Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > Discussion & ADD'l Info on JOYFUL NOISE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

MEMBER DISCUSSION of JOYFUL NOISE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jgman182 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jgman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MEMBER DISCUSSION of JOYFUL NOISE
    Posted: February 24 2012 at 4:23pm
I think that Joyful Noise might be pushing it just a bit here... I mean, it wasn't the BEST movie of the year so far, but you have to remember that the movie really only got a 34% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 44 on Metacritic- while not great, it's also not that terrible. Now, if Good Deeds had a discussion going, I think we could finally give Tyler Perry the Razzie his movies deserve (I think Madea's funny, but the filler certainly isn't, and since Madea's not even in this one, there's no point). 

I rest my case at that, Head RAZZBerry, and I'm very much looking forward to your opinion on the matter.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 5:16pm
Click here to read the Movies With Mitch review.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2012 at 2:17pm
For me it's the other way around. While it's always interesting to hear new takes on songs, I didn't know it was a jukebox musical. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's obviously trying to attract the fans of GLEE, just like ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS.
billingsley View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote billingsley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2012 at 1:58pm
Roepers review believe it or not.... made me want to see this film even more. 
Honestly, I hate to say it, but I really do want to see Dolly Parton singing Chris Brown. not being sarcastic. Honeslty, it looks like a cute movie. It's not going to be a profound character study, and it will probably be simplistic. but it looks cute.
Worst Picture, Director & Script: Twilight
Actor: Nick Cage
Actress: K Stew
S. Actor: Ken Jeong
S. Actress: David Spade
Couple: Sandler and Sandler
Sequel: Hangover II
Ensemble: New Year's Eve cast
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2012 at 11:35am
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 2:51pm

Originally posted by whatsthepoint

Not very descriptive.
The video or the concensus? And why?
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 2:04pm
So, from the You-Didn't -Ask-Me-But-I'm-Going-to-Tell-You-Anyway corner: I have never really understood why a lot of people got so incredibly worked up over this whole series. I was never fond of any of the films (being old enough to have seen the first 3 in original release). At some level I suppose they are good "park your brains" entertainment, but there are glaring errors and nothing particularly original in any of them. I was personally appalled that after the mighty Empire managed to gain control over virtually the entire far, far away galaxy, the formidable forces of Darth Vader ultimately got their asses kicked by Teddy Bears. Yeah, right!  

Originally posted by oiram

HeadRazz, what do you think of Star Wars (No, I'm not trying to be angry, I'm just asking a simple question). 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Thanks for posting something positive -- and having the good sense of humor to joke about it!  

Of the six films George Lucas has made in the STAR WARS franchise, I would rate EMPIRE STRIKES BACK as my favorite, with the first film (EPISODE V) next, and RETURN OF THE JEDI third. But I'd have to say (given that they each received at least nominations for RAZZIES®) I thought all three of the "prequels" sucked to varying degrees. If you are asking where they rank among my all-time favorites, I don't think any of them would make my 100 Best of All Time list...  

So, from the you didn't ask me, but I'm going to tell you anyway corner, I have never really understood why a lot of people got so incredibly worked up over this whole series. I was never fond of any of the films (being old enough to have seen the first 3 in original release). At some level I suppose they are good "park your brains" entertainment, but there are glaring errors and nothing particularly original in any of them. I was personally appalled that after the mighty Empire managed to gain control over virtually the entire far, far away galaxy, the formidable forces of Darth Vader ultimately got their asses kicked by Teddy Bears. Yeah, right.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 1:41pm

Not very descriptive.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 10:08am
The concensus on this is: "The musical numbers are solidly entertaining, and it benefits from Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton's sizable chemistry. Unfortunately, they aren't enough to make up for the rest of the film".

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 6:05am
OK, after seeing this movie myself, I gotta say -- it's not that bad. Not great, obviously, but not too bad. If it only got one or two minor Razzie nominations (the biggest maybe being Worst Screen Couple for Latifah and Parton) I wouldn't mind. But really, I think we shouldn't spend too much time or energy on this one.  

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2012 at 6:12pm
The fact of the matter is that re-releases are not eligible! I don't even know why this is even up for discussion! And if we should present our points as to why the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy did or didn't deserve any RAZZIES, that's a slew of different forums. We have "Movies in General", "Talk Amongst Yourselves", and the forums for the 1999, 2002, and 2005 RAZZIES for that!

