Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Member Discussion of WINNIE THE POOH
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Cute...or Criminal?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cute...or Criminal?!?!?
    Posted: July 08 2011 at 9:50am
PLEASE NOTE: THIS DISCUSSION IS MEANT to BE a CHANCE for OUR FORUM MEMBERS to EXPRESS THEIR OPINIONS on the DIZZ-KNEE VERSION of WINNIE THE POOH COMPARED to the ORIGINAL VERSION, as WELL as a CHANCE to DISCUSS HOLLYWOOD's CAVALIER ATTITUDE TOWARD CHILDREN's LITERATURE in GENERAL. IT IS NOT MEANT to IMPLY THAT, EVEN THOUGH SOME of US LOATHE DIZZ-KNEE's BASTARDIZED POOH, the FILM ITSELF IS NECESSARILY a RAZZIE® CONTENDER. 

TO START WITH: I SHOULD ADMIT THAT A.A. MILNE's WRITINGS in GENERAL, and HIS MUTLIPLE WINNIE the POOH BOOKS in PARTICULAR, WERE AMONG MY PERSONAL FAVORITES as a CHILD (and SOMETHING I CHOSE to SHARE with MY SON WHEN I BECAME a PARENT). AMONG the BOOKs' MOST APPEALING ELEMENTS WERE the UTTERLY CHARMING ERNEST SHEPHERD DRAWINGS THAT ACCOMPANIED the TEXT. WITH CHARACTERS RUMPLED, TATTERED and OFTEN LITERALLY UNRAVELING, SHEPHERD's CONCEPTION of MILNE's 100 ACRE WOOD DENIZENS WERE DELIGHTFULLY APT, AMUSING and ADORABLE in the BEST SENSE. 

BUT WHEN MILNE's HEIRS SOLD the MOVIE RIGHT for POOH to WALT DISNEY in the MID-1960s, the ANIMATION STUDIO TRANSFORMED the IMAGES of POOH HIMSELF, PIGLET, KANGA, ROO, RABBIT and TIGGER into ROUND-EDGED, PLUSH-TOY-READY, ALMOST UNRECOGNIZABLE CARTOON CHARACTERS. AND THEY TOOK the DELIGHTFULLY OUTRE' QUALITY of MANY of MILNE's STORIES and TURNED THEM INTO EXCUSES for HIDEOUS MUSICAL NUMBERS LIKE "THE HEFFALUMPS and WOOZLES SONG" (YOU TUBE LINK) -- in WHICH DIZZ-KNEE's ANIMATORS RIPPED OFF THEIR OWN (FAR SUPERIOR) "PINK ELEPHANTS: SONG from DUMBO.

BASICALLY, as HIS STUDIO HAD DONE with ALICE IN WONDERLAND (IMDb LINK) a DECADE-and-a-HALF EARLIER, DISNEY BASTARDIZED a DESERVED CLASSIC of CHILDRENS' LITERATURE INTO a RUN-of-the-MILL, INDISTINGUISHABLE MISH-MASH of CUTSIE-NESS THAT, THOUGH IT MAY HAVE MADE the STUDIO a sh*t-LOAD of MONEY, OFFENDED MANY WHO CHERISHED the ORIGINAL BOOKS. 

WHILE IT CAN BE ARGUED THAT DIZZ-KNEE's POOH IS "CUTE AS HELL," WHAT IT IS NOT IS an EVEN VAGUE REPRESENTATION of the IMMORTAL MATERIAL on WHICH IT IS BASED. 

WHETHER YOU AGREE, DISAGREE (or JUST WANNA ASK WHY WE'RE PICKING on the ROLLY POLEY OL' BEAR), BELOW IS YOUR CHANCE to DO SO...

ERNEST SHEPHERD's Original POOH... 

...and DIZZ-KNEE's CLOYINGLY CUTE VERSION... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 11:00am
The past couple of generations that were robbed of the opportunity to enjoy the literary treasure of Winnie the Pooh by Disney Studios and lazy parents have truly missed out on magic.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 12:40pm
I remember I went to see Tigger Movie back when it first came out. My dad also has a collection of A.A. Milne's writing. It's interesting because, for the most part, unlike the Disney adaption the entire thing is done in third person (I believe it was Christopher Robin who was the narrator). My mom has told me on several occasions that she is interested in seeing this movie (She grew up with Winnie the Pooh when she was younger).
Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 2:09pm
This may seem odd to many of you... but this film has been predicted by various websites to gain a 'Best Animated Feature' Oscar nomination (even a win). I wonder why that is...
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 3:01pm
Because so far the reviews for this movie are pretty positive. A nomination does seem possible, but I doubt a win is all that likely.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 3:13pm
Besides, there aren't many animated movies this year just yet.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 8:11am
Roger Ebert gave it 3 stars out of 4:"In a time of shock-value 3D animation and special effects,the look of the film is gentle and pleasing".
Grounder the Critic View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 1:59pm
Listened to the Spill.com audio review.
Pictures move, do they?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 2:57pm
81% at rotten tomatoes currently!
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 3:28pm
As Head Razz noted above, the discussion here is NOT about whether or not this movie is Razzie worthy, but whether or not it is worthy of the original source material. My conclusion based upon the 81% approval rating at RT? It decidedly is NOT. The approval rating for the Winnie the Pooh stories in literary form is probably closer to 99%. This may well be a delightful movie. But I'm glad I shared the stories in book form with my nephews, and I'll pass on this movie. 

It can only be disappointing by comparison.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 6:58am
All I can say now that this film has 90% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes - Rango, you've met your match...
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 7:50am
I dunno -- will the Academy let a "traditionally" animated film win for once?!?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 10:56am
"Short, nostalgic, and gently whimsical, it offers young audiences and their parents a sweetly traditional family treat."  

Originally posted by Film Reel Redemption

All I can say now that this film has 90% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 4:26pm
Okay, I think the HeadRAZZ is losing it. Everyone said it here, it's doing well with the critics. How can you go wrong with Zooey Deschanel crooning the theme song. She's a better singer than any of those twats out there who don't realize their bodies make them famous (see Katy Perry).  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Maybe you should direct your attention to the first posting on this Forum (you know, the one atop this very page) before you go casting aspersions. Far from "losing it," I made it blatantly clear (apparently to almost everyone but you) that I was adding this Forum to allow our members to complain about Hollywood's mis-treatment of "kiddie lit" in general, and Dizz-Knee's "bastardization" of the A.A. Milne/Ernest Shepherd original WINNIE THE POOH in particular... 

You think you know, but you have no idea.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 5:31pm
Maybe you didn't read HeadRAZZBerry's many posts earlier this month: He said he was adding this forum out of principle! He knew this movie would succeed with critics, but he added the forum because he's angry at Disney for turning Winnie the Pooh from 192X monochrome sketch animation to cutesy colored animation in their own style... especially Disney's sugary storylines! 

Personally, Disney's hunger to own this close to everything is yet another reason I don't like capitalism at all.
hmae View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote hmae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2011 at 5:59am
I think it's a breath of fresh air to see old-school animated movies on screen. It was better that they did not make a 3D Winnie the Pooh film.  I still want to retain my old Winnie the Pooh memories, so I was glad they left them the way they were.
Learn more about acl injury for symptoms and information regarding the most common knee joint problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>