Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Disagree w/Any Past RAZZIES®??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Did Jim Carrey really deserve to be nominated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mraspiringactor View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mraspiringactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Jim Carrey really deserve to be nominated?
    Posted: July 29 2010 at 8:31am
Let me explain why I mentioned Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: you said Carrey was a bad actor, yet he was actually acclaimed for those 2 roles, so I was just curious what your thoughts on those performances were.
Kevin Higgins.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 5:25pm
Conclusion: Carrey is a hit-or-miss actor, and his three "hits" of 1994 were dumb luck that may never be repeated...  

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 3:30pm
The RAZZIES took down How The Grinch Stole Christmas in the Worst of 2000 Awards (more like Penalties, if you ask me). They nominated him for The Number 23 in the Worst of 2007. Among another bad movie or two, my classmates ate them up because Jim Carrey starred in them. I was among maybe 30 people who didn't particularly like either of them. Can any conclusions be drawn?
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 2:38pm
Having had the unique and wonderful opportunity to become acquainted with Andy Kaufman, I didn't find anything compelling about Carrey's portrayal of him in Man on the Moon -- an okay, but altogether forgetable, movie about a very unforgetable human being.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
TaRaN-RoD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote TaRaN-RoD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 12:03pm
LOL -- I didn't think about it... You're right... 

Sorry for my notice on Man on the Moon... xD  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Originally posted by Mraspiringactor

Umm wait a minute even if you did think he should've been nominated for his '94 films but what about his work in Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind both of which he got acclaim for? How do you explain those movies?
No, those movies are fine, but those aren't the movies he got nods for back in '94, and I thought that was the year we're talking about.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 11:36am
No, as movies Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind are fine-- but those aren't the movies he got nods for back in '94, and I thought that was the year we were talking about.  

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
TaRaN-RoD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote TaRaN-RoD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 9:24pm
He was also acclaimed for Man on the Moon for which he won a Golden Globe... but I didn't find the movie so good and Jim Carrey wasn't so good in it....
Mraspiringactor View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mraspiringactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 8:46pm
Umm, wait a minute -- even if you did think Jim Carrey should've been nominated for his '94 films, what about his work in Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (both of which he got acclaim for)? How do you explain those movies?  
Kevin Higgins.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 4:45pm
Yeah, I know. Give it another 5 years and we'll see if these same forum members are still defending these movies -- or finally agreeing with the rest of us. 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 1:59pm
Again, Burn, we both know that time changes perspective in significant ways. As I noted above, a lot of things that looked good when I was 17 tend to lose their luster over the years.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 1:56pm
Maybe...take my word for it...there were a LOT of things that I thought were cool when I was 17 that look seriously lame now. So I wouldn't bet the rent on that one.  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 11:57am
Why is it always our teenaged forum members who are quick to defend the movies listed here??  

TaRaN-RoD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote TaRaN-RoD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 7:02am
I'm 17 years old... And I'm pretty sure that in 30 years, I will still enjoy Jim Carrey's and Stallone's work, dude...  

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

[Apart from the fact that he isn't funny and can't act, I suppose he is okay. I'm not sure how old you are; my guess is that you are fairly young. I offer that observation on the basis of the fact that in a recent listing of what you consider to be the 8 greatest actors, only Stallone trancends one decade. Now, there is nothing wrong with being young. I've reached that point where I sometimes wish I could be again.LOL But, age brings one gift...the gift of broad perspectives. I have more to compare Jim Carrey to as a comedian and a comic actor. Copy this off, and store it away somewhere for, say 30 years. In that time, watch a lot of other comic actors, new and from past times, and objectively view how Jim Carrey stacks up. I'm guessing that your enthusiasm for him will have dwindled considerably by then.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 3:42pm
I guess after becoming a celebrity by starring in three movies, where he played three of the most annoying characters possible ... that was too much for Razzie voters. But hey, no harm, no foul, he's still making money, proving once again that Razzies don't ruin your career ... unlike the Oscars could.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by TaRaN-RoD

Personally, I don't think he deserved to be nominated... I think he rocks as a comic actor! But Razzies Memeber should have their reasons, which I want to read!
Apart from the fact that he isn't funny and can't act, I suppose he is okay. I'm not sure how old you are; my guess is that you are fairly young. I offer that observation on the basis of the fact that in a recent listing of what you consider to be the 8 greatest actors, only Stallone trancends one decade. Now, there is nothing wrong with being young. I've reached that point where I sometimes wish I could be again.LOL But, age brings one gift...the gift of broad perspectives. I have more to compare Jim Carrey to as a comedian and a comic actor. Copy this off, and store it away somewhere for, say 30 years. In that time, watch a lot of other comic actors, new and from past times, and objectively view how Jim Carrey stacks up. I'm guessing that your enthusiasm for him will have dwindled considerably by then.
TaRaN-RoD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote TaRaN-RoD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 6:57am
Personally, I don't think he deserved to be nominated... I think he rocks as a comic actor! But Razzies Memeber should have their reasons, which I want to read!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>