Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 31st Annual RAZZIE® Award Nominees & "WINNERS" > THE EXPENDABLES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

EXPENDABLES TRIVIA QUESTION ANSWER...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EXPENDABLES TRIVIA QUESTION ANSWER...
    Posted: July 29 2010 at 8:59pm
Please, do go on. The death of one man outweighing the deaths of 3,000 people and the demolishing of two major American landmarks seems like a curious statement to me.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 9:07pm
But Stone's 9/11 film is not about the disaster, but the hope and survival of two heroes.  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Well, America did have to live through all of that again, on 9/11. Which, Oliver Stone also made a movie about! The man does love making movies about the worst moments in America's history. I wouldn't be surprised if he'll follow up "Wall Street 2" with a movie about the BP oil spill.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 9:08pm
I think you have to bear in mind that in 1963, televison was still in it's infancy, and we hadn't been desensitized to tragedy to the same extent...certainly no one had ever witnessed a murder on live television before. The JFK assassination was something of a shocking bolt out of the blue to most of the American public, whereas 9-11, while shocking and terrible, wasn't close to being as disorienting because I think by that point, we all kind of had some exposure to similar events.  

To be sure, there were a lot of people around for whom WWII was fresh in their memory, but even an event on that scale hadn't come into American living rooms every night, whereas by 2001, people had seen war and terrorist events and all sorts of other maladies, with some regularity, almost every day.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 9:25pm
If I may expand on the point one step further: Back in those days, we didn't have the hostile political divsions that are so common now. It is almost sad to speculate that these days, if someone assassinated the President (whoever it might be) half the country would likely celebrate it. Back then, you might not agree with the policies of the guy in the White House, but he was THE PRESIDENT, regardless.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 10:04pm
Why are the political devisions so much deeper these days anyway?
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 11:05pm
I blame the Fox Noise Network, and other such media outlets, who add fuel to the fears of American citizens, thus causing divides over which political party best represents their beliefs. That, and given the power billion dollar companies now have, CEOs are the ones who are really pulling the strings. You didn't have these things 40 or 50 years ago.  

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 10:27am
I've wondered a lot how we got from where we were to where we are, with the political divisions so much deeper these days ...

Both sides probably deserve blame. But a rather famous interview with John Wayne comes to mind.  Wayne was extremely conservative politically, and someone asked him shortly after JFK's election what he thought of the new President. I can't quote him exactly, but it was something very close to this: "I didn't vote for him, but he is my President and I hope he does well." Fast forward just under half a century and we have Rush Limbaugh saying, after the election of Obama, "I hope he fails." That, in a nutshell, is where we were...and where we are.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 1:22pm
I heard in Bowling for Columbine that news-originated fear is why America is so much more violent. But... the news can't make money or get ratings anymore unless they scare people into submission. As for multi-Giga-dollar companies, do they have new powers because political bases weren't willing to sell themselves out back in the 1960s?  
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 10:03pm
It has been said that most people are fans of NASCAR and other types of auto racing not because they enjoy the racing, but to watch the accidents. I am inclined to think that news agencies have latched on to that philosophy to some degree, and in many cases they gauge the quality of the story not so much by whether they are reporting the facts, but giving their viewers the most gore. Maybe to some degree, it is because there is sort of a race to the bottom driven by ratings. Back in 1963, all of the news came from the 3 major networks. These days you have the networks, all the cable news outlets and other cable channels with their own news divisions, the internet and radio is still around as well. So to some degree, news reporting has become about sensation and not facts.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 10:15pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Not to join the "Conspiracy Buff" crowd, but I have always found it significant that from his perch in the School Book Depository, Oswald had a direct, head-on shot at Kennedy's limo before it turned that last corner -- A shot not obscured by any trees or obstacles. If he did indeed act alone, why did he wait until he had to take a far more difficult, less-likely-to-succeed shot? Not necessarily proof of anything, but an interesting paradox...  

True...but I guess one might as well ask why he did it at all...Not that a lot of people haven't...and they've mostly come up with preposterous answers. Based upon remarks you made earlier, you've obviously studied the case very carefully, as have I. I've swung back and forth on the conspiracy matter several times, particularly when the NAS study originally seemed to find that open microphone indicating an unaccounted for "shot" noise. That was eventually discredited. 

But for all the moments I've had my doubts, the old scientific principle of Occam's razor seems to apply to this case fairly well, and provide the simplest and best answer: One pathetic loser, acting alone, changed history... 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 8:26am
Not to sound like a conspiracy nut, too, but I find it hard to believe a single, ordinary man would be able to kill the most powerful man in the world all by himself without some help (take note: three shots fired, cuasing seven bullet wounds in two men?). It's as hard to believe as we're meant to believe that the Twin Towers were built to cave into themselves as if they were being held up by well-balanced toothpicks, as a result of a 90 to 110 minute long fire. 

There's really no easy answers, just more questions.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 9:54pm
As far as we are drifting off subject here, sometimes one guy who just happens to be in the right place at the right time can impact history for better or, in this case, vastly worse. Yes, things really can work out that way. As far as the falling of the twin towers, take a jet fully loaded with fuel and crash it into a building; you'll at least briefly get temperatures reaching levels you'd normally only find inside stars. Civilization is a much more fragile gift than we'd like to believe sometimes. As if natural disasters weren't enough to worry about, think how much damage one for a few guys could do tomorrow if they massively crashed the worldwide web for an extended period of time. It could literally bring economic activity across the planet to a standstill.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 9:58am
Well, it really just comes down to what you believe in. Me, I personally don't believe one little nobody is going single-handedly take out the most powerful man in the world without help from someone else, but after 40 or 50 years of people telling you otherwise, I guess you'll agree with them after a while. Likewise, it was proven jet fuel doesn't get THAT hot, and there have been cases of skyscrapers being on fire for over 24 hours and yet they were still left standing. I'm not saying saturnwatcher is wrong in his opinion, I'm just not totally convinced.

Now...shall we go back to bashing this movie?
Julianstark View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Julianstark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 10:51am
Since we're sort of on the topic of Oliver Stone, does anyone see Razzie potential for Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps? To me it looks pretty awful...
For Your 2010 Razzie Consideration: The Bounty Hunter and Leap Year --
Check out my blog! Movies and Other Things
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 11:03am
As I said, it's like Stone waits for something bad to happen to America, and then he goes out and films a movie about it. JFK, 9/11, now the greed of Wall Street. Again, I'm so sick and tired of these "20+ years later" sequels, it screams "We're out of ideas, so let's just do a sequel to a movie that was popular back in the 80s and hope that people want to see it". 

I'm willing to bet money that Stone's next picture will be about the BP oil spill.  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 12:31pm
I say Money Never Sleeps is likely to be RAZZIE-tagged at the end of this summer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>