Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum member reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 26>
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum member reviews
    Posted: November 18 2013 at 4:05pm
Maybe the people behind the remake noticed the same flaws you did and will try to fix them in order to make a good love story?
Originally posted by moviecritic1994

this relationship can actually be illegal in some states because sometimes 17 is sometimes considered the age for someone to be an adult. So in legal terms, this would be statutory rape.

I'm pretty sure that back in the '80s people weren't so obsessed with the whole statuory rape as they are today. They knew better than to put the label "rape" or "manipulation" on every relationship with an age difference, even if it's only 2 years. No, really. I've read that 18-year-olds have been arrested for dating 17-year-olds!
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

Here's why I think this is getting remade: someone came up with a "new" idea for a film and when the script was trotted out for the studios, someone noticed that the film was very similar to the original Endless Love and just bought the rights to it. They did the same thing with Starship Troopers; that was originally a normal space marine movie until someone noticed similarities with thw novel. However, this inspired Verhoeven to turn the film into an insane (and hilarious) parody of the novel. I should mention that I have no proof that this happened and that I could be very wrong, but I think it's very likely.

You have no proof? That's O.K. because there have been cases like that. Like UNDER SIEGE PART 2.
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

I'm somewhat a fan of the original.

Is it a guilty pleasure of yours? Or do you consider it good?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 4:09pm
Did you miss the post where I mention the makers of the remake also made The Greatest and Country Strong?

Originally posted by Vits

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">Maybe the people behind the remake noticed the same flaws you did and will try to fix them in order to make a good love story?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 4:27pm
I didn't. You're talking about Shana Feste, who was nominated for the 2011 Vits Awards for Worst Drama Movie Script... twice! The thing is that THE GREATEST (which was also up for Worst Movie) didn't really have any bad messages. COUNTRY STRONG showed alcoholism as a disease you can't cure. While I don't agree with that, half of the world does, so it's not really a bad message.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 5:25pm
I like the characters from the original Red Dawn. The main villain was surprisingly three dimentional for an '80s Commie-bashing movie. And the film's helped by the fact that it's directed by John Milius, who's a very talented guy.

The remake, on the other hand, is one of the most pointless (and stupid) pieces of crap I've seen lately. Seriously, North Korea being a serious threat? Their military is one of the most poorly trained in the world. I had the same problem with the also awful, but not as awful Olympus Has Fallen. And what the f*ck was up with the Subway scene?
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Up-next: Reefer Madness
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 4:53pm
Alright... I can't believe I'm doing this. My next 2 reviews will be... In The Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale and.... The Hottie and The Nottie.   

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: A DUNGEON SIEGE TALE was our PreVue Nite feature a few years ago and I've gotta say, watching with a roomful of RAZZIE® Members all cat-calling and interacting with its awfulness made for one helluva fun evening. Watching it all by yourself though...not so much fun. As for HOTTIE & THE NOTTIE, it was supposed to be our PreVue Nite feature one year, but everyone in attendance voted against subjecting themselves to it. So it looks like you've set yourself a most unpleasant task. You have my sympathies... 

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 5:54pm
Dang man, why does Paris Hilton have to be existent?

I wish you luck, moviecritic1994.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 10:54pm
IN THE NAME OF THE KING: A DUNGEON SIEGE TALE (2008)

This film made me cry... tears of laughter. Really there hasn't been a bad movie for so long that made me laugh so loud to the point where it was hard to breathe. We can all thank the laughable writing done by Doug Taylor and awful direction by Uwe Boll. All of that leads up to a lot of laughs, but not enough to say this film is so bad but so good.

So, this guy named Farmer (Jason Statham) is a simple "farmer" who pretty much lives a boring existence with his wife and child. When the Kingdom is attacked by these monster things (don't care what they're called) it's up to Farmer and the rest of the royal army to protect the Kingdom and the King (Burt Reynolds), If I had to name the biggest crime of this movie, it would be the fact that it's so unbelievably boring. There are a lot of scenes and camera shots that are absolutely pointless. The fighting scenes last forever and the effects done during these sequences are just straight out ridiculous. When we are not on the battlefield, we are stuck in a boring (sometimes laughable) conversation between our cardboard cut out characters. I am serious when I say practically everything coming out of these people's mouths is hilarious. A lot of the time, I would just crack up anytime Matthew Lillard or Burt Reynolds tried to be dramatic.

I must also point out, the acting really is terrible in this movie. Burt Reynolds has a phoned in performance as the king while Matthew Lillard clearly isn't a dramatic actor. The guy playing the evil wizard also comes off flat and boring. However, I will give props to Jason Statham. I mean his performance really wasn't great, but still he really tried unlike his costars. Also, he is pretty hot.

To wrap up this review, I have to say this really is a stupid movie. At times, it's enjoyably stupid with a few good action scenes done by Jason Statham. Besides that though, In The Name of The King really is a boring movie with a recycled storyline and one note characters. The Writing is awful (when it's not being funny) and obviously director Uwe Boll should stay away from motion pictures. And no, I will not review the sequel.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 2:36am
THE HOTTIE AND THE NOTTIE (2008)

It's been said that there are no coincidences when it comes to things or people being the way they are. The Hottie and The Nottie has only one purpose... to promote Paris Hilton for 91 minutes. Not only is this film a very long commercial for Miss Hilton, but it's a disgusting, worthless, shallow and stupid waste of time. Well... this was painful as a critic.

