Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum member reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 41>
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum member reviews
    Posted: December 01 2013 at 3:23pm
Which Razzie winners have you seen with your son? Or haven't (depending on which list is shorter)?

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

this is one of a handful of RAZZIE® "winners" I've never watched with my own son.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Among the others I have not subjected my son to are SHOWGIRLS and FREDDY GOT FINGERED...

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 3:44pm
Apparently, Dunaway thought that she was going to win another Oscar for the film. In addition, she was outraged when the studio re-marketed it as a "comedy."

Originally posted by moviecritic1994

I also forgot to mention Faye Dunaway doesn't like talking about Mommie Dearest at all. I wonder why

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 6:51pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: It's also interesting to note that Dunaway was not the original casting as Joan Crawford -- That distinction belongs to fellow former Oscar winner Anne Bancroft, who got a look at an early draft of the screenplay and (wisely, as it turned out) walked away from the project.  

As for Dunaway expecting another Oscar nomination for MOMMIE, when the film first opened, most reviews were brutal, yet Paramount did run "For Your Consideration" ads in both trade papers -- Apparently honoring a clause in Faye's contract that required them to do so...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 7:41pm
Bancroft did not completely escape the Razzies' attention however.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Here's an IMDb LINK to see what Oiram is referring to... 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 3:19am
COCKTAIL (1988)

Cocktail really suffers from a really huge case of blandness and has a habit of having nothing interesting to show us. The film also has nothing interesting to say, in which case this movie is nothing but a huge waste of time and talent. The writing is sloppy, the cast is totally out of place, the characters are flat (when they're not being assholes for no good reason). Worst of all, Cocktail feels like an unintentional spin off of "The Lonely Lady".

Brian Flannigan (Tom Cruise) has just come back from the army looking to make it big in New York City. He then finds his place at a bar run by Doug (Bryan Brown) and this of course sets into motion the misadventures of one of the worst characters ever written in a screenplay. Let me first say this movie really is all over the place. At first, Cocktail is setting itself up as a coming of age story for Brian. I was thinking maybe he would go on this journey to maybe find out a lot about himself and grow from his experiences. However, the first act of this movie is nothing but Brian doing these Bartending tricks that get really old really quickly. Once we finally get about 45 to 55 minutes in, we go into an entirely different movie. We went from a story about bartending into an exploitation film where Brian is sleeping with women for either their money or just for kicks. It literally feels like he's filling in for Pia Zadora in a spin off called "Lonely 2: Open Bar".

Possibly the worst thing about this movie is the characters. You have no idea how many times I wanted to go into the movie and punch someone in the face or cuss them out. For instance, there's this professor who literally talks down to his students for no good reason. Granted, I know there are terrible teachers out there but this is really over the top and very unrealistic. However, the worst character in this movie has to be Brian himself. Wow, he is a real pain anytime he's on screen which is a lot of the time by the way. There really is no growth from him until maybe the last 15 minutes of the movie. Even then, I didn't believe he really learned anything from acting like an idiot the entire time. I really wanted to punch him in the face after he clearly cheats on Elizabeth Shue's character over a bet he has with Doug. There is no development from Brian and when there is it's not believable.

The acting isn't terrible, but any talent Tom Cruise or Elizabeth Shue have is sucked out by the mean spirited script and lack of direction. Cruise and the rest of the cast are really trying their hardest to portray something believable and it fails hard. Even though Tom Cruise sort of falls into that category of actors known as "Prince Charming 2.0", I can tell he really is trying to have fun with a role that is horribly written.

I wouldn't say Cocktail is one of the worst, but I really do regret having to sit through every single frame of annoyance, bad writing, lack luster acting and terrible characters on screen. At Worst, the film is a God awful waste of time. My advice would be to try and stay away from this movie if you don't want to feel like a dementor has sucked out a lot of your happiness. 

MY NEXT REVIEW: Roberto Benigni's version of Pinocchio... 

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 8:58am
LOL

"Lonely 2: Open Bar".

Too late for me.

