Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Talk Amongst Yourselves
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

HAVE the RAZZIES® Really Made a Difference?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HAVE the RAZZIES® Really Made a Difference?!?!?
    Posted: September 25 2014 at 10:28pm
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 9:25pm
Thanks, I'm done too and I feel like we've both made our points. Lets both agree to have our opinions and respect them!

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 9:06pm
Okay fine Jacob, I'm done arguing.
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 5:18pm
And I'm not defending The Postman, but when you put it up against Batman and Robin or even Speed 2: Cruise Control in any category it becomes naturally clear which was worse and more Razzie-worthy.
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 5:15pm
Actually, now that I really think about it the time Costner has given a performance which could actually be considered the very worst of the year was in Man of Steel, and we completely snubbed that turkey! RIIIIGHT, The Lone Ranger was worse made on a storytelling level and technically. Okaaaaaaayyy, then.

Seriously though, the shaky-cam in Man of Steel deserved an honorary special razzie of some kind for how inexcusably atrocious it was.

Movie 43 was pretty freaking terrible, but still was no where near as infamous or as awful and insulting as After Earth, the not-even-nominated Die Hard 5, Stephanie Meyer's The Host, or my personal pick, Grown Ups 2.
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 4:45pm
Also Vits, sure Tom Cruise didn't do great, but he did good considering the weak script he was given. Admit it, its obvious that his nomination wasn't at all for acting quality it was for the Scientology controversy (even South Park made fun of it and him in the episode "Trapped in the Closet") and his hilariously WTF couch-jumping antics.
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 4:40pm
If those Fahrenheit 9/11 awards show "balance" than you and I have completely different definitions of "taking the Razzies seriously!"
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 4:38pm
I LOVED Waterworld and think its one of the most underrated movies ever. It was Mad Max at sea basically, and I thought it was intelligently made and had was solidly scripted and acted.

Stallone is like John Wayne- he's an icon. He always, to some extant plays himself just like the duke did and I have no problem w/ that.

About Fahrenheit 9/11, you just proved conclusively everything Cinema Snob said to be true. George Bush no more deserved that Razzie than Michael Moore himself did for every "DOCUMENTARY" he's ever done. Its the political bias/tabloid mentality that sickens me. Not to defend the Bush Administration but they were great "actors" since people did buy their lies at first. None of those awards were given to real actors. Even Brittany Spears isn't a real actor, she's a f**king pop star!!! Its the same reason I didn't vote for Kim Kardashian last year, she's a tabloid celebrity, not a real actress. I voted for Lindsay Lohan instead, who is also a tabloid celebrity- BUT also a real actress.

Mommie Dearest portrayed child abuse effectively and disturbingly. If you, for some insane reason, actually think it was the years Worst movie let alone the ENTIRE FREAKING DECADES Worst then I can't help you.

Costner was never the year's worst, as bland as he can be. I actually loved his performances in JFK, The Untouchables, 3000 Miles to Graceland, and yes even Waterworld. The only reason he won so many awards is, as I said above, everyone was pissed at his Dances with Wolves movie beating out Goodfellas for the Oscar's Best Picture.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 7:26am
I think it was proven last year that there are people in this Award Committee that do take the Razzies seriously. They've always existed, we award truly the worst of cinema and that's what I'm all about. Yeah we can have a bit of humor and seriousness too. There has to be a balance. I still can't forgive Cinema Snob because he was more insulting than helpful.

As for the Fahrenheit 9/11 awards, those are highly deserved. Why? Well think of it this way. Acting is the great art of lying. That's what Actors do.. they lie about who they really are behind a character in a script. People like George W. Bush are terrible liars

Mommie Dearest didn't even try to accurately portray Child Abuse or how the victims of that abuse deal with it. In fact, the tirades and fiascos of the film come out of nowhere with no build up at all. The movie is mainly like a Dementor, it sucks out all of the happiness and feeling a person has and replaces it with nothing. Mommie Dearest is not a feeling film, it's a sick and disturbing picture. Why do people laugh at it? I don't know, Maybe it's a defense mechanism. All I know is that it's a terrible movie and deserves all five Razzie Wins.

