Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 31st Annual RAZZIE® Award Nominees & "WINNERS" > SEX & THE CITY, TOO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Perhaps THIS Will Bling a Bell?!?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perhaps THIS Will Bling a Bell?!?!?!?
    Posted: May 26 2010 at 4:47pm
That all depends. With movies like "Valentine's Day", "Grown-Ups", "Expandables" and other movies starring "all-star" casts, I think it's safe to say there may very well be a Worst Ensemble Cast catagory in the Razzies' future. If so, this movie will be a prime target as well.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 5:03pm
None of the actresses in this should be nominated for a Razzie. They were good actresses on the show. I know it's not the same,but it's not fair to nominate them just because the movie isn't well done(the pre-release rating is 0%.It will change radically after the premiere,but it won't be over 59%).  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The RAZZIES® have never been about whether someone was "good" in some other project or context -- They are, like most showbiz-based awards, specifically about the nominee's work in the project(s) for which they are being considered. While the bulk of the vitriol in reviews for SATC2 has been aimed at writer/director Michael Patrick King, the four lead actresses have hardly been spared their fair share of criticism for joining King in returning once again to a well many find long since dry. At a minimum, I would predict that SATC2 will be a nominee for Worst Remake/Sequel, and probably has a shot in several other categories as well...a joint Worst Actress nod for the four leads among them. Guess we'll have to wait 'till the actual nominations are announced next January 24 to know for sure...  

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 5:41pm
Okay, what is all this "they are good actresses" debate everyone is pushing for? That means nothing. No actress gives only flawless performances in every movie she appears in -- They have to screw up sooner or later, and the fact they gave good performances in the past doesn't mean anything when they star in something Razzie-worthy. Just look at the past Razzie nods and "winners," many of whom had Oscar nods and/or wins before they got Razzed. So being "good actresses"as innoculation against being a Razzie target is nonsense ... anyone can be a Razzie target if they star in a sh*tty movie or give a sh*tty performance.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 6:40pm
I don't know about their other works,but they act the same way they did in the show,and the Emmy and Golden Globe noms. aren't handed out like free candy bars.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: To reiterate what has already been said repeatedly above (and elsewhere on this Forum): A film-maker's past credentials are not the be-all/end-all of their being considered for a RAZZIE® nomination. As for the specific "honors" you cite as evidence of these four actresses' merits, I find it amusing that you've chosen to focus on two of the most industry-maligned competitions -- The Emmys have so many categories it's surprising they don't honor Best Donuts at the Craft Services Table, and The Golden Globes, voted on by less than 90 individuals (who have in the past been accused of being swayed by "free candy bars") are secretly an industry joke, largely enjoyed by insiders as the one awards night where attendees get rip-roaring drunk during the proceedings, since one of their corporate sponsors is a champagne company...  

kelemenmarc View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote kelemenmarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 4:23am
Well, i think when somebody will be a Razzie nominee and before he/she won an Oscar or Emmy, Golden-Globe, that's shame. I dont wanna see Cynthia Nixon as Razzie nominee.
FYC:
Worst Movie: The Bounty Hunter
Worst Actor: Johnny Depp (Alice in Wonderland / The Tourist)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 5:10am
Even if these actresses did well on TV shows, movies are another animal. They can be playing different characters, and the pacing of a movie and its storytelling are different than that of a TV show. All this will affect the actresses' performance. 

In the end, it really doesn't matter if they get Razzie nods or not -- it's not like some big black eye on their career. Halle Berry and Sandra Bullock (both Oscar winners) "won" Razzie Awards, and they didn't fall off the face of the Earth. 

Actually, if you notice, actors' careers usually go to s*** after they win Oscars, not Razzies -- Just ask Cuba Gooding Jr.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 1:03pm
I know is different to act in a movie than in a TV show,but since they act the same way they did in the show,it would be more logical to assume their performances won't be bad.

I know they're able to give bad performances in other movies playing different characters.After All,Sarah Jessica Parker was nominated for a Razzie for DID YOU HEAR ABOUT "THE MORGANS"?,and Kim Cattrall for THE BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 1:53pm
And then there's the other X factors: the director and the script! If they suck, it doesn't matter what the performances were like on the TV show ... and from what I've read, the director and the script do indeed suck!
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 2:37pm
It is really difficult for me to weigh in on this discussion because: 

1. I never watched a single episode of the show, so I have no basis for comparison, and... 

2. I'm hoping beyond hope that this movie fades into obsurity without any attention from the Razzies. 

If it does earn nominations, I will have to see it at some point. That means I'll probably have to watch a few episodes of the series as well to get some context. Which all sounds like the 8th circle of hell.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 3:57pm
"I'm hoping beyond hope that this movie fades into obsurity without any attention from the Razzies." -- We can only hope, so even more attention is not given to this movie.
janmacy View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote janmacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 5:58pm
I'm very thankful I didn't read the reviews before seeing Sex and The City 2.  I thoroughly enjoyed it! Then I am a girl,  and it was the perfect fantasy movie for these times!  YOU GO GIRLS!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 9:57pm
Welcome to the board Jan. However, I must sadly take strong issue with the very first post you have made here. I did not do a comprehensive tally of the female critics who's work is posted at RT. However, I suspect that the opinions of the first 20 I came across as pretty representative. Of those 20,  3 were positive and 17 were negative (most strongly so). That is a 15% positive rating, which precisely mirrors the overall RT rating for the movie.  

Originally posted by janmacy

I'm very thankful I didn't read the reviews before seeing Sex and The City 2.  I thoroughly enjoyed it! Then I am a girl,  and it was the perfect fantasy movie for these times!  YOU GO GIRLS!
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 10:10pm
Curiosity got the best of me, so I went back and tallied all of the reviews for SITC 2 that were written by female critics. Overall, 7 were positive, 36 were negative, for a score of slightly over 16% -- just a sneeze higher than the overall score of 15%. 

Incidentally, female critcs accounted for approximately 1/3 of the total input. Bottomline: Women will almost certainly enjoy this movie more than men, particularly if they were fans of the series to start with. However, among people who review movies for a living, it isn't evident that women liked this movie any better than men...and not many of either sex liked it at all. 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 9:30am
Well, there's no doubt female movie goers will enjoy this movie more than men, seeing as how that is the movie's target audience. I guess female critics just happen to have more common sense! 
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 10:44am
Fantasy movie? Are you sure?  

It was the perfect fantasy movie for these times!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 11:30am
Women being able to easily afford anything they want, and have the perfect marriage with the man of their dreams ... sounds like the perfect chick fantasy movie to me!  

It was the perfect fantasy movie for these times!
[/QUOTE]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>