My advice would be to try and stay away from this movie if you don't want to feel like a dementor has sucked out a lot of your happiness.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 1:02pm
Cocktail is one of my favorite bad movies. It's so ludicrous that I can't watch it without laughing uncontrollably. The only really awful thing about it is that it spawned Kokomo, one of the worst songs of all time.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 6:11pm
I haven't seen Benigni's PINOCCHIO, but it's considered to have one of the worst dubbing jobs ever, despite the low standards*. In fact, when it "won" Worst Actor, it said "For Roberto Benigni, dubbed GODZILLA-style by Breckin Meyer**." 

Anyway, it would be very interesting if MovieCritic watches it, because maybe he can talk about both versions in one review. Oh, and the only site with information about the budget is Wikipedia (which isn't very reliable), and it says that the movie cost 40 millions euros, which is around 55 million dollars. Shocking, right? Well, not so shocking when you read about the technical awards it won.

*Not to be mean, but the U.S. has had a very bad history with dubbing movies. 

**Does that mean that Meyer is considered a Razzie winner too? 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 7:40pm
PINOCCHIO (2002)

Let me just open up this review by saying I actually saw the Italian Dubbed version of the film. I've heard a lot of people say the English Dub of Pinocchio is actually a lot worse. Still, I think either way I can definitely say this movie is pretty bad. In fact, it's terrible from beginning to end. The acting is over the top, the writing is amateurish, the film looks like it was shot on a 2 million Dollar Budget and most importantly Roberto Benigni has just showed us he doesn't know how to do a proper adaptation. Let's dive into a very creepy version of the classic tale, Pinocchio.

I first must start off with one of the craziest casting ideas in cinema history, Roberto Benigni as Pinocchio . Who's bright idea was that? I mean I know he was the director of the film ,but I had no idea he actually was allowed to portray a role that would better suit a child. This might be a nitpick issue, but this casting choice really is distracting. When you put someone close to their 50's in a role that is for obviously a child, no one whether it be the audience or the critics can suspend their disbelief that far. And the way he portrays this character really is annoying to listen to. Not only is Benigni overacting the entire time, but he really is annoying when trying to act like a child, he obviously has no idea how real children act. Maybe Pinocchio in the book act this way, but you don't have to annoy the living crap out of us in the process.

Now this movie is based off of a story that is magical and quite creative. However, the entire I was watching this movie I knew I was looking at a set more than half the time. Also, anytime Pinocchio's nose grows or when he starts to turn into a donkey the effects are not believable at all. Really, this movie looks so low budget and it's also really distracting. Well, maybe not as distracting as a middle aged man in PJS acting like a child on Drugs.

The huge issue I have with this movie is that it tries so hard to both be very dark and very lighthearted at the same time. Don't get me wrong, this can work but not in an adaptation like Pinocchio. Take the Disney version for example, it just went into a lighthearted kids film and that worked very well. But you can't stay true to the dark version of the book and make it very bright and colorful. You would have to go one way or the other. Basically, Benigni wanted to make a film that would appeal to everyone which in turn turned out to be a movie no one can enjoy.

I know what Benigni was trying to do, but really this movie is a very complicated mess. The acting and writing in it is a joke. If you want a better adaptation, just see the Disney version of Pinocchio.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 11:17pm
THE INTERNSHIP (2013)

There are many things wrong with The Internship and I feel pretty bad saying that. Despite the many flaws of the film, I really saw glimpses of a very funny movie here. Still, more than half the time it feels like the script for this movie was written back in the early 2000's. Let's take a look at The Internship.

Bill (Vince Vaughn) and Nick (Owen Wilson) have just been let go from their jobs as salesman. However, Bill comes across an internship at Google which can lead to a full time position. So, they must mentally battle a bunch of college students in a "Mental Hunger Games". Yeah, I think I just described the first problem with the film. Even though this isn't a bad set up, we all know going into this movie that there will be sort of commercial breaks for Google to show off how good they are at information. Though this is kind of annoying to the audience, it isn't like an infomercial or anything like that. Let's just say the advertising for Google could've been a lot worse.

I would say the biggest problem with The Internship is the fact that the writing and the story felt very dated. In the film, all the characters really think the "Internet" is a new gimmick that is slowly taking over the world. That would be true back in 2005 or 2003, but here and now in 2013 the Internet has pretty much succeeded in it's mission of world domination.