I don't see how awarding Stallone and Costner is considered a TMZ thing to do. It was the right thing to do. Costner is a pretty bland actor while Stallone can't get out of his comfort zone of "Cool action hero" even when the script asks him to.    
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 7:04am
1) I asked that question a long time ago. HeadRAZZ said something about the essence of the Razzies being funny, which is why some of the Worst Couple nominees were objects.
2) Cruise's performance was weak. Not bad enough to take the movie out of my Best Movies list, but still. Most of Stallone's have been very bad. And he barely even tries to write good scripts because he thinks action movies don't need them. I haven't seen all of Costner's movies, but I loathed WATERWORLD and THE BODYGUARD. I didn't loath 3000 MILES TO GRACELAND and WYATT EARP, but I didn't like them either.
3) No offense to GTA, but he's just one person. Do we have to go over the majority issue again?
Originally posted by JacobD

since Hollywood is too narcisstic to do it themselves like the Oscars (for the best in cinema) we're all there is, so why shouldn't we take ourselves seriously?!?!\

Was Tom Cruise's performance in War of the Worlds really deserving of a razzie nomination. No way! But his tabloid-jumping antics were. Did Sly Stallone deserve any of his Razzies? NO f**kING WAY, we were just mad at Rocky for having won Best Picture, and for making consistently entertaining and successful action movies for so long while being such a diva off camera!!! For my money, he made for lasting and entertaining movies than f**king FELLINI ever did. At least they hold up over time!! Well, most of them anyway. Did Kevin Costner seriously deserve any of those razzies in the '90s?! No, we just gave them to him because we were mad at him for his diva-esque behavior (like Sylvester Stallone) and especially for how Dances with Wolves beat Goodfellas for the Best Picture Oscar. In fact, exactly like Sylvester Stallone!!!! Let's be real here, he didn't even deserve it for the f**king Postman movie, which was not even in the same league of audience-insulting stupidity as Batman and Robin or even Speed 2: Cruise Control!!!!!!!!!

Also, GTAHater767 himself actually admitted before to not seeing most of the Razzie nominees and just judging how worthy they were based off of the film's RT score, so looks like Cinema Snob caught us red-handed!

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 9:29pm
Sorry, but those Fahrenheit 9/11 awards and all those Costner/Stallone awards are the very definition of "TMZ" in all its bottom-of-the-barrel tabloid soullessness.

Mommie Dearest was meant to be taken seriously and it worked for all the reasons the Cinema Snob said. He made plenty of excellent arguments. The movie knew that child abuse was sick and was never meant to be laughed at nor should it have been. Not even that disturbing-as-sh*t wire hanger scene!

The only (or at least, the FIRST) people who took it as a joke were the Razzies themselves, and that is an inexcusable atrocity that's no laughing matter in itself.

I just want us to accept these problems, learn from them, and move on.

And YES, I know that those 2 Oscar voters refused to watch 12 Years a Slave because they were too chickensh*t to deal with the sins of our nation's past. What they did was wrong too, and should not be an example, let alone an excuse for how us Razzie voters act.

Also, what The Departed and The Last Emperor are to the Oscars, The Last Airbender and Freddy Got Fingered are to the Razzies. They demonstrate just about the only time that the Best/Worst Picture award actually went to the #1 Best/Worst Picture of the year, no comparison! You're right that no one can recognize EVERY single bad movie in the world, but our fellow voters can at least not treat these awards like they're a complete joke and take them seriously, as we (and the Oscars) did w/ those years of 2010 and 2001.

Sorry Mariah Carey, Glitter sucked but that hospital scene in Freddy Got Fingered is deserving of every Razzie it won, and then some.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 8:51pm
in 1981, I wasn't even born yet. So yeah if you think Mommie Dearest didn't deserve Razzies (which it did, doesn't matter how many times a person laughs at the wire hanger scene) I'm not part of that. It wasn't a mistake to give The Last Airbender Worst Picture of the year.. why? Because it's f**king terrible. There is no defending more than half of the movies we choose to nominate and/or give awards too. We can't razz every single bad movie in this world. We just can't.. we're not that powerful.

Also we're not TMZ. We don't do what we do for attention. That is Cinema Snob's assumption with no real evidence. If he actually made proper arguments and debates about his position on the Razzies, then I would listen. But he just acts like a man child and insults us for picking on a movie that's considered a masterpiece. When in reality, Mommie Dearest is a disturbing film that for some reason people laugh at. Child Abuse is a joke in this movie? That is incredibly sick to me.

