Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > THE LONE RANGER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of LONE RANGER (2013)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of LONE RANGER (2013)
    Posted: July 19 2014 at 2:06pm
My comment (skip to 02:40):

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Lydell View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lydell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

This negative review didn't mention the production woes or budget. Nether did this one. Or this one. Or this one. Or this one.

Still don't see much actual movie critic in those other than a general "I found the story silly." Which falls a bit short for a critic.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 2:12pm
People disliked it because of its lack of qualities. It has good special effects, but that's not enough.
Originally posted by Lydell

The only reason it should have its place in the Razzies would be because of how many people disliked it. Surely not for its lack of qualities.

It's not uncommon for critics to mention the history of how the movie got made. But it's not to be mean or to show that they've been ready to give it a bad review. They simply state facts. That's also why they describe the premise of the movie and mention which character is played by which actor (even though anyone can read those things anywhere else). Most of the reviews for ENOUGH SAID mentioned Gandolfini's death.
Originally posted by Lydell

I challenge you to go to Rotten Tomatoes and read all the critics and find me one where the movie is bashed on purely for its lack of cinematic qualities, such as the directing, the filming, the cinematography, the choreography of action scenes, the plot,... I won't hold my breath, though -- cause I failed to find any.

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 2:02pm
This negative review didn't mention the production woes or budget. Nether did this one. Or this one. Or this one. Or this one.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Lydell View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lydell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 1:03pm
What Hammer said about how critics bashed the movie not for what's in it but for how it was made... If you believe that makes him an idiot, I challenge you to go to Rotten Tomatoes and read all the critics and find me one where the movie is bashed on purely for its lack of cinematic qualities, such as the directing, the filming, the cinematography, the choreography of action scenes, the plot,... I won't hold my breath, though -- cause I failed to find any.  

Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer are also idiots.

Lydell View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lydell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 12:33pm
Mad Movies, french magazine of excellent repute that covers fantasy, horror and science-fiction cinema, lists The Lone Ranger as 6th in their top 10 best movies of 2013. They can hardly be seen as Depp or Disney fanboys, on the contrary. I do agree with them on that. The only reason it should have its place in the Razzies would be because of how many people disliked it. Surely not for its lack of qualities.
travis112096 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote travis112096 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 5:49pm
I think armie hammer should be considered as worst supporting actor
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 9:11am
The scenes from other Westerns didn't feel like homages to me; they felt like lazy rip-offs. Even with that in mind, the "homage" to The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is blatant thievery.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 9:12pm

That's another problem with the film: it steals blatantly from other Westerns*.
Are you sure it wasn't doing homages to those movies?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 5:41pm
Here's the nominations I think this film should get.

Worst Picture
Worst Director for Verbinski
Worst Actor for Johnny Depp
Worst Actor for Armie Hammer
Worst Screenplay
Worst Screen Couple for Depp and Hammer
Worst Screen Ensemble
Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off, or Sequel
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 5:39pm
For the first half-hour I was watching The Lone Ranger, I was reminded heavily of Jonah Hex. The style and tone of the films are virtually the same. I stopped being reminded of Jonah Hex for the remaining two hours. The reason for this is because Jonah Hex is way, way, way, way better than The Lone Ranger!

To the film's credit, the last action scene involving the trains is actually awesome. Of course, it's the only scene in the film that feels like something that would happen in the previous Lone Ranger series. William Fitchner is decent as Butch Cavendish, the cannibalistic villain. These two parts are the only good parts in the film. The rest of the film is as bad as The Last Airbender.

In a better Lone Ranger movie, the main plot would be about the Ranger and Tonto tracking down Cavendish and enacting revenge. But, for whatever reason, the main villain in the film isn't Cavendash, it's Latham Cole, an old railroad baron played blandly by Tom Wilkinson. Hilariously, him being evil is supposed to be a twist, but it's obvious that he's evil. Another irritating thing about the film is Barry Pepper's character Fuller. He's tricked into thinking that the Comanche broke their treaty and he leads a slaughter of them because of it. When he learns he's been tricked, instead of turning against Cole, he joins him. What could have been an interesting, 3-dimentional villain is turned into a generic jerkass who tries to shoot kids. The Comanche act stupid in this too. They learn that the Comanche raids are false-flags and that the army is being mislead. Instead of using this information to prevent a war, they ignore it and fight the army anyway.

