Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > PLAYING FOR KEEPS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Member Discussion: PLAYING FOR KEEPS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Member Discussion: PLAYING FOR KEEPS
    Posted: December 06 2012 at 9:31am
THOUGH HE's HARDLY in KEANU REEVES' LEAGUE WHEN IT COMES to DESERVING RAZZIE® "WINNERS" WHO'VE NEVER "WON" a RAZZIE®, IT IS SURPRISING THAT GERARD BUTLER HAS ONLY MADE IT into the FINAL FIVE CONTENDERS for WORST ACTOR ONCE. HE's CERTAINLY MADE HIS SHARE of STINKERS and CLINKERS...  

AND NOW WE CAN ADD to HIS LIST PLAYING FOR KEEPS, a BY-the-NUMBERS "ROMANTIC" COMEDY THAT, IN ADDITION to BUTLER, FEATURES SUCH PAST RAZZIE® NOMINEES as JESSICA BIEL, UMA THURMAN and CATHERINE ZETA-JONES.

AS for REVIEWS, THIS ONE SCORED a PERFECT ZERO from ITs FIRST EIGHT REVIEWS on ROTTEN TOMATOES, and LOOKS LIKELY to END UP BEING ONE of 2012's WORST-REVIEWED MOVIES. ITs BOX OFFICE PROSPECTS ALSO LOOK QUITE DIM, SINCE IT ONLY HAS ONE WEEKEND UNTIL SEVERAL OTHER, BETTER MOVIES OPEN to COMPETE WITH IT. 

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT: ALL the USUAL MAKINGS of a LIKELY RAZZIE® CONTENDER -- BUT IN a YEAR with as MANY RAZZIE® CONTENDERS as 2012 HAS PROVIDED SO FAR...WHO KNOWS?  

JUST for FUN, HERE's the LINK to SEE YE OLDE HEAD RAZZ-BERRY's FOT FUNNY for THIS FILM... 

HERE's the LINK to OUR FORUM INFO PAGE ON IT... 

AND RIGHT BELOW HERE IS WHERE to POST YER THOUGHTS, THUMPS and THEORIES ABOUT WHETHER THIS ONE WILL WIND UP AMONG the CHOZEN/FROZEN FEW... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 9:43am

For me, this is probably most eligible as Worst Actor for Gerard Butler (For This AND Chasing Mavericks) and Worst Actress for Jessica Biel (For This AND Total Recall). 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 12:28pm
Man, what happened to Gerard Butler? A few years ago, he was predicted to be the next big action star. Now, he's starring in bottom-feeder rom-coms.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 12:36pm
I'd also say Worst Supporting Actress, Uma Thurman (for this and BEL AMI).

Originally posted by oiram

For me, this is probably most eligible as Worst Actor for Gerard Butler (For This AND Chasing Mavericks) and Worst actress for Jessica Biel (For This AND Total Recall).

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 1:46pm
I remember last winter (February or March 2012) when I saw Gerard Butler's name on this. I was already familiar with him for the overrated Law-Abiding Citizen and the #2 worst film of 2010, The Bounty Hunter. I even remember Gamer, which didn't get a forum despite Butler's name attached to it on the RAZZIE nominations ballot back in September 2009.

Fast forward to the autumn of 2012 going on 2013, and now we've come to another baseball film. One of my co-workers agree baseball is dying. Ever since 2005, everyone's waited painfully for every baseball World Series to just end! People hardly even notice whenever the baseball series opens and closes anymore. In circa September, I started to doubt this would be one of ours. Just a month ago, it only had 2 reviews on Metacritic, both 40%. Now it's just a day to release, and it's a LOT worse than I imagined. Now I'm glad I saw this coming a while back.

As for who to nominate this for, I'd be satisfied if it's only for Jessica Biel because Total Recall [remake] was the worst of the three other films mentioned. This and Bel Ami 2012 for Uma Thurman would be okay. But if Gerard Butler should be nominated for this, hopefully it doesn't include Chasing Mavericks, because that was FAR better than Silent Hill: Revelation 3D.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 2:40pm
GTAhater, it's a football (or soccer in America)-movie not a baseball-movie....
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 5:17pm
Whoa! Aside from 1000 WORDS, this is the only movie this year with a 0% (and a consensus) on RT: "A witless, unfocused, arguably misogynistic, dispiriting, lowest-common-denominator Hollywood rom-com". Although the rating might go up a few notches, if it stays below 5%, it seems like it should be considered for multiple categories. 
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 5:32pm

Also, I've got another potential nominee: Dennis Quaid for this and WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE EXPECTING.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 5:35pm

MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 7:05am
Peter Travers gave it ZERO stars, Richard Roeper gave it an F -- this movie is making a strong case for getting a Worst Picture nomination...
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 8:06am
Yeah, specially since BREAKING DAWN PART 2 isn't a clear shoo-in anymore. Sorry, Miguel.
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 10:16pm
Gosh, the R.T. Rating on this has gotten all the way up to...

2%!  LOL      

2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 12:18pm
UPDATE from Head RAZZBerry: Not only did this bomb with crix (it's one of the year's Berry Worst-Reviewed Titles) it also bombed at the box office -- So spectacularly that the headline on today's L.A. Times article about weekend grosses gave this film's bombing equal space with SKYFALL's impressive climb up the Grosses Chart. Here's the LINK to read the Times' story...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Odyssey View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Odyssey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 5:30pm
I never thought this one would be THAT bad. Dead
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 3:56pm
You know, this is one of those movies so deserving that no one has ever seen.  When you mention the title, say who stars in it, give a summation and show a trailer, it doesn't inspire moviegoers to groan and escape like Oogieloves or Bucky Larson do.  That all said, Gerard Butler is an actor who can act who is squandering his career on P.S. I Love You, Nim's Island, The Ugly Truth, The Bounty Hunter and now this movie.

I blame Andrew Lloyd Webber for miscasting him in Phantom Of The Opera, but hey, that's just me. . . .

The lameness of this movie points to the lameness in general of romantic movies overall.   I wonder if in a day and age where you're likely to be asked to show your credit score and your STD test before any serious dating goes on, romance seems to be valued very lowly.  If so, then why do people complain about being in a boring marriage?  Yeah, that's another story. . . .
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 10:43am
Leopoldo Muńoz (2/7): "Gabriele Muccino manages to get from Butler a proper mix of divorced hunk and loner who sees his life slipping from his hands. He keeps the movie going. Aside from a lazy script, the low point of the movie is Biel. She's  forced and over-the-top".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>