Jacob, if you want to agree with Cinema Snob I guess I can't stop you. But at the same time don't judge or condemn an entire community on one or two people's mistakes. I know there are people who for some reason decide not to watch a movie that's been nominated for awards and just vote blindly (2 Oscar Voters did that recently). However not everybody in the Razzies go into voting so blindly. Have you read my reviews? DO you know how many awful movies I've had to watch this year? Does that not count for anything?
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 5:21pm
Also, GTAHater767 himself actually admitted before to not seeing most of the Razzie nominees and just judging how worthy they were based off of the film's RT score, so looks like Cinema Snob caught us red-handed!
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 5:17pm
Its not a lie at all, moviecritic1994. He was completely right when he said Mommie Dearest was awarded not because it was deserving but because it would be funny and the popular thing to do!! Same w/ all those Fahrenheit 9/11 razzies for George Bush, Donald Rumsfeld, and f**king Britney Spears (really, Crossroads wasn't enough guys?) which perfectly prove his point that too often the razzies aren't taken seriously by its voting members.

And Mommie Dearest did not deserve ANY razzie nominations, let alone Worst Picture of the Decade!!! Worse than The Garbage Pail Kids Movie, Inchon, or Superman 4: The Quest for Peace?!?!!?!?!?!!?!? WERE YOU PEOPLE f**kING HIGH OR SOMETHING!?!!?!?!!?!?!!?!?

OWN IT, Moviecritic1994, he told the truth as it annoyingly is. Just accept it and take it upon yourself as I have to try and fix these awards by not treating them like a complete tabloid joke as was unfortunately, obviously the case w/ Mommie Dearest and many other movies throughout the years.   

I hate to break it to you, and not to sound defensive of ANY of these movies, but the harsh reality is that I Know Who Killed Me, The Lonely Lady, Can't Stop the Music, and yes, of course Mommie Dearest, were far from the WORST of cinema. There is absolutely no defending any of Mommie Dearest nominations in any circumstance. Just learn from the mistakes we made w/ that movie and don't ignorantly repeat them in the future. Namely, don't give awards to performances or movies just because its "funny and the popular thing to do!"

Case in point: Was Tom Cruise's performance in War of the Worlds really deserving of a razzie nomination. No way! But his tabloid-jumping antics were. Did Sly Stallone deserve any of his Razzies? NO f**kING WAY, we were just mad at Rocky for having won Best Picture, and for making consistently entertaining and successful action movies for so long while being such a diva off camera!!! For my money, he made for lasting and entertaining movies than f**king FELLINI ever did. At least they hold up over time!! Well, most of them anyway. Did Kevin Costner seriously deserve any of those razzies in the '90s?! No, we just gave them to him because we were mad at him for his diva-esque behavior (like Sylvester Stallone) and especially for how Dances with Wolves beat Goodfellas for the Best Picture Oscar. In fact, exactly like Sylvester Stallone!!!! Let's be real here, he didn't even deserve it for the f**king Postman movie, which was not even in the same league of audience-insulting stupidity as Batman and Robin or even Speed 2: Cruise Control!!!!!!!!!

Here's another example: like I said above multiple times, George Bush, Donald Rumsfeld, and everyone in Fahrenheit 9/11 weren't even acting even acting in that "documentary" so they shouldn't have been eligible to begin with, let alone won anything!!!!! Instead we let our political biases cloud our judgment and voted for them exactly for what the Cinema Snob rightfully called us out for doing.

Voting for someone or a movie not because of it being in any way deserving BUT BECAUSE ITS (according to the Razzie members own immature sense of humor) "FUNNY" AND THE "POPULAR THING TO DO!!!!!!!!!

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 12:01pm
But not all of the voters are like that, in fact I don't know many voters that don't see at the very least the five Worst Picture nominees every year. HIs way of thinking about the Razzies is very narrow minded, not to mention a straight out lie.

Again, you guys know how many horrible movies I've seen this year right? That Mommie Dearest review is one of the factors that led me to write the article "A Thankless Job".
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 11:36am
There are times when I feel that The Snob may have a point about the voters voting for something they haven't seen. The biggest example of this is Paris Hilton in Repo! The Genetic Opera. Repo! was an awful movie, but Hilton was one of the less awful things about it. I also think that James Franco's nomination for Your Highness might be an example of this.

Side-note: I don't watch the main Cinema Snob show, but I do watch those Midnight Screenings videos he does with his friends. Those are f*cking funny, especially the one where they lose their minds over The Oogieloves.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>