Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > THE HOST (from Stephenie Meyer!)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of THE HOST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of THE HOST
    Posted: March 28 2013 at 5:33am

TO US, STEPHENIE MEYER's WRITING IS the LITERARY EQUIVALENT of LICORICE -- PEOPLE WHO LIKE IT REALLY LIKE IT...BUT the REST of US DON'T GET WHAT THERE IS to EVEN LIKE.

WITH HER TWILIGHT NOVELS and FILMS, MEYER STAKED OUT a PLACE AS ONE of the 21st CENTURY's BEST-SELLING (and MOST WIDELY DERIDED) AUTHORS. SO, OF COURSE, ANYTHING BESIDES TWILIGHT THAT SHE WROTE WOULD BE ASSUMED to HAVE HUGE BOX OFFICE POTENTIAL.

BUT the LATEST MOVIE from a MEYER BOOK, THE HOST, COULD GO EITHER WAY BOX OFFICE-WISE:
R.T. REVIEWS HAVE BEEN FAIRLY BRUTAL, GIVING the FILM a ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING ABOUT  50% LOWER THAN the FINAL (and MUTLIPLE RAZZIE "WINNING"TWILIGHT MOVIE. 

PLUS, ADVANCE WORD-of-MOUTH (IF IMDb POSTINGS ARE ANY INDICATION) IS TEPID at BEST. 

THE PLOT APPEARS to BE an "HOMAGE" (WHICH, WE LIKE to POINT OUT, IS a FRENCH WORD for "RIP-OFF") of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS -- THE "TWIST" HERE BEING THAT, AS SEEMS to BE the CASE WITH ALL of MEYER's WORKS, EVERYONE AFFECTED by the PLOT LOOKS LIKE a SUPERMODEL...and SEEMS to HAVE the ACTING TALENTS of ONE. 

SO, IS THE HOST YET ANOTHER EXCUSE for US to RAZZ SOMETHING ALL THOSE 13 and 53 YEAR OLD FEMALE MEYER FANS WILL LOATHE US for MAKING FUN OF??

GIVE US YOUR TAKE BELOW...

TO GIVE YOU INFO (and AMMO) for YOUR POST, HERE's the LINK for OUR FORUM INFO PAGE on the FILM...  

...and, to HOPEFULLY GIVE YOU a CHUCKLE, HERE's the LINK for OUR FOTO FUNNY on the FILM.  

NOW IT's TIME for YOU to THANK YOUR "HOST"....and POST!

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 5:57am
WOW! That was QUICK! Anyways, I knew that this was not going to turn out well, not just because of Meyer, but also because of the writer/director Andrew Niccol. His last movie was also his first truly awful one, In Time, so that old saying lives on.*

Poor Oscar nominated Saoirse Ronan, I guess you are getting a possible Lindsay Lohan I Know You Killed Me type nomination this year.

You know, I just thought of something: Jeremy Irons was in Beautiful Creatures, which did not get the best of reviews. His son, Max Irons, is in THIS movie as one of the love interests.

Could Jeremy and Max both be candidates for Worst Supporting Actor?

*The old saying I am talking about is "You are only as good as your last movie."
EDIT: I know this is a little off topic, but G.I. Joe: Retaliation is now down at a 39%. That is not a good sign.

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 7:01am
Yes! 3 forums in one week!

I have the feeling that even "Twi-Hards" have doubts about this movie -- They're probably thinking, "Another Stephanie Meyer movie? Isn't it too soon?".

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

THE PLOT APPEARS to BE an "HOMAGE" (WHICH, WE LIKE to POINT OUT, IS a FRENCH WORD for "RIP-OFF") of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS -- THE "TWIST" HERE BEING THAT, AS SEEMS to BE the CASE WITH ALL of MEYER's WORKS, EVERYONE AFFECTED by the PLOT LOOKS LIKE a SUPERMODEL...and SEEMS to HAVE the ACTING TALENTS of ONE.

