Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > POLL: Is CITIZEN KANE Really The #1 BEST Movie of ALL Time??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

CITIZEN KANE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Poll Question: Is Welles' 1941 "Masterpiece" The BEST Movie EVER Made??
Vote Poll Choice Poll Statistics
[12.36%]
[61.80%]
[19.10%]
[6.74%]

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CITIZEN KANE
    Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:14pm
I think Stephen Norrington's Blade is far supierior to Gone With the Wind. Everyone has their own opinions, and I completely respect your opinion moviewizguy. And don't worry about your finding Citizen Kane "boring". Most people do, they just don't talk about it. Not me though, because I'm a HUGE fan of Orson Welles. Also really liked Touch of Evil. Want to see Falstaff a.k.a. Chimes at Midnight. No worries, just "chiming" in (NO pun intended).
Doppy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 8:44am
If I think about the fact that Welles wrote, directed and interpreted this film when he was just 25 years (even now I'm 25 years old) makes me goosebumps, in a good way! Accomplished artists as him :  well educated, trained, inspired, now no longer exist or you really count on the fingers of one hand!
Citizen Kane is a  film that should be seen with a vigilant eye, even if you lose a piece of the "puzzle", you lose everything and have to start over again, but not right away, absolutely!

I am an italian moviegoer
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2011 at 6:36pm
My guess here is that if you are that excited about Breaking Wind, you probably aren't going to be particularly bowled over by Citizen Kane.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
atk2tonogan View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote atk2tonogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2011 at 3:41am
I have not seen this movie. But I am very very very excited to see Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1... 
jetbrav View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote jetbrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 1:27am
Yes, Citizen Kane is the best movie of all time!!!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2011 at 11:17am
Welcome Francessam. Are you by any chance the president of the AFI? LOL
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
francessam View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote francessam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2011 at 9:17pm
Citizen Kane was a really good movie and I"m not surprised why it was chosen as the #1 Best movie of all time. I liked Citizen Kane but it's not really my favorite to be in the no.1 spot. My most favorite is Casablanca. It was a truly great classic movie. I also loved Gone with The Wind and The Godfather.   
Lord Naseby View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lord Naseby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 10:28am
I don't think it SHAKESPEARE a satire at all. Satire uses ironic sarcasm to make a statement, something SIL lacked. It was an homage film. Plus the references were anything but subtle. The priest saying "A plague on both of your houses," not subtle. In another year I might not have minded (although I don't know which). My big problem is that Harvey Weinstein lied his butt off about what kind of film PRIVATE RYAN was. 'Historically Inaccurate?!?' Give me a break! SIL had even less that was actually accurate about it. Not to mention that it managed to take other Oscars away from people who gave performances of a lifetime (such as Cait Blanchett in Elizabeth, who kicked the ever- loving crap out of Gwyneth Paltrow in terms of performance).

Weinstein controls the Academy like a puppet master. Not to mention that the Academy has always hated Spielberg's guts. When you combine the two, Private Ryan loses and Weinstein gets to go home with another Oscar.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Don't even know where to start trying to respond to this diatribe -- If the AMPAS "has always hated Spielberg's guts," how do you explain that he's been Oscar-nominated 13 TIMES (IMDb LINK) and has not only won THREE TIMES, but one of his wins was as Best Director...for PRIVATE RYAN! 

As for SHAKESPEARE being "historically inaccurate," it did not represent itself as being about actual history but instead was clearly a romantic fable, merely "riffing" on the works and legends of Shakespeare and his times.  

Sounds to me like you're buying into the "Spielberg is God/Fanboy" folklore too readily available on the 'Net...  

Lord Naseby read my reviews!

http://lordnasebyblog.blogspot.com/
maxxxpower View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxxxpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 10:02am
Actually I would vote for Forest Gump as my best ever -- That is a great movie!  
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 7:56pm
I don't know, not every SuperBowl makes for a great showing for all teams. There's the odd chance you get that 33-3 game that should have ended after the second quarter...  

