Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > THE BIG WEDDING
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of BIG WEDDING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of BIG WEDDING
    Posted: April 24 2013 at 4:24pm

THIS WHOLE "LASSO a PASSLE o' STARS 'n' MAKE a MEDIOCRE MOVIE" TREND HAS GONE TOO FAR. 

VALENTINE's DAY WAS AWFUL. 

NEW YEAR's EVE WAS EVEN WORSE. 

AND NOW, with THE BIG WEDDING,  THEY'RE ROPING in ACTORS WHO (AT LEAST a LONG TIME AGO) ARE/WERE ACTUALLY GOOD. OSCAR-WINNING FOLKS LIKE ROBERT deNIRO, ROBIN WILLIAMS, SUSAN SARANDON and DIANE KEATON...SURE, THEY'VE ALL DONE CRAPPY MOVIES BEFORE (AND SOME of 'EM HAVE BEEN RAZZIE® NOMINEES BEFORE!) BUT THEY'VE NEVER ALL BEEN in ONE BAD MOVIE at ONCE...UNTIL NOW!  

THE CAST DOES ALSO INCLUDE SUCH PAST RAZZIE® CONTENDERS as KATHERINE (HOW HAVE I NOT "WON" a RAZZIE® YET?) HEIGL and AMANDA ("MAMMA MIA, THAT's SOME BLAND ACTRESS!") SEYFRIED, BUT STILL...

...ALSO, WE FOUND OUT (THANKS to FORUM MEMBER OIRAM) THAT THIS HUNKA CLUNK ISN'T EVEN an ORIGINAL SCRIPT -- IT's a REMAKE of a FRENCH FARCE from a FEW YEARS BACK (and WE ALL KNOW HOW WELL THOSE TURN OUT!). 

SO, UNLESS IT's COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN by YEAR's END (and, HONESTLY, IT LOOKS GENERIC ENOUGH to BE COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN by WEEK's END!) THIS ONE LOOKS LIKE a FORMAL INVITATION to START RAZZing...

IF ANYONE KNOWS JUST CAUSE WHY THIS FILM SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN RAZZIE® CONSIDERATION, SPEAK NOW or FOREVER HOLD YOUR REESE's PIECES...

IN OTHER WORDS, FEEL FREE to "PUKE on the BRIDE" BELOW...

JUST for FUN, HERE's the LINK to OUR FORUM INFO PAGE on THIS FILM... 

...and HERE's the LINK to CHECK OUT YE OLDE HEAD RAZZ-BERRY's FOTO FUNNY for IT...

ENJOY!  

* P.S. Thanks to Oiram for Providing the YouTube/Trailer LINK Above... 
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 4:58pm
As I said days ago, DeNiro is overdue for an acting Razzie. So are Keaton and Williams. Their schticks have become annoying. I just hope Heigl doesn't think her career is back on track just because she's working with all these stars. She still needs to get out of her comfort zone and be more grateful to the people she works with.

I was beginning to think Seyfried's career was almost over. Since she became a star in MAMMA MIA!, she hadn't done any good movie whatsoever. And then came LES MIS, in which she was quite good. And now she's in this. Is she trying to dissapoint us?

The only one I can forgive is Susan Sarandon. Unlike her co-stars, she has balanced her career this millenium by being in good movies as well.

The cast also includes Topher Grace (who hasn't had a big career despite being so damn likeable) and Ben Barnes (after his big break in PRINCE CASPIAN, he starred in the 134th adaptation of DORIAN GRAY (I gave it a 4/10) and critics hated his performance (I actually blamed the script for writing his character in such an inconsistent way)).
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

THIS WHOLE "LASSO a PASSLE o' STARS 'n' MAKE a MEDIOCRE MOVIE" TREND HAS GONE TOO FAR. 

VALENTINE's DAY WAS AWFUL. 

NEW YEAR's EVE WAS EVEN WORSE.
And let's not forget MOVIE 43.

IT's a REMAKE of a FRENCH FARCE from a FEW YEARS BACK (and WE ALL KNOW HOW WELL THOSE TURN OUT!).
What's odd is that Hollywood usually remakes foreign hits. Almost nobody outside of France saw MON FRČRE SE MARIE. There aren't even enough reviews online to make a concensus.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 6:10pm
HEADRAZZ: Thank you for the shout out, I feel honored.

VITS: Movie 43 technically doesn't count because it is not exactly a "romantic" comedy.

So yeah, bland, uninteresting, and pretty much star-studded in an attempt to make up for those facts, The Big Wedding looks like a meh mess.

Robert De Niro has two other movies coming out this year, one called Malavita, written and directed by Luc Besson and co-starring Michelle Pfeiffer, Tommy Lee Jones, and Diana Agron. The other being Last Vegas, an old man version of The Hangover in a sense. It is written by Dan Fogelman, directed by Jon Turteltaub, and co-starring Michael Douglas, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Kline, Mary Steenburgen, Jerry Ferrara, and 50 Cent.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 5:09am
Oh, I forgot to ask. Diane Keaton I would think is the main actress considering the premise, but Katherine Heigl is noticeably the next name after De Niro's in the trailers and posters, then Keaton's name follows. Should we have BOTH Keaton and Heigl as Worst Actress?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 6:12am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: On the question of whether billing order in paid ads is any indication of screen time given each actor, here's a LINK to see a large image of this film's poster. It appears that deNiro, Heigl, Keaton and Seyfried are listed alphabetically, more an indication of contract negotiations than screen time. Sarandon and Williams (both with "and" billing, suggesting their roles may be glorified cameos) are also alphabetical. The "group photo" used as the poster image also implies, by her position next to the gloomy groom, that Heigl is playing his mother. Topher Grace seems to be the "best man." The poster also makes me wonder who Christine Ebersol's agent is -- She's the only actor whose face appears without her name being mentioned above the title. 