There are actually jokes that do work in this movie, which is both a good and bad thing. Though it's great to have a good time and laugh at a movie, there are more times that the movie tries and fails. When the jokes die, man do they die! One of the most painful scenes in the film is when Bill and Nick are having their webcam interview with Google representatives. Not only does the scene feel like 10 minutes too long, but in that amount of time Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn become the most annoying people in this movie. The entire time I knew I was supposed to be laughing at their jokes, but it just came off as two very bad comedians doing a really bad stand up routine.

The acting is overall okay. I mean everyone in the cast is trying to have fun. Still though, great acting can't save a movie filled with stereotypical characters. For example, there's this guy named Graham who pretty much plays the villain in the film. Actually, he's more like a school bully trying to be a villain. His character is not only a cardboard cut out, but the character of Graham is pretty pointless. Why does this movie even need a villain? All he's doing is making snide remarks and helping out the rest of the cast with making Quidditch look stupid (which is a crime to a Harry Potter fan like myself).

The Internship is not too terrible, but it's still flawed in more than one field. Remember when The Onion called this movie "The best Comedy of 2005"? Well I can honestly say now I get the pun. Maybe if this film was released back when people said the Internet was just a temporary thing, maybe it could've been a good comedy. However, now it's Too Little too late. The jokes die out quickly, the writing is dated, the story is dated and it's hard to watch Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn try to recapture the great comedic elements of "Wedding Crashers".
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 7:03am
Really? That's one of the few times I actually laughed. Ironic, huh?

One of the most painful scenes in the film is when Bill and Nick are having their webcam interview with Google representatives. Not only does the scene feel like 10 minutes too long, but in that amount of time Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn become the most annoying people in this movie.

Confused
So is the acting OK or great?

The acting is overall okay. I mean everyone in the cast is trying to have fun. Still though, great acting can't save a movie filled with stereotypical characters.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 7:05am
The acting is both okay and great. Simply because everyone in the film was trying to work with a script older than a jar of Honey.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 12:22am
MAN OF STEEL (2013)

At first, I really didn't want to see this movie. Not just because it looked like a rip off of Batman Begins. but also because I am not really a fan of the Superman character in general. Whenever I think of a stereotypical and 1 dimensional superhero either Aqua man or Superman. However, I became curious when there seemed to be a huge split among Critics and Audience alike. People either really love or really hate this movie. So. I decided to expand my horizons and check out one of the biggest blockbusters of 2013.

Kal El (Henry Cavill) comes from the planet Krypton. He has been sent to Earth after his planet is destroyed and taken in by the Kents. After living a life of rejection and ostracism, Kal El becomes Superman and must defend Earth from General Zod (Michael Shannon). Though the film has a lot of flaws, it does excel in talented acting and stunning visuals. Really, every person tries their hardest in roles that are really either flat or just one noted. Take Amy Adams as Lois Lane for example. Yeah, this character is pretty pointless, she really is just the wise cracking Reporter who always needs to get rescued. Still though, Adams does a really good job holding her own against a character who probably should've stayed in the confines of the comics. Even Razzie favorite Kevin Costner holds up okay. Then again, he doesn't have a lot to do anyway in the film.

Like I said, the visuals are really interesting to look at. It doesn't matter if we're talking about the planet of Krypton, the Fortress of Solitude or the final battle between Superman and Zod. However, the great visuals is both an advantage and a disadvantage to Man of Steel. During the great fight scenes and explosions, we don't get much narratively about the character of Kal El. We are not getting the story of a great Superhero, we are getting the legend of a great superhero. Throughout the entire movie, we are always seeing the great and heroic things that Superman does. However, it's never explained, we are supposed to just go with it because he's Superman. To put it simply we don't get to see or know who Kal El is. We only know what he's supposed to be and what he's supposed to stand for. This really isn't enough (at least for me) to be really invested in this character because I want to know who the person behind that symbol is.

Michael Shannon as General Zod is fantastic casting. Even though there are times he can go a little bit over the top, I still believed him as a general threat to planet Earth. Henry Cavill also does really great as the Man of Steel. Again, we have an actor who pretty much is working with a character that isn't fleshed out enough. Still, he does really well in this role.

