Steve would want to do so much these days with this guy is beyond me, unless maybe he feels he's accomplished all he wants in life, and is deliberately committing career suicide... 
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 6:09am
Just rented this movie and I hated it. Here are a few things I'll have to say right here. Steve Martin sounds really embarassing playing Inspector Closeau, or however you spell his last name, there are some elements that go beyond this PG rating, and Shawn Levy definitely was the wrong choice to direct this movie.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 3:01pm
No. Steve Martin was funny in the 70s.

He was funny in the Jerk

But then he became THE JERK in real life and the last funny picture he did
was DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID.

It's been downhill ever since...
fulglas82 View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote fulglas82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 2:26pm
Not even Roxanne?  Or All of Me?  Or even Planes, Trains and Automobiles ("THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!!!")? 
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 4:31am
In other words...there's no accounting for taste...

I don't think Steve Martin has done anything funny since KING TUT...
fulglas82 View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote fulglas82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 8:15am
I checked around, and most of Steve's fans seem to have enjoyed it despite the ridiculousness of it all.  I guess if you really like an actor/actress, you'll cut them an inordiante amount of slack. 
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 5:49am
22% at Rotten Tomatoes might be too high of a score in these quarters, and it appears that this movie outgunned Firewall at the box-office AND rottentomates (Firewall scored 17% so maybe we should be discussing it a little. Then again, Firewall finished behind Curious George at the box-office. We might be taking aim at the wrong movie.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
BooBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BooBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 9:57pm

Originally posted by JoeBacon

! I mean, we're talking SERIOUSLY of something that could actually SWEEP the RAZZIES!

No kidding. It no-doubt qualifies for the following categories (and more):

WORST PICTURE

WORST DIRECTOR - Shawn Levy

WORST ACTOR - Steve Martin

WORST ACTRESS - Beyonce Knowles

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR - Kevin Kline

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR - Jean Reno

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Emily Mortimer

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Kristin Chenoweth

WORST SCREEN COUPLE - Steve Martin & EITHER Jean Reno OR Beyonce Knowles

WORST SCREENPLAY - Len Blum & Steve Martin

WORST REMAKE OR SEQUEL

By the way, what in the holy hell is Clive Owen doing in this movie!?!? From great movies like SIN CITY and CLOSER to THIS!

-BooBerry

JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 11:10am
Not only that, this piece of crap could potentially get a record breaking
13 nominations! I mean, we're talking SERIOUSLY of something that could
actually SWEEP the RAZZIES!
BooBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BooBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 9:03am

Marv's right, this cinematic pile of trash is a serious contender for next year's Razzie Awards!

Wow! It's only Februrary and we've already got a film fit for next year's Worst Picture Raspberry!

- BooBerry

Marv View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Marv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 8:59am

Originally posted by JoeBacon

Marv, You forgot to add

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR--KEVIN KLINE, JEAN RENO, HENRY CZERNY,

Ah, but I did suggest Kevin Kline. But, you're right Jean Reno and Henry Czerny could also be serious contenders for Worst Supporting Actor in this waste of celluloid!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>