But to determine for sure who belongs in which RAZZIE® category (should this till be a "contender" come year's end) we'll have to actually see the movie...UGH!

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 6:19am
P.S. from Head RAZZberry: Just remembered another example of the "Lasso a Passle o' Stars/Rom-Com" genre -- last year's WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE EXPECTING (which had a couple of Worst Supporting Actress nomz, but didn't "win" anything)... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 7:49am
Not necessarily. The "And" and "With" billings are usually given to stars to give them emphasis -- even when there are other stars of "equal stature" in the cast. Actually, the trailer made it seem like Sarandon might be in the movie as much as Keaton.

Sarandon and Williams (both with "and" billing, suggesting their roles may be glorified cameos) are also alphabetical.

The poster also makes me wonder who Christine Ebersol's agent is -- She's the only actor whose face appears without her name being mentioned above the title.

I think it's because she isn't a "name star."

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 8:43am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The "and" billing often refers to cameo roles (such as "and So-and-So as The President") so my point is still somewhat valid about Sarandon and Williams. As for Ebersole being shown but not billed on the poster, I wasn't arguing she's a "name star," I was just questioning why they would depict her and then not bother to bill her -- It seems odd, to say the least. If they think no one knows who she is (and I'd argue her face is at least recognizable to a fair number of people) what is the point of putting her on the poster at all?? 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 11:36am
HOLY CRAP, IT'S STARTING OFF AT A ZERO!!!

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 12:27pm
It's always good when an obviously terrible looking movie gets really terrible reviews.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 5:45pm
R.T. (5-10%): "The all-star cast is stranded in a contrived, strained plot that features broad stabs at humor, but few laughs."  

Dun-Ida View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 4:04pm
Now that I endured this "comedy" here is my recommendations for nominations:

Worst Picture: This movie has a few mild laughs but nothing to make this comedy funny. 

Worst Supporting Actor: Ben Barnes as groom-to-be Alejandro. He used too many blank stares in this movie. I only noticed because this movie was not funny. 

Worst Supporting Actress: Ana Ayora should not be overlooked. Being hot is no excuse for a wooden performance. Just like Ben Barnes all she did was say the lines of the script as if she was reading a novel in a school classroom. 

Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel: This mostly unfunny movie is a remake/rip-off of "Mon frčre se marie", a comedy made by the French and French Swiss. 

Hollywood are ripping of the Swiss now? The French, the British, the Canadians, the Swedish, the Australians ("I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" is a rip-off of "Strange Bedfellows") and several others I cannot think of. If Earth was ever visited by aliens Hollywood will start remaking/ripping off the aliens' culture. 

Worst Director: Justin Zackham deserves condemnation. If you were not impressed by the cast you can put some of the blame on this director. Poor direction often has some effect on the performance of the actors. 

Worst Screenplay: Justin Zackham (again). Just like M. Night Shyamalan he combines poor directing with poor writing. Like I said before the "funny" scenes are mostly unfunny and in some cases annoying. 

Worst Screen Couple: Topher Grace and Ana Ayora. I like Topher Grace but I have no choice but to recommend him and Ayora as worst screen couple. Here is why SPOILER ALERT, SPOILER ALERT: 

Jared (Grace) ends up with Nuria (Ayora), the sister of Jared's adopted brother. ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Dun-Ida

Ana Ayora should not be overlooked.
Does the fact that you used that word and that you recommended the less known actors of the movie mean that you want voters to pay attention to them as well? As in, you also hated the big stars? If so, which ones?
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 1:20am
I used the phrase "should not be overlooked," meaning that she should be considered for an individual nomination, in addition to the others I had recommended...    

Originally posted by Vits

Originally posted by Dun-Ida

Ana Ayora should not be overlooked.
Does the fact that you used that word and that you recommended the less known actors of the movie mean that you want voters to pay attention to them as well? As in, you also hated the big stars? If so, which ones?

Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 11:40pm
Movies like "Valentine's Day, "New Year's Eve", "What to Expect when you're Expecting and "The Big Wedding," where all these stars are together on screen for maybe 5 to 10 minutes at a time, don't work for anybody. 

I think maybe the studios think that if they just put a lot of A-listers on screen at once, then everybody will be distracted and not want any story. 

Hey, Hollywood: We are not idiotic...we know when any story is missing from a film!

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
kelemenmarc View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote kelemenmarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 9:31am
For Your Consideration:

WORST PICTURE
WORST SCREENPLAY
WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Robert De Niro
WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Robin Williams
WORST CAST
FYC:
Worst Movie: The Bounty Hunter
Worst Actor: Johnny Depp (Alice in Wonderland / The Tourist)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>