Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies
    Posted: January 05 2013 at 12:34pm
My comments on DIRTY DANCING (and its sequel (skip to 03:10)):

Any thoughts?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 8:13am
12 (well, 13) years later, I re-watched CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON.

Did anyone else feel that the scene in the desert ruined the movie? You see, if you use a flashback during the middle, it can't be too long or it's going to slow down the plot. And the plot was already not advancing much by that point. It would've worked much better if it had been shown in several short flashbacks throughout the movie.

I'm not trying to make the movie sound like it wasn't deep (it was), but the plot could've been solved in a lot less time. Complex themes don't equal a story with enough material.

That being said, it was very refresing to me (a guy who's in his 20's in 2012/13) to see that action doesn't need excessive editing. All you need are the right angles, intense music and actors that actually trained and put effort into the choreography. The best part was Zhang Ziyi's performance.

I give it a 7/10.

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Vits

That being said, it was very refresing to me (a guy who's in his 20's in 2012/13) to see that action doesn't need excessive editing. All you need are the right angles, intense music and actors that actually trained and put effort into the choreography.

YES!!! Why don't action directors today understand that overuse of editing ruins everything? Granted, it's not as bad as shaky-cam, but still.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2013 at 12:10pm
During these days of bed rest, I re-watched 2 classics:

1) RESERVOIR DOGS: I agree with what the majority says about this movie, except that I hated Tim Roth's performance. Too over-the-top, even for a guy who's dying. And most of what we see in the flashbacks isn't needed. The characters are already established with what they present in... well, the present. I noticed something I didn't the first time around: Although MR. ORANGE was in fact a cop, JOE says "Proof isn't needed when you've got instinct". Ummm... That's stupid. You can't go around acussing people without evidence. That line changed everything, and therefore, MR. WHITE was right in defending him in that sense. Any thoughts on this? Anyway, I give it an 8/10.

2) THE ELEPHANT MAN: It was too hard to make this movie without cheesy moments, and it does have them, but mostly they're honest. It's impossible not to cry at least once during the last 30-40 minutes. Anthony Hopkins and John Hurt are very good. By the way, when JOHN MERRICK meets FREDERICK TREEVES' wife, he starts crying and says "I'm not used to beautiful women being nice to me". Ummm... what about the hospital nurses? Sure, one of them screamed when he first saw him (which is understandable since she wasn't prepared), but after that, they treated him as nicely as the doctors. What a jerk!
LOL
Anyway, I give it a 7/10.

Fun fact: Both movies could've scored 100% on Rotten Tomatoes if it wasn't for a couple of reviews. In both cases, the "rotten" reviews were written by Roger Ebert (although they were actually just average). While it's normal to disagree, I think some of the repliers went too far. (link 1) (link 2). Do you?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 8:30am
After many years, I re-watched CENTRAL DO BRASIL (CENTRAL STATION).

I really liked how they avoided the contrived melodrama (I kept expecting DORA to slap JOSUÉ because he kept insulting her, but instead she knew how to handle it properly). And it's well acted, but a lot of the twists are predictable. And it's not as insightful as it thinks it is.

I give it a 7/10.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2013 at 10:45am
This episode includes FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS (skip to 01:56):

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 1:59pm
This episode includes COOL HAND LUKE and DOG DAY AFTERNOON:

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 12:33pm
This episode includes WORKING GIRL and ALL THAT JAZZ (skip to 01:27):

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 12:33pm
This episode includes SUPER MARIO BROS. and RAISING ARIZONA:

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Vits

I just saw BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S.
And these are my comments on it:

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 1:05pm
This episode includes GHOST WORLD (skip to 00:36).

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 11:14am
This episode includes SUNSET BOULEVARD (HeadRAZZ's favorite movie (skip to 04:14)):

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 1:58pm
My review of WEST SIDE STORY (skip to 06:14). But before that, I talk about CHAPLIN (at the beginning), and, the MAD MAX franchise (skip to 04:27):

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 3:27pm
I just re-watched LUCAS. That little sh*t really got on my nerves everytime he'd put on his football helmet without strapping it. And also when he took it off during the game. Anyway, I give it a 7/10.

I've also recently re-watched E.T. Guess what? ELLIOT also got in my nerves when E.T. was dying and the doctors were trying to help him, and he would yell "Leave him alone!". But the most disturbing part was when he said something like "You don't have the right to touch him! He chose me!". Anyway, I give it a 9/10.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 12:45pm
I just re-watched PULP FICTION, and gave it a 9/10.

The guys who were interviewed in ROOM 237 (the documentary about theories on THE SHINING) are nothing compared to the people who analyze this movie. Just because bad things happen whenever VINCENT goes to the bathroom, doesn't mean there's something behind it! As for what's in MARCELLUS' briefcase, it can't be his soul because PUMPKIN/RINGO doesn't even know him. And if it were the ear that was cut off in RESERVOIR DOGS, his reaction would've been a lot different. On the other hand, the diamonds from that movie sounds more plausibe. Thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 2:53pm
I just re-watched NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, and gave it a 9/10.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>