Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Discussion & Info on ATLAS SHRUGGED: PART I
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

FORUM Discussion of ATLAS SHRUGGED: PART ONE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FORUM Discussion of ATLAS SHRUGGED: PART ONE
    Posted: April 27 2011 at 1:30pm
Actually, I don't know a lot Scientology, but maybe it's not a cult.

What I do know is that NOBODY wants another BATTLEFIELD EARTH!  
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 2:53pm
There's a story that when The Fountainhead was being turned into a movie, Rand flew into a fit when she learned the film-makers planned to abridge the six-minute speech. Also, Ayn's forward to Atlas Shrugged states that she's the only author in history to write about a new idea. As you can all tell, Ayn had a massive ego. Also, she idolized a child killer and based several of her characters on him. 
Here's a LINK: 

http://www.michaelprescott.net/hickman.htm  

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Ayn Rand pretty much lived her life (and wrote her books) based on the credo that one should never say in one sentence what can be stretched out to 50 or 60 pages. One can understand why all those tedious books from the Victorian era (that English teachers love) are so long and tedious -- the authors got paid by the word, and their works were serialized originally in the contemporary publications. Ayn Rand, on the other hand, was just a long-winded blowhard who really didn't have anything relevant, or even logical to say. But that didn't stop her from taking 1200 pages per book to spew her nonsense... 

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 6:15pm
I take issue with one point: I think L. Ron Hubbard knew he was a charlatan. Ayn Rand actually believed the nonsense she espoused. So there is a difference...I can sort of forgive someone who just believes something stupid. I don't have nearly as much tolerance for someone who sells nutty ideas knowing full well that they are nutty ideas...  

Originally posted by Michaels

Originally posted by Vits

So...it's like L. Ron Hubbard all over again?
Kind in mind, Hubbard's work was more like long-winded companion pieces to his crazy, made up religion. Hubbard's own son has admitted that Hubbard would claim that the real money isn't in writing books, it's in creating and running your own religion.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 6:42pm

So, considering that this movie has been butchered by critics and is destined to be a box-office disaster even with an incredibly modest budget, this obviously has to be considered for Worst Picture. Some of the cast might also receive consideration. What about other possibilities?

Worst Sequel, Prequel or Remake? It is a prequel after a fashion, since two more installments were originally planned. The fact that they almost certainly won't get made could be viewed as splitting hairs. I could also make a case for this as worst remake. As noted above, The Fountainhead was made into a movie back in the 40's. Granted, this isn't a direct remake, but since Rand's career was built upon rewriting the same book several times anyway, one could reasonably argue that it is effectively the same movie also. Wink

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 7:03pm
I guess it all depends on whether Razzie voters get around to actually seeing this movie.  

So, considering that this movie has been butchered by critics and is destined to be a box-office disaster even with an incredibly modest budget, this obviously has to be considered for Worst Picture. Some of the cast might also receive consideration. What about other possibilities?
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 6:18am
I completely disagree. I am a voting Razzie-member living in Europe and will probably not find a copy of this movie in time for voting. Of all the categories, I at least hope that the titles on the Worst Picture-shortlist will be widely available...    

So, considering that this movie has been butchered by critics and is destined to be a box-office disaster even with an incredibly modest budget, this obviously has to be considered for Worst Picture.

crewman View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote crewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 3:01am
Just out of curiuosity, won't it be difficult for a lot of Razzie-voters to find a copy and see this film before voting begins. I mean it is already in limited realease and there are no real big names attached. I don't want to be pesemistic or anything but i doubt that my video rental place will have a copy when it's released on DVD
aluk1986 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote aluk1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 3:26am
It will be interesting to see how well they stuck to the plot of the book. For anyone who saw the fountainhead they will be aware that the book and movie were quite a bit different; especially in the way the characters were portayed. I wasn't a huge fan of either and most of Ayn Rand's work is mediocre.
logbook loans
Just my 0.02c :P

Don't find fault, find a remedy.
Logbook Loans
Henry Ford
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2011 at 3:49pm
It probably won't be that hard to find a DVD copy of this. Unless Blockbuster goes out of business before January 2012 (not entirely impossible) there should be any number of un-rented copies collecting dust on their shelves by then.  I imagine a similar situation will prevail at most rental outlets.  

Originally posted by crewman

Just out of curiuosity, won't it be difficult for a lot of Razzie-voters to find a copy and see this film before voting begins. I mean it is already in limited realease and there are no real big names attached. I don't want to be pesemistic or anything but i doubt that my video rental place will have a copy when it's released on DVD.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2011 at 5:39pm
January 2012?! That's the most generous expiration date anyone has given that company!  

Unless Blockbuster goes out of business before January 2012 (not entirelyimpossible) ...
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2011 at 7:11pm
There are no shortage of nuts that are claiming that the world is going to end on May 21 anyway. But I am willing to make them a simple wager. I've got a thousand bucks that says it won't. If they win, I'll give them the money. If I win, they have to put up just as many billboards that say, "Dear Jesus, you have stood me up for the last time."
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2011 at 9:38pm
That's a bad bet, because either way, you lose: 

1. You either just lost a thousand dollars, or... 

2. The billboard people can't collect, because the world will have come to an end! 

But I like your Jesus billboard idea. Another good slogan would be Jesus saying "Don't bother holding your breath for my return, I'm going to take awhile."  

There are no shortage of nuts that are claiming that the world is going to end on May 21 anyway. But I am willing to make them a simple wager. I've got a thousand bucks that says it won't. If they win, I'll give them the money. If I win, they have to put up just as many billboards that say, "Dear Jesus, you have stood me up for the last time."
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2011 at 11:51pm
If you didn't think Atlas Shagged Part I wasn't bad enough, well...

pprovazky View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote pprovazky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2011 at 5:48am
Of course and not only, they will go on strike which is becoming a fashion.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2011 at 10:53am
Originally posted by JoeBacon

If you didn't think Atlas Shagged Part I wasn't bad enough, well...

LOL
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2011 at 11:06am
So when it comes to the title "Atals Shrugged": By "shrugged", did they mean at the box office?!?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>