Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Forum DISCUSSION & Add'l INFO on JUDY MOODY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Forum DISCUSSION of JUDY MOODY: BUMMER of a MOVIE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum DISCUSSION of JUDY MOODY: BUMMER of a MOVIE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum DISCUSSION of JUDY MOODY: BUMMER of a MOVIE
    Posted: June 08 2011 at 9:57am
HERE's WHERE YOU GET to SCREAM -- VENTING YER OBJECTIONS to 2011's LOUDEST, PERHAPS MOST INDEFENSIBLE KIDS' MOVIE: JUDY MOODY...  

AND HERE's the LINK to CHECK OUT the OFFICIAL RAZZIE® TAKE on the FILM...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 10:57am

I knew that this was going to be bad....

BlackRose View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote BlackRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 11:05am
As a parent of a very young girl, I have no intention of taking my child to see this tripe -- Just as I have judiciously avoided exposing her to the source toys from that other insidious "prepubescent chick flick," Bratz...  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: FYI -- We actually nominated BRATZ for multiple dis-honors in 2007, including Worst Picture (LINK)... 

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 11:25am
I don't know guys. I mean, yeah, it seems like it'll be an unfunny movie. But I didn't get the feeling it would set a bad example. JUDY MOODY just seems to want a fun summer, and it's not like she'll whine if she doesn't get what she wants...like in most movies of this kind.  
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 9:09pm

This is the fifth family film to hit Razzie standards in 2011.  First, there was 'Gnomeo and Juliet', the overpromoted Shakespeare/Toy Story ripoff; then we had 'Mars Needs Moms', the Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius ripoff that bombed at the box office; next came 'Hop', the disgusting Easter movie; followed by 'Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil', the sequel to an animated film most of us didn't like; and now we have this turkey.  The worse news is that later this year, we have to deal with more potential family film disasters: 'Mr. Popper's Penguins', 'Monte Carlo', 'Zookeeper', 'Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World', and 'Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked'.  

This influx may raise demand to bring back the Razzie category, 'Worst Excuse for Family Entertainment'.

Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 10:54pm
If it's as screamy as it says it is, then the cinemas better provide the poor souls who go to see this with ear plugs -- otherwise the entire theater will end up sounding like a medieval torture chamber.
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 12:50pm

I would personally also add The Smurfs to the list of "potential family film disasters" for 2011, but maybe that's just me...   

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

The worse news is that later this year, we have to deal with more potential family film disasters: 'Mr. Popper's Penguins', 'Monte Carlo', 'Zookeeper', 'Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World', and 'Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked'.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 6:40pm
R.T. gives it 17%: "Though it may entertain some very young viewers, it's likely to be a garish sensory onslaught for anyone with a normal attention span."  

Roger Ebert
(**/****) said:"
A film that little kids might find perfectly acceptable.Little, little, little kids."  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Earlier today, it got as low as 13%, putting it well within RAZZ-ing range...  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 7:16pm
Some sources do say that Smurfs is a family film, but based on what I've seen, I don't think it's being aimed at families.  There were quite a few adult jokes in the trailers.  

Originally posted by Vheid

I would personally also add The Smurfs to the list of "potential family film disasters" for 2011, but maybe that's just me...   

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 7:33pm
I agree. It's not so much the Smurfs as it is a bad wannabe "Alvin & The Chipmunks" meets "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" -- I mean, do they really have to go to NYC? What's up with that?  

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 8:38pm

Who else could the audience be for the Smurfs film? Easily amused slow-witted people?    

Some sources do say that that's a family film, but based on what I've seen, I don't think it's being aimed at families.  There were quite a few adult jokes in the trailers.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 9:22am
Those are the 2 new fads with family movies:
1)Having the title rhyme:If it's catchy,more people will see it.Although they tend to flop.
2)Having the characters go to a big city,specially New York or Hollywood.
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 3:44pm
The biggest mistake is opening it up against Super 8, which is the most likely to take the #1 spot at the box office. And we all know how superior Super 8 is, right?
You think you know, but you have no idea.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 9:11am
I assume the "audience" for Smurfs includes adults who are familiar with the TV series and/or comic books...    

Who else could the audience be for the Smurfs film? Easily amused slow-witted people?    

Some sources do say that that's a family film, but based on what I've seen, I don't think it's being aimed at families.  There were quite a few adult jokes in the trailers.

Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 9:22am

I grew up with both the TV series and the comic books, but that doesn't mean that I am willing to pay money for a movie version....  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: My two cents -- I've alwaze found THE SMURFS to be as obnoxiously "cute" and grating as the CHIPMUNKS (whose inexplicable box office success this film aims at ripping off). And I fully expect the "new" SMURFS movie to live down to the standard set by previous incarnations of this woeful material. For whichever weekend it's set for release, it at least has a shot at being my Worst of the Weak pick...  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 10:15pm
My advice for you on 'The Smurfs' is, 'If you have kids (12 or under), don't bring them.  Some of the material might not be appropriate for them.'  And another thing: If not enough Razzie members see it, then it may get overlooked on the nominating ballot.  That may have contributed to 'Furry Vengeance' and 'Yogi Bear' missing the cut last year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>