By the way, if I should suggest a film to keep our watch on for 2-10-012, it's Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. This sequel to A Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D (2008) is from the director of Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore (Bottom 40 Films of 2010, #14).

And Joyful Noise is down to a 39% approval rating. That's the peak maximum where I don't mind that it's a contender for our awards. But it has a below average score at Metacritic, so this should be limited to no more than 1 nomination, not for Worst Picture. Assuming the next review will be negative, the approval rating will lose another some 2%, and I'll have to eat some of my earlier words.  

Originally posted by whatsthepoint

Star Wars would be a lousy choice. None of the prequels even got bad reviews for godsakes (the nominations other than worst sequel - prequel and possibly worst screenplay were unwarranted in the first place). Maybe that week they should actually pick a movie with bad reviews?

whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2012 at 12:56pm
Star Wars would be a lousy choice. None of the prequels even got bad reviews for godsakes (the nominations other than worst sequel - prequel and possibly worst screenplay were unwarranted in the first place). Maybe that week they should actually pick a movie with bad reviews?

HeadRazz, what do you think of Star Wars (No, I'm not trying to be angry, I'm just asking a simple question). 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Thanks for posting something positive -- and having the good sense of humor to joke about it!  

Of the six films George Lucas has made in the STAR WARS franchise, I would rate EMPIRE STRIKES BACK as my favorite, with the first film (EPISODE V) next, and RETURN OF THE JEDI third. But I'd have to say (given that they each received at least nominations for RAZZIES®) I thought all three of the "prequels" sucked to varying degrees. If you are asking where they rank among my all-time favorites, I don't think any of them would make my 100 Best of All Time list...

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2012 at 8:47am
Roger Ebert gave this 1.5/4.
Originally posted by GTAHater767

Oh, and I vote NO on a forum for Contraband. The first 11 reviews on both sites say it's slightly above average.
I think we should wait until after CONTRABAND is released and then, if it's bad, it could be the Bonus Worst New Movie.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2012 at 3:33am

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2012 at 7:39pm
So far it's tied 7 to 7 at Rotten Tomatoes, and has a 52% at Metacritic based on 8 reviews. I doubt it'll sink much lower than that. I forget who suggested giving Joyful Noise a forum, but I feel like it's Watashi: 1, Anata: 0 after the crash of The Devil Inside. I knew by the fact that a recent film starring her non-majesty Queen Latifah, Just Wright (released on 5-14-010) got in the 50's in approval rating and review scores. I conclude this is not one of ours.

Next week, we have an obvious contender in Underworld: Awakening. Underworld was simply bad (as opposed to a severe monstrosity), but for starting a long-running franchise of films that were never good, it was named #25 on the Bottom 40 Films of 2003. I found an old list of contenders for that year, and Underworld was caps-locked. Underworld: Evolution was horrific, and earned a Dishonorable Mention on my Top & Bottom 40 Films of 2006. Rise of the Lycans was simply bad just like Underworld 1, but against the overwhelming competition, it only got a Dishonorable Mention as well, but for 2009. I sincerely hope Awakening will be one of ours...

EDIT: Oh, and I vote NO on a forum for Contraband. The first 11 reviews on both sites say it's slightly above average.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2012 at 3:41pm
I don't always post angry "screeds" -- Usually, I just post links to certain trailers or movie news if no one else has yet. 

I only get angry when I feel something needs to be said -- and the something I was trying to say is that sometimes you completely ignore what other people have to say, and just go by what YOU say.

PS: I still see no reason as to why you would leave someone off the ballot who has been suggested by many Forum members to be a possible nominee... 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Oiram -- Could you please, even if it's only once in a while, occasionally offer up a post that is not some kind of angry screed?? Also, I am getting tired of having to clarify that there is NO bribery involved in our Awards -- If there were, I'd be driving a 2012 BMW instead of a 2007 Pontiac Vibe. 

While I realize the very nature of the RAZZIES® invites some degree of cynicism from those attracted to it, your near total lack of perspective, and over-use of invective, are both, quite honestly, tiresome.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>