Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > B.O. MoJo's ANNUAL BOX OFFICE CHART for 2013
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

WHATZ BIN HOT...and WHAT WUZ N-O-T in 2013?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHATZ BIN HOT...and WHAT WUZ N-O-T in 2013?!?
    Posted: June 17 2013 at 6:55am
ONE of OUR MAIN CRITERIA for CHOOSING OUR RAZZIE® CONTENDERS is BOX OFFICE -- and WHAT BETTER WAY to ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THAN with a LINK to B.O. MoJo's YEARLY CHART of the YEAR's BIGGEST (and BADDEST) BOX OFFICE CHAMPS & CHUMPS?

JUST AFTER NEW YEAR's, 2013's #1 MONEY-MAKER SWITCHED from IRON MAN 3 to BEING HUNGER GAMES CATCHING FIRE (the ONLY TWO 2013 TITLES to TOP $400 MILLION at the DOMESTIC BOX OFFICE). BUT ONE THING's CERTAIN: ANYTHING THAT OPENS as a BOMB...STAYS a BOMB! 

HERE's THAT LINK AGAIN to CHECK OUT MoJo's 2013 YEARLY CHART.

WE ALSO WELCOME YOU to POST ANY COMMENTS YOU MAY HAVE BELOW...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 7:00am
I think After Earth is still the biggest bomb, because it cost SO MUCH to make.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 8:03am
Agreed, but after having seen the trailers for The Lone Ranger (and it's expansive-looking over-the-top special-effects) I think it might take After Earth's place as the biggest bomb of the summer.
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 8:40am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I agree with Vheid -- LONE RANGER cost about twice what AFTER EARTH did (estimates run as high as $250 million - LINK) and since it stars Johnny Depp (who rarely has B.O. Bombs) if it were to tank, RANGER would have to be considered the bigger blowout. Also, given that it's arguably a remake of TWO previous RAZZIE® "winners" (1981's LEGEND OF THE LONE RANGER and, inadvertently, our 1999 Worst Picture "winner" WILD WILD WEST) I think "Depp's dog" has an arguably better "RAZZIE® pedigree" than EARTH does... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 11:11am
Didn't you predict Great Gatsby was going to bomb?

RESPONSE from HeadRAZZBerry: Yes, based on industry predictions, I did -- And though it didn't technically "bomb," it still cost a sh*tload to produce and is just now heading into profit (the usual formula is that a movie must make 3x its budget before it even makes back its cost -- GATSBY apparently cost about $105 million to make, and has just broken $300 million worldwide: B.O. MoJo LINK).   

But what has GATSBY got to do with this discussion??  

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 12:17pm
An example of why you and Vheid might not be exactly right about the Lone Ranger's prospects. I'm not saying I'm right -- I'm saying don't be so sure until the movie actually comes out.

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 5:55pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Actually, when the material culled for a film's trailer -- which obviously ought to be the best material in the film -- is as piss-poor as what Disney has been showing in their promotional materials for LONE RANGER (materials which, alarmingly, call to mind what used to be Will Smith's Biggest B.O. Bomb, WILD WILD WEST) then it's not exactly unreasonable to assume that the film itself is likely to disappoint. 

Add in the fact that my 17-year-old son (who is the film's target audience) has repeatedly told me that "no one" his age even has any idea who "The Lone Ranger" is, and that he and most of his friends have "no interest at all" in seeing the film, and I'd say Vheid's and my dire predictions are, at the berry least, not entirely unfounded... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 6:25pm
Another factor in any film's success is which movies are its box office competition. Especially when more than one is being released in the same week. 

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 6:56pm
The Lone Ranger is going up against Despicable Me 2, which is a sequel to a film that grossed over $250 million and is still fondly recalled by many of the children who saw it -- children who are still in the film's demographic. So, I agree with HeadRAZZ and Vheid about The Lone Ranger being a possible bomb.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 8:54pm
I always predicted that Lone Ranger wouldn't do really well. I'm not sure if it will bomb, but not very many people even know what the hell "Lone Ranger" is. I mean, wasn't it a TV show made like in the late 40's or early 50's?
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 9:47pm
Actually, The Lone Ranger started out as a radio show in 1933. The TV show ran from 1949 to 1957.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 9:53pm
My point proven: I know some things are "timeless," but not everything is. There might've been an audience for Lone Ranger then, but that doesn't mean there's an audience for it now. A great example of this would be "Speed Racer"... 

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Kenjifujima View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kenjifujima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 7:07am
Another factor against Lone Ranger that everyone seems to be avoiding is the backlash Johnny Depp is likely to encounter as a "white" man portraying what is supposed to be a Native American character. Intentionally or not, this casting is a "throwback" to "the bad old days" when Caucasian movie stars like Charlton Heston, Rock Hudson, Chuck Connors and others did the same. The fact that Depp's performance is meant to be farcical (which the dead bird on his head makes immediately obvious) will only slightly blunt the avalanche of criticism I expect is coming. It also makes it legitimate to question Depp's even agreeing to participate in the project... 

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 7:12am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I was wondering how long it would take for the whole "White Guy Playing a Native American" thing to come up. In fact, one of the entries in my first book EVERYTHING I KNOW I LEARNED AT THE MOVIES addressed this very issue (accompanied by a photo of Heston from THE SAVAGE -- See below).

My sense of the quirky process by which Johnny Depp selects his roles leads me to think the challenge of "pulling off" the casting may have been part of LONE RANGER's appeal to Depp. But unless it's directly (and humorously) addressed in the film, it is arguably yet another negative factor for its box office prospects... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 8:27am
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: I found the above photo of Heston as a "Native American" so amusing that I decided to Google Rock Hudson in TAZA: SON OF CHOCHISE. Here's one of the images that came up (it looks like he's wearing Morticia's wig from THE ADDAMS FAMILY):

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Kenjifujima View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kenjifujima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 8:35am
Okay, HeadRazz, here's an image of the last of the 3 "White Guys Playing Native Americans" I mentioned above -- Chuck Connors in Geronimo... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>