Nate Cooper (Joel David Moore) has never forgotten his first love Cristabel (Paris Hilton). In order to date her, he needs to find a date for her not so attractive friend June (Christine Lakin). First off, the writing and storyline make absolutely no sense. All my life, I have never heard the term "Nottie" before. In fact, it's not even a real word. The basic premise is Paris Hilton is the hottest woman in L.A... and that's it. In that process though, the script is so mean spirited toward June and anyone else who doesn't look like they could be on the cover of GQ. Was the script written in crayon or something?

Let's just face it, Paris Hilton is a terrible actress. Then again, I don't even think she's trying to portray any character. She's mainly just being herself while reciting lines with no conviction or believability. As for everyone else, yeah they're pretty bad too. Then again, the real actors (I say that as a figure of speech) have terrible material to work with. Still, I must fault anyone who thought being in a movie filled with gross out humor, awful dialogue and constant slow motion shots of Paris Hilton in a bikini was a good idea.

You want to know the most awful thing about this movie? It's very manipulative and deceptive. It really tries to convince you that there's a worthwhile message about inner beauty and being who you are. When really... THERE IS NO POINT TO THIS MOVIE! Be honest Heidi Ferrer, you were hired to do one thing, write in as many scenes as possible with Paris posing like a model. Also write idiotic dialogue like this: "A world without organisms would be like a world without flowers".

This film really should've won more Razzies than it got. Maybe even the Razzie for Worst Picture. Then again, who the hell saw it? The Hottie and The Nottie (according to Box Office Mojo) only made about $27,696 domestically. It was a huge bomb to say the least. Obviously, you can see why. The movie is manipulative, shallow, disgusting, horribly written and horribly directed. Here's my advice to Paris Hilton, stick to being a paparazzi star.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 5:11am
I wish people would stop judging by appearances and start judging by how they act. Thankfully, people are smart enough to not think of Paris as "hot" because of her looks.

Good review.

And here's a fun fact for you: almost every movie Paris Hilton starred in, not counting cameos, is on the IMDb Bottom 100 List. The only exceptions are the House of Wax remake, and Repo the Genetic Opera.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 1:22pm
Do you watch THE BRIDGE? I think he's done a very good job in it.

Matthew Lillard clearly isn't a dramatic actor.

Do you think Statham should be the Sexiest Man Alive instead of Adam Levine?

he is pretty hot.

Why not?

I will not review the sequel.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 3:44pm
I will not review the sequel because the 1st was an overly long mess. I can't get through that again so soon at least.

Adam Levine is really cute, but still there's something about Statham. He's so... mysterious
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 11:39am
AFTER EARTH (2013)

Danger is real, fear is a choice... Man what a ridiculous line in a rather ridiculous film. After Earth is nothing more than a typical M. Night Shyamalan movie filled with terrible writing, careless direction, unemotional performances and straight out boredom from beginning to end.

The premise is simple enough, Kitai (Jaden Smith) and his father Cypher (Will Smith) live in the far future where all humans are now on the planet Nova Prime. Father and son are planning to bond on some sort of mission (not sure if that is ever explained) which leads to a crash landing on the abandoned planet Earth. Now it's up to Kitai to signal for help as his father guides him through the wild and deserted planet. Yes, we are stuck with Jaden's overacting and Will's underacting. Seriously though, this film is supposed to be about a father and son bonding while trying to survive a dangerous environment. However, both of these guys show no father and son connection. In fact, Cypher acts like an emotionless robot throughout the entire movie. He treats his son more like a cadet than a son. I wouldn't be complaining about this if there was actual movement and execution to this message. There is no growth or change in Cypher at all. Yeah Kitai shows growth, but a bonding between characters goes both ways. It doesn't work unless we the audience know that the growth has come from both parties.

Now this film is supposed to be a Sci-Fi adventure... but where's the adventure? After Earth is so boring and it doesn't help the two people are just as boring as Mayo. Even though there are some nice visuals with the environment and the inhabitants, the story plays out like a really lame video game with boss battles and all. It's also really unnerving when you're main hero makes what I like to call "the Bella Stare" more than half the time.

The acting is not god awful, but still one is to expect wooden performances out of a script written by Old M. Night. Even though Jaden Smith is trying his hardest here, whenever he tries to be dramatic it turns out either really annoying or unintentionally funny. As for Will Smith, he's obviously playing an unemotional character. Still though, it's hard to like this guy when he doesn't show any real concern or love for his son. Seriously, more than half the time I wanted to punch Cypher in the face. I am not use to Will Smith's character being huge sticks in the mud. Again, what do you expect from Shyamalan?