This also reminds of the recent remake of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. By playing an alien, Keanu Reeves had the perfect excuse to be bland. This movie might give that same excuse to its cast, depending on how much Diane Kruger, Frances Fisher and William Hurt want to be a part of this.

By the way, Emily Browning (who was in major Razzie consideration back in 2011), is also in this movie. But I think it's just a cameo role.  

Originally posted by oiram

I knew that this was not going to turn out well, not just because of Meyer, but also because of the writer/director Andrew Niccol. His last movie was also his first truly awful one, In Time

Is Niccol a 1-hit wonder (as a director, I mean). After writing and directing GATTACA, he only wrote (but did not direct) TRUMAN SHOW. Since then, the only good movies he's worked on (THE TERMINAL and LORD OF WAR) weren't as mind-challenging as those first films. Whenever he's tried to make anything like his first movies, he disappointed: S1M0NE, the aforemented IN TIME, and now this. 

Poor Oscar nominated Saoirse Ronan, I guess you are getting a possible Lindsay Lohan I Know You Killed Me type nomination this year.

If she can still be good in bad movies like THE LOVELY BONES, maybe she can save this. 

EDIT: I know this is a little off topic, but G.I. Joe: Retaliation is now down at a 39%. That is not a good sign.

I think 4 new Official Forums in just one week is too much to ask. Maybe it can be the Worst Leftover Movie next week? With EVIL DEAD and TRANCE getting early positive reviews, it seems like there may not be a new "bad movie" next week. 

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 7:42am
I didn't DEMAND Headrazz to make a Forum now, I was just letting him know that the G.I. Joe: Retaliation's reviews were not as positive as they had originally seemed.

Of course, he can do a Forum on it next week... 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

krisstewart View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote krisstewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 5:07am
As a fan of Stephenie Meyer's fine works of fiction, I am offended that you Razzie jerks seem to pick on everything the woman does. With no more Twilight movies to look forward to this year, I expect The Host will be one of my favorite movies of 2013 -- and you people can all go off and play with yourselves (which I'm sure you are all accustomed to doing)!

davecampbell View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote davecampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 5:13am
KrisStewart: As your Username clearly implies, you are obsessed with Meyer and the awful TWILIGHT movies made from her piddling works of fiction. Yes, TWILIGHT does have a loyal and vocal fan-base, but that speaks more to the middling minds of her many minions than it does to the quality of what Meyer writes. At one point earlier in the week, HOST got all they way down to 6% positive (aka 94% NEGATIVE) at R.T. 

We here at the Razzies are hardly alone in our disdain for what you hold so dear.  You have every right to adore drek -- But we have every right to disagree with you.
Grounder the Critic View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 5:20am
TROL-L-L-L-L-L-L-L!!!

Originally posted by krisstewart

As a fan of Stephenie Meyer's fine works of fiction, I am offended that you Razzie jerks seem to pick on everything the woman does. With no more Twilight movies to look forward to this year, I expect The Host will be one of my favorite movies of 2013 -- and you people can all go off and play with yourselves (which I'm sure you are all accustomed to doing)!
Pictures move, do they?
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 5:29am
Grounder, the next chance you get, you should have used this clip:

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 5:31am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I actually (and somewhat grudgingly) find KrisStewart's devotion to her "favorite author" somewhat endearing, and her bothering to come here and spew venom at us for disagreeing w/her somewhat courageous (as well as being somewhat pointless). 

With about 90% of the critics at R.T. being on our side of the argument (at least where THE HOST is concerned) I am curious to see if there are more movie-goers devoted to Stephenie Meyer...or to actual good movie-making. 

