Another Out-of-Bounds Rom/Com?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Out-of-Bounds Rom/Com?!?!?
    Posted: June 29 2010 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Vits

Who told you those were rom-coms?
I think that's just his personal opinion of what genre those movies fall under.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

As for Queen Latifah's rom-coms, I think they are generally better than your average ones. I thought her performance in Last Holiday was great and Beauty Shop was pretty good for a spin-off of a series I never liked.
Who told you those were rom-coms?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 11:42am
And I'm sure the owners of the Nets were more than happy to go along with the movie for much needed PR.  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
DarkPhoenixSaga View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote DarkPhoenixSaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 10:50am
I think it's because Queen Latifah is from Jersey, and she may be a real life fan of the team.  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

And why the Nets, of all teams? Oh wait, is this supposed to be some kind of "fairy tale/underdog"  story?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 10:15pm
But Michael Moore already did that! Except his version was called "Capitalism: A Love Story!"
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 7:59pm
Well, I've heard Ridley Scott is making the "Monopoly" movie so...  
Julianstark View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Julianstark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 3:22pm
Coming in 2012... Coca-Cola: The Movie!  
For Your 2010 Razzie Consideration: The Bounty Hunter and Leap Year --
Check out my blog! Movies and Other Things
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 11:20am
Yeah, just wait a year or two, and we'll be seeing "product-promoting movies" become the new genre, maybe even replacing reboots and remakes!  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 3:54am
As for Queen Latifah's rom-coms, I think they are generally better than your average ones. I thought her performance in Last Holiday was great and Beauty Shop was pretty good for a spin-off of a series I never liked.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 9:50pm
My post above was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but just out of curiousity, I went to the New Jersey Nets website. Sure enough, this movie is being pimped and linked on their site everywhere you look. There are even merchandising tie-ins. This is possibly the most shameless case of making a full length film for the specific purpose of promoting a very specific "product" in film-making history.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 7:27pm
I think it's hard to argue that rom-coms are getting "suckier" each year. The thing about rom=coms is that it follows a formula that was started since mankind began. Rom-coms must end with a wedding. That's just the rule. So I have to ask how can you make a genre so traditional and make it "different"? It's kinda hard, if you ask me. That's why I'm not that hard on rom-coms. They follow a tradition that has been started when comedies and tragedies appeared in Greek plays. Changing the tradition is like changing the entire genre itself!
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 12:47pm
Every decade, Hollywood gets worse, and nothing is ever done to restore them to any of their former glory. And yes, I'd be happy to hear any reason besides "for the money" that Queen Latifah and other ill-reputed actors and actresses keep starring in bad movies.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 11:27am
Oh, I think you're onto something there, saturnwatcher! Hollywood has become so shameless that it's willing to make 90 minute long ads for sports teams!
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 9:27am
The New Jersey Nets are going to be playing in a new arena beginning next season, and if I am not mistaken, they also have a new owner. The suspicion here is that this film is essentially a season ticket drive for the team and they probably pumped some money into it. Not only is Hollywood evidently completely out of original ideas; now they are apparently in the business of making promotional videos for the highest bidder.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 1:20pm
Rom-Coms have already had a miserable year, and now we have two more bad ones in one week! 

Argument for a Worst Excuse for a Romantic Comedy?  No, we don't need to argue anymore!  

By the way, how many more rom-coms (which will almost certainly suck, of course) can we look forward to in 2010?  We haven't even gotten halfway through the year, and we have enough "excuses" to fill the category already!!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 11:35am
Are you seriously looking for any kind of answer besides "for the money"?  

Originally posted by GTAHater767

Why does Queen Latifah keep making bad movies?

And why the Nets, of all teams? Oh wait, is this supposed to be some kind of "fairy tale/underdog"  story?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>