After Earth is really a pain to sit through. Even though its 90 minutes, it feels like an eternity. The story is boring, the characters are not really fresh or even 3 dimensional, the writing is beyond stupid and of course anyone involved in the project has a major setback on their career. Well except M. Night, he's beyond help at this point.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 2:21pm
SUPERGIRL (1984)

It's time to review one of my favorite Guilty Pleasures, Supergirl. Yes, this film is stupid but enjoyably stupid. Despite the bad acting, sloppy direction, awkward writing and one dimensional characters, for me this film has a certain "charm" to it. Why do I find this movie so bad and so good? Let's find out.

Kara is Superman's young cousin living in a planet of Krypton survivors. A power source (I'll just call it the ball of power) has been lost and without it the survivors will die. So, Supergirl goes to Earth to retrieve the ball of power. Okay, here's where it gets weird. In the movie, the story is set up like a rescue mission that has a time limit. But then out of nowhere Kara ends up enrolling herself at a Private all girl school. Excuse me, but you do know your planet needs that ball of power like right now? This is no time to find yourself and make friends with Lois Lane's sister. Not even halfway through, we the audience are dragged into a totally different movie. "Supergirl" is now a coming of age story about a girl who has great but inconsistent powers. Now I've heard there was some drama behind the scenes of this movie involving issues with the script. So maybe that's why there are so many plot holes in this film and the script seems to have two plot threads instead of one.

The "best" part about this movie is the acting. Wow, I've never seen so many hammy performances in one movie in my time as a movie goer. The best ham acting of all is Faye Dunaway as the evil witch Selena. Anytime she says anything, I laugh like a maniac. Even though Selena is the lamest witch I've ever seen on screen, it's still fun to watch her attempts to be evil. Maybe taking over the world isn't her calling. However, the worst acting in this film is done by Helen Slater as Supergirl. On one hand, I understand she has no really good material to work with in the movie. However, she could have at least done what everybody else was doing: not take the movie seriously. Have as much fun as Faye -- even Peter O Toole as Zaltar got a laugh or two.

I won't deny that Supergirl is a bad movie. The Effects are laughable, the acting is hammy, the writing is a mess and all the characters in this movie are either tools or blank slates. Still, I had so much fun watching this movie because of how bad it is. This is coming from someone who never really got the appeal of the Christopher Reeve Superman films, or Superman in general. If you can have a sense of humor about this film, and not take it so seriously, then you'll be laughing just as much as I was. 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 1:35pm
MOMMIE DEAREST (1981)

"Mommie Dearest" really does nothing but make you feel depressed and empty by the time the end credits roll. This film is based on a memoir written by the daughter of Joan Crawford, Christiana. Some people actually think she exaggerated (or straight-out lied) in her book. To be honest, I really don't care if the book holds true or not. Either way, I can say without hesitation "Mommie Dearest" is one of the worst films I've ever seen.  

This movie explores the dramatic life of Joan Crawford (Faye Dunaway) and how she sees the world around her as nothing but a big movie set. She's the star and everyone else around her is just extras or supporting actors. When she's not posing for cameras or crying over not getting roles, she is either drinking like a sailor or abusing her adoptive daughter. And really... that's all this film has to offer...every scene has no purpose, besides making Joan Crawford look like the mother from Hell. I mean yeah there are times when she does smile and act like a human being, but those times are very rare in this movie. A lot of the scenes are just Joan yelling at the top of her lungs often over practically nothing. Whether it be over a turned down movie role, a break up or (who can forget) wire hangers? Which tirade, by the way, comes out of nowhere. The whole wire hanger scene is rather pointless, but then again, most of this movie is pointless.

There's a reason a lot of people look at this movie as a camp classic and that reason of course is Faye Dunaway's overacting. As much as I liked her in Supergirl, her dramatic antics are not charming here. She is so annoying that any time she opened her mouth I wanted to cup my hands over my ears to block out the sound. Also, the rest of the cast suffers from the basic fact that the script is cold and heartless. Really, all the characters in this movie are nothing but plot devices ready to go off when necessary. I must point out the bland performance by Diana Scarwid. She's mainly just going through scene by scene offering little to no emotion.

Surprisingly, there are a lot of people who really like this movie. I don't know why anyone would enjoy a movie where nothing but abuse is going on in every scene. If Joan is not abusing her daughter, she's drinking or has found someone else to take out her anger on. The acting is completely off, the story is either really boring or really cold and the direction is also really off. Who thought this would make a good movie? It will take me a while until I am able to get over the feeling of depression that "Mommie Dearest" has given me. 

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 2:56pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: MovieCritic -- I enjoyed your review, and had many of the same reactions to MOMMIE the first time I saw it. The one thing you didn't address is the fact that the film, whenever shown to a theatre audience, elicits hoots and howls of laughter. Because I find the idea of an audience laughing at depictions of child abuse likely to be disturbing to a child, this is one of a handful of RAZZIE® "winners" I've never watched with my own son.

As for your question about why anyone would think Christina's book would make a good movie: They didn't consider whether it would be good, just that it would probably make money. The book version of MOMMIE DEAREST came out when selling 40,000 copies made a something a best-seller -- And between hardback, book club and paperback editions, MOMMIE sold something like 4 million copies! 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 3:06pm
I also forgot to mention Faye Dunaway doesn't like talking about Mommie Dearest at all. I wonder why?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 26>