Guess we'll have our answer by Monday morning! 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
davecampbell View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote davecampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 5:39am
On the question of whether this film will get anywhere near the box office numbers of the TWILIGHT movies, here's the L.A. Times' prediction (and they're usually pretty accurate): 

"Heading for a likely fourth-place finish is the ‍supernatural/sci-fi tale ‘The Host, the first cinematic adaptation from “Twilight” author Stephenie Meyer not connected to her vampire blockbuster. Directed by Andrew Niccol and costing an estimated $50 million, “The Host,” which stars Saoirse Ronan as a young woman who refuses to let an alien invader take over her mind, is forecast to open with $15 million to $18 million for independent studio Open Road." 

Bottom line, this looks likely to do okay, but hardly spectacularly, at the ticket window. 

So KrisStewart won't be totally alone in the theater when she goes three times to see it this weekend...but she won't have to worry about finding an empty seat, either!

mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 8:24am
If you really feel the need to fool people, you should do it more subtly.  

Originally posted by krisstewart

As a fan of Stephenie Meyer's fine works of fiction

Regarding Saturnwatcher's argument about how people reacted with bias against Twilight, I've decided to approach The Host in a different way. Here are a few things I wanted to say about my first impressions.

I have tried to avoid all spoilers about this movie to make up my mind completely, and up until yesterday I knew next to nothing about it apart from it containing aliens and being written for teen girls. Unforturnately, while checking the RT meter, I cought a glimpse of a critic's headline that contained a major spoiler, so my little project is ruined.
I'll still write down the thoughts I had after watching the teaser:
- Whoever watched Saoirse Ronan in Atonement knows, she nailed it
- Diane Kruger is a beauty, whom I liked in Inglorious Basterds
- Jake Abel made for a lukewarm Luke before
- Max Irons is relatively uninteresting after Red Riding Hood, but whatever
- just from visuals, that helicopter scene looked ok

I really wanted to go in there open minded, and see if the RT rating/dooming of Meyer was righteously bad. However, I've already lost interest now knowing it's a lovetriangle again.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 12:32pm
KrisStewart: This forum wasn't created until after reviews at Rotten Tomatoes were about 90% negative, so I hardly think we can be accused of "picking on" this film.

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 8:57am
Dave, seems like L.A. Times was  off. Estimates at Newer Box Office are lower:  

"The last of this weekend's wide openers, The Host came in with $5.5 million on Friday. That's in between comparable films such as 2010's I Am Number Four ($6.2 million) and 2011's Hanna ($4.2 million), though arguably more disappointing when considering the high profile status given to The Host through Stephanie Meyer's authorial credit in a post-Twilight market. We're projecting a $13.2 million weekend for the teen-friendly flick."
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 10:33am
After watching this I am now convinced that it is definitely worthy of Razzie nominations. 

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Worst Picture: This movie is quite tiresome. Many would need someone beside them to wake them up as the movie's boredom is prevalent from start to finish. The writing and direction are the biggest culprits in this movie's poor quality. 

Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel: Those who have watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers will be keen to nominate for this category. 

Worst Director: Andrew Niccol should be considered. He made little, if any, effort to lift the movie above the level 'boring and tiresome'. All he did was put one uninteresting scene after another. 

Worst Screenplay: Andrew Niccol, again. As if poor directing was bad enough he also wrote the dull screenplay. He did not give the cast a script needed to engage those who actually think. Too much emphasis has been placed on the whole 'love triangle' and not enough on the idea of Earth being invaded and occupied. Then there is some of the cheesy, daytime soap opera dialogue the cast is forced to endure, especially in the love triangle scenes. The screenplay adaption also seemed to condone abusive behavior the free humans displayed (aren't we supposed to be on their side?). 

As for the (overly) dedicated Stephenie Meyer fans who feel compelled to lash out as us. Some people prefer to do something many choose not to do. What's it called?...........Thinking. 
Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 4:15pm
This was one of the last movies reviewed by Roger Ebert before he passed away last week.

Dun-Ida View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 1:49am
The Rotten Tomatoes rating is now 9%. 

Ouch! Dead

Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>