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I agree that the Oscars are the Super Bowl of the movie industry, but the NFL doesn't have to look back on several of their past champions with a degree of embarrassed throat clearing. I don't think anyone who played for the Green Bay Packers in the '97 Super Bowl would speak of the accomplishment with anything but pride. But seriously, would you ever come out and publicly admit that you were one of the guys who voted for Forrest Gump?

"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 12:17pm
I was in a rush when I posted that. I re-checked the source and it didn't say they paid them, but implied it. There's no links, so I can't verify it. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 10:10am
I think Shakespeare in Love is a brilliant film. Considering the fact that I downright loathed the story of Romeo and Juliet and every film adaptation I've seen, I was blown away by how great the movie was. Saving Private Ryan is good too, but I've seen better war films -- like Full Metal Jacket and Letters to Iwo Jima.  

Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

Gotta disagree with you about SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE vs SAVING RYAN's PRIVATES -- I have seen both films multiple times and, while RYAN is one of the best war films ever made, SHAKESPEARE is a brilliant satire that actually expects its audience to be educated enough to get subtle references to several of Shakespeare's classic plays and favorite plot devices. While RYAN is indeed a fine film, SHAKESPEARE is a movie that respects audiences enough not to talk down to us -- an all too rare vote of confidence in movie-goers' intelligence in an age when most of Hollywood thinks we're all complete cretins!

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 3:54am
I think the reason over the Shakespeare In Love backlash is less with the film itself and more with Harvey Weinstein's rumored tactics. Specifically, paying off journalists to claim that Private Ryan was historically inaccurate!  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Even though this is only an open Forum, and nothing here is technically "published," I feel compelled to point out that, while opinions are most welcome, the posting of accusations, allegations and other "actionable remarks" here is both inappropriate and unwelcome. I bring this up because I just now edited the above post to include the word "rumored" -- I think it's reasonable to assume that, had evidence of the accusations against Weinstein existed, Spielberg and the makers of PRIVATE RYAN would have sought legal recourse. The fact that they did not, while not exactly proving the accusations untrue, certainly lends credence to their being an example of "Urban Folklore." 

In future, let's try to stay focused on what each of us thinks about the subjects at hand, rather than posting rumor, innuendo and other material that could be considered "actionable remarks" on our part... 

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lord Naseby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 9:45pm
Ah yes the '97 Superbowl one of the bigger upsets in Superbowl history. As a fan of the winning team, the Broncos, I can say that it is indeed better to have gone and lost than not gone at all. Not so much with the Oscars. The Superbowl is actually based off of talent. the winning team worked their butts off to get there. With the Oscars, a few simple payoffs and a giant smear campaign and you will have it regardless of whether or not you deserve it. case and point, Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan which is widely regarded as one of the biggest f*** ups in Oscar history.   

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Gotta disagree with you about SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE vs SAVING RYAN's PRIVATES -- I have seen both films multiple times and, while RYAN is one of the best war films ever made, SHAKESPEARE is a brilliant satire that actually expects its audience to be educated enough to get subtle references to several of Shakespeare's classic plays and favorite plot devices. While RYAN is indeed a fine film, SHAKESPEARE is a movie that respects audiences enough not to talk down to us -- an all too rare vote of confidence in movie-goers' intelligence in an age when most of Hollywood thinks we're all complete cretins!  

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 9:07pm
I agree that the Oscars are the Super Bowl of the movie industry, but the NFL doesn't have to look back on several of their past champions with a degree of embarrassed throat clearing. I don't think anyone who played for the Green Bay Packers in the '97 Super Bowl would speak of the accomplishment with anything but pride. But seriously, would you ever come out and publicly admit that you were one of the guys who voted for Forrest Gump?
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lord Naseby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 7:50pm
well 1990 would be a do-over because Goodfellas has aged so much better than DWW so is the second half of your list films that most people feel shouldn't have won that you agree with the win?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>