So, did I love or hate Man of Steel? Honestly, I thought it was... okay. And No, this isn't a cop out. Though the film is undeniably flawed, there is good things in the film as well. I mean it has great acting and very impressive visuals. With that being said, the film is flawed with a very thin story filled with very thin characters. Still, is it enough to hate the film? Well, even though I don't hate Man of Steel I see why a lot of people do. When you're a huge fan of Superman or maybe just the DC Cinematic universe in general, you're not expecting a generic blockbuster filled with just explosions and visually stunning worlds. You're looking for a whole lot more like great writing and storytelling along with characters that are relatable. So if anything I can see Man of Steel as a huge disappointment, but definitely not the worst movie of the year.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 6:06am
Screentime isn't everything. What matters is what the character does during that time.

Even Razzie favorite Kevin Costner holds up okay. Then again, he doesn't have a lot to do anyway in the film.

Just because it's considered a "love it or hate it" movie, doesn't mean everyone is forced to follow that.

Honestly, I thought it was... okay. And No, this isn't a cop out.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2013 at 7:02pm
Time to review one of the worst Christmas movies ever. Santa Claus Conquers The Martians has a reputation of being so bad it's good, but I disagree with this idea. This is going to be a 9 worst things review. Before I start, I will say one good thing: John Call is legitimately good as Santa himself.

9.) Chochem: Chochem is apparently the wisest man on Mars, but he's also incredibly annoying. What makes him so awful is his speaking pattern. There's a 3-second pause between every word that he says and it makes his one scene drag on. The only reason he's not higher us because of his limited screen-time.

8.) The polar bear scene: When the Martians are looking for Santa at the North Pole, a polar bear pops up for no reason. It doesn't menace them at all or do anything. Even more baffling about the scene is how awful the the polar bear costume looks. It's obviously a man in a suit. Then again, maybe I'm being too harsh; the film technically doesn't have a costume designer. It does have a custume designer, whatever that is.

7.) "Hooray for Santa Claus": The film opens and closes with one of the worst Christmas songs ever. Performed by Razzie heavyweight Pia Zadora, the song is like nails on a chalkboard. The only reason it's not the worst Christmas song ever is because The Christmas Shoes and Merry X-Mas (War Is Over)* exist.

6.) Annoying Martian children: The children from Mars are incredibly annoying, especially Girmar played by Zadora.

5.) Annoying Earth children: As bad as the Martian children are, at least they have a reason to be in the film. Billy and Betty have no reason to be in this film after the Martians nab Santa. But they inexplicably bring them along.

4.) Voldar's stupidity: The main villain of the film is Voldar who hates fun. He hates Santa because he doesn't want Martian children to have fun. Not only is he one of the most unimaginative movie villains ever, he's also a good candidate for one of the dumbest ever too. In one scene he kidnaps Dropo (I'll get to him in a minute) who's dressed up like Santa. He doesn't seem to realize that he's not Santa, even though his Martian antennae are clearly visible. The only way he could be worse is if a bunch of children beat him.

3.) Voldar gets beat up by a bunch of children: I know children's movies don't have to have great villains, but good lord they need to be better than this. When I say he gets beat up by children, I don't mean Home Alone style were the kids beat him up using tricks (although they start out using a trick); they straight up beat him and his fellow Martians in hand-to-hand combat. No, I'm not making any of this up.

2.) Torg: Torg is the Gort of the movie and saying that is a massive insult to The Day The Earth Stood Still. Hell, it's an insult to The Day Keanu Reeves' Face Stood Still too!!! His appearance is a step-down from Robot Monster's monster!!!!! He looks so awful, that even the polar bear custume looks great next to it.

1.) Dropo: He's the laziest man on Mars and also the most annoying. His actor Bill McCutcheon tries desperately to be the Danny Kaye of the '60s but fails miserably.

You know what would have been awesome? If this movie was made in Germany. Then it would have starred the Krampus and would have only been 20 minutes long.

My grade: D

Next-up: After Earth!!!

*Yes, I went there.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 5:47am
Me too. It currently ranks #9/78 in my All-Time Worst list.
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

Santa Claus Conquers The Martians has a reputation of being so bad it's good, but I disagree with this idea.
What do you mean?
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

*Yes, I went there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 41>