Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > BROKEN CITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of BROKEN CITY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of BROKEN CITY
    Posted: January 20 2013 at 7:51am
IT's 2013's FIRST TRIPLE-THREAT RAZZIE® TITLE: 

BROKEN CITY GOT ROTTEN REVIEWS at ROTTEN TOMATOES...  

AND HAS MULTIPLE RAZZIE® REPEAT OFFENDERS in ITS CAST (MARK WAHLBERG and CATHERINE ZETA-JONES AMONG THEM)...

SO DOES THAT MEAN IT's OUR FIRST "SERIOUS CONTENDER" of the NEW YEAR??  

WE'RE WAITING to HEAR YOUR TAKE BELOW!  

TO HELP FIRE YOUR IRE, HERE's the LINK to Ye Olde Head RAZZberry's FOTO FUNNY for THIS FILM...  

...AND HERE's the LINK to OUR FORUM INFO PAGE ON IT. 

BY the TIME WE'RE DONE, THIS ONE SHOULD BE BERRY BROKEN, INDEED!!  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
davecampbell View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote davecampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 8:25am
It may make me seem like a spoilsport, but I feel like I gotta ask: Who's even going to remember this movie a year from now (when the 2013 nominating ballot comes out)?  

The Devil Inside, which had everything that should be necessary to get Razzie nominations, came out around this same time a year ago...and wound up with ZERO Razzie nods!  
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 8:34am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: While the argument above may have merit (I, too, was surprised that DEVIL INSIDE came away "nomination free") I hardly think it's an excuse to ignore this film. As I mentioned in my entry atop this page, BROKEN CITY qualifies on all three basic criteria to be considered as "one of ours" (Rotten reviews, weak box office and a cast including multiple past RAZZIE® nominees). 

What our Voting Members choose to do in regards to nominating it for anything 12 months from now is not really a valid consideration at this time... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 12:41pm
I know this forum is more about the lost money, but... on Metacritic, more than half the reviews are mixed rather than negative. From there, the consensus attached to the Tomatometer says that like Battleship, people are bound to like it if they're easy to satisfy, so those redeeming factors must've come on those critics' own terms. Texas Chainsaw 3D and A Haunted House got worse reviews. Even if they didn't lose as much money, are they still being considered serious RAZZIE contenders as well? A Haunted House stars (beep)ing Marlon Wayans, Cedric The Entertainer, and a few others with RAZZIE histories!

Alas, I think Mark Wahlberg will probably need to star in another RAZZberry of a film to be a shoo-in for Worst Actor. I doubt this alone will seal the deal.

In 5 days, I'll have my eye on the reviews for Movie 43. If that gets panned by critics, it's gonna be a shoo-in for Worst Ensemble Cast!
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Jly 25; Ratner's Hercules, Besson's Lucy. Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 1:38pm
Is it just me, or do others keep mistaking Russell Crowe for Kyle Chandler on the promos and pictures for this?
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 2:18pm
R.T. (25%): "The thinly sketched, formulaic script offers meager rewards for all but the least demanding noir aficionados".

Also, will any of the member started forums be upgraded?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I already addressed the question about "up-grading" Member-Started Forums to "Official Forum" status -- the simply answer is "no." They will, of course, continue to be linked in GOLD/BOLD font from our 2013 Eligible Releases List -- that have to suffice for now. 

And, to answer a question from another post -- Yes, A HAUNTED HOUSE and TEXAS CHAINSAW 3-D do (at this extremely early point in the year) look like "serious contenders" for RAZZIE® consideration... 

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 3:27pm
Oh come on -- I can tell them apart!  

Originally posted by jesse685

Is it just me or do others keep mistaking Russell Crowe for Kyle Chandler on the promos and pictures for this?

Also, Headrazz, you forgot to mention that Battlefield Earth Razzie "winner" Barry Pepper has a small role in this.

Originally posted by GTAHater767

]In 5 days, I'll have my eye on the reviews for Movie 43. If that gets panned by critics, it's gonna be a shoo-in for Worst Ensemble Cast!

...and Worst Supporting Actress for Kate Winslet?  

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:43pm
Though I do agree with Head Razz on not ignoring the film, it still would be difficult for voting members to remember the movie by the time Ballots are sent out. I kind of feel the same way about Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters. Still, I do think "Broken City" deserves at least two nominations. Worst Supporting Actor (Russell Crowe) and Worst Actor (Mark Wahlberg). We know both actors can do SO much better.
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 11:09am
Just saw this. It was incredibly boring. None of the actors cared about it, especially Catherine Zeta-Jones. The only Razzie nominations I see this getting are Worst Actor for Mark Wahlberg (also for 2 Guns and maybe Pain And Gain) and Worst Supporting Actress for Zeta-Jones. Grade: C
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 11:13am
2 Guns isn't out yet.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 11:57am
SchumacherH8ter, what grade did you give it?
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 7:47pm
oiram, I know 2 Guns isn't out yet. I added it because the trailer didn't look very promising.

Vits, I added my grade.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 1:22pm
I just saw it. I don't think it should be nominated for anything.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 2:00pm
Why is that, Vits?

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 6:26am
I thought it was decent. If I had seen it when it came out, I would've told people "Go ahead and see it. There are worse ways to spend 100 minutes. Specially with all the January crap".
 Post Reply Post Reply