Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Talk Amongst Yourselves
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A really bad case of Writer's block

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A really bad case of Writer's block
    Posted: May 19 2013 at 1:13pm
As you guys might've noticed, it's been a few days since I really posted anything about any movie, good or bad. From time to time, I have a bad case of Writer's block. It's not necessarily about having nothing to write about, but more like I have no real motivation. 

Does anyone know how to get out of these dry spells?? Any advice or help will be much appreciated.

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 3:20pm
My tips to cure writer's block (most of which I invented) are specifically for writing fiction, so I can't help you there. 

As for the Forum, I just have to wait until I've watched a movie, and then post a comment. That's what we all do here.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 3:30pm
Oh I write fiction too, so I would love tips :)
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 3:45pm
Well... As many people know, inspiration comes when you're not looking for it. When you're asked to write something, you can't force the inspiration. So what I do is that I ask myself "What genre do I wanna write? Fiction or non-fiction? Comedy or drama?". And then "What sub-genre do I wanna write?". And then I write down issues I've experienced, but only the ones I know the solutions to. If these are solutions that you ask people about and they say "Yes, that could work", but they never thought of them until you mentioned it to them, then it's better. This way, you have a message for your story. That's a good way to start.

If you want to listen to famous writers, you can use take the issue and build fantastic/surreal/bizarre elements around it, in order to convey the message through metaphors and allegories. Philip K. Dick and Dr. Seuss are good examples of this.

If you don't want a story with any kind of message, then skip the last couple of steps. But the first steps can still help you.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 4:13pm
That's the main reason why, from time to time, that I don't post here that often -- probably because I'm lacking the motivation to write anything here... 

"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
 Post Reply Post Reply