Armie Hammer is incredibly boring as The Lone Ranger. They should have cast a more charasmatic actor like Joseph Gordon-Levitt (who's great in Don Jon BTW) as the Ranger. His "romance" with his brother's widow is creepy as Hell. He's also very dumb too. There's being a pacifist and then there's being a God damn idiot like he is. Tonto has Cavendish at gunpoint and he knocks him out so he can take Cavendish in custody. He knows that Cavendish has an ally on the inside, but takes him in anyway. It seems like the only reason for his pacifism is so the film can rip-off The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. That's another problem with the film: it steals blatantly from other Westerns*. Cavendish being pulled by a horse in the desert is stolen from The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, the rangers waiting at the train-station is stolen from Once Upon A Time In The West, the Church people on the train singing Shall We Gather At The River? is stolen from The Wild Bunch, the pocket-watch symbolism is stolen from For A Few Dollars More, but the worst thievery is the "Comanche raid." It's blatantly stolen from The Searchers. It's so horribly blatant that John Wayne, John Ford, Natalie Wood, Ward Bond, and Jeffrey Hunter are now spinning in their graves. Vera Mills is spinning in her rocking chair. The film also has similarities with The Birth Of A Nation, but that appears to be unintentional. Gore Verbinski's direction, apart from the train sequence, is awful. The only scenes that aren't technically awful are the ones that are stolen from other Westerns. The script is awful as well. The three biggest problems with the film are: Johnny Depp as Tonto, the length, and misplaced grittiness. Depp's performance is basically Buster Keaton in red-face, except horribly unfunny. The running gag with him feeding the dead bird on his head is both unfunny and racist. The film doesn't have enough plot to justify being two and half hours long. As bad as Jonah Hex was, that was only 90 minutes. The film's dark tone is horribly offputting. There's several needlessly gruesome scenes in the film like Butch eating the Ranger's brother's heart and the Comanche slaughter. This wouldn't bother me, but the film seemed to be marketed towards families. Also, what the Hell was up with that rabbit at the end?

Here's my plan for a decent Lone Ranger movie: Jospeph Gordon-Levitt plays the Ranger, an unknown Native American actor (with no bird on his head) plays Tonto, and they search after a non-cannibalistic Butch Cavendish (still played by Fitchner). It's, also, only 90 minutes long. Grade: F

Next-up: Interview With The Vampire!!

*And non-Westerns too; the bit about the ladder in the end action scene is lifted from The General.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 3:46pm
Le Moyne is showing this for free Friday night. I'll post my review Saturday. 

Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 6:57pm
It would have been better had they cast the Cowboy and Indian from the Village People...  Not MUCH better...but still better...
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by moviecritic1994

VITS, did you think Depp and Hammer had good on screen chemistry?

Yes. And I thought it was admirable, considering that there's never a reason to believe that the characters become friends.
Originally posted by moviecritic1994

why do you think Lone Ranger shouldn't be nominated for Worst Picture?

I thought it was bad, but not among the worst of the year. One of the reasons is that, while the 150-minute running time was noticeable, I was never actually bored. Meanwhile, A HAUNTED HOUSE (my current contender) was 80 minutes long and it felt twice longer.
Originally posted by oiram

I thought that Armie Hammer did a much worse job than Johnny Depp.

In your review, you talked about how he wasn't the epic hero he was meant to be. I agree, but I felt that was the script writers' fault because they spent too much time writing him as a clueless guy. No actor could've made him feel like a real hero, but Hammer at least made him sympathetic and relatable.

Did you choose Depp because of the Indian thing, Vits?

No. I wanted to keep an open mind about that. Depp is great at playing goofy characters, but this time, he was goofing around in front of the camera. That's not the same thing. It felt like he wasn't taking the role or the movie seriously. On the other hand, my dad felt disrespectful to tackle on an important issue (the conflict between whites and Native-Americans) with farcical gags and no insight.

I said in my review that the biggest problem is that they don't have the tone of the movie set well. Sometimes it is too dark for the children, and then sometimes it gets too silly for the adults. Do you agree with my assessment?

Oh, absolutely. In your review, you mentioned the scene where BUTCH eats DAN's heart. I was worried because there was a kid (10-12) sitting in front of me.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 4:05am
Hmm... I thought that Armie Hammer did a much worse job than Johnny Depp. Did you choose Depp because of the Indian thing, Vits?

Also, Vits, I said in my review that the biggest problem is that they don't have the tone of the movie set well. Sometimes it is too dark for the children, and then sometimes it gets too silly for the adults. Do you agree with my assessment?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 8:49pm
VITS, did you think Depp and Hammer had good on screen chemistry? Also I need to ask, why do you think Lone Ranger shouldn't be nominated for Worst Picture?
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>