Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > RIDDICK
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' DIscussion of RIDDICK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' DIscussion of RIDDICK
    Posted: August 30 2013 at 11:40am
AT the END of a BERRY L-O-N-G SUMMER OVER-FULL with SUCKY BUMMERS, WE'RE FEELIN'  KINDA TIRED, LAZY and UNDER-WHELMED...

SO, for NOW, WE'RE JUST GONNA SAY: 

PLEASE, HOLLYWOOD, PLEASE -- 
STOP MAKING MOVIES PANDERING 
to UNDISCRIMINATING 11 YEAR OLD BOYS 
...and MAYBE MAKE ONE or TWO FILMS 
for GROWN-UPS WHO BRING THEIR 
BRAINS to the THEATRE!!

THERE, GOT THAT RANT OUT of the WAY, 
NOW IT's YOUR TURN to RANT.

JUST to SHOW WE DON'T TAKE THINGS TOO SERIOUSLY, HERE's the LINK to OUR FOTO FUNNY for THIS FILM...

...and (for THOSE WHO EVEN CARE) HERE's the LINK for OUR FORUM INFO PAGE on IT (FEATURING CREDITS, PROMOs, REVIEWS, GROSSES and CETERA)...

MY 17 YEAR-OLD SON MIGHT KILL ME for SAYING THIS, BUT: 
AFTER a MOVIE SEASON LIKE the ONE WE ALL JUST SURVIVED,  

THANK GOD SUMMER 2013 IS OVER

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 12:42pm

That was quick! I bring up the third Riddick film at least 10 days before it opens and bam! 7 days in advance! Knowing Vin Diesel's lack of critical clout and how The Chronicles of Riddick got a 5/20 approval rating at Rotten T, I can't complain. The last one got a D from critics due to its severe disappointment as a sequel to Pitch Black, but if it wouldn't have delivered the few thrills that it did, critics would've given it a much worse grade. After about 9 years in the making, I can't imagine this one (with the beta name "Riddick: Rule the Dark") getting good reviews either, Especially if the thrills don't deliver.

Here is my selection of Vin Diesel's filmography:
xXx was #13 on the Bottom 40 Films of '002
A Man Apart was #33 on the Bottom 40 Films of '003
The Chronicles of Riddick was #17 on the Bottom 40 Films of '004
The Pacifier was #34 on the Bottom 40 Films of '005
Babylon A.D. was #34 on the Bottom 40 Films of '008
Fast & Furious was #36 on the Bottom 40 Films of '009

The first scheduled release date for XxX: The Return of Xander Cage was some time last year, but now it's said to be stuck in development hell. It probably would've gotten reviews about halfway in between xXx and XXX: State of the Union.

May this get panned by critics and be Vin Diesel's 7th Bottom 40er!

P.S.: The summer third might be coming to an end, but the summer quarter is July through September (3rd quarter of the year) in my book. To hear me tell it, autumn begins with October and is one more month away.

Response to subsequent Vits post: That's what you said about After Earth and look how that turned out! Besides, unlike M Night Shyamalan's filmography, the Pitch Black trilogy has never gotten better than average reviews! Plus, Vin Diesel hasn't turned out a good film in all the New Millennium!
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 1:48pm
Katee Sackoff from The Haunting in Connecticut 2 is also in this.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 2:59pm
Could this be like MEN IN BLACK PART 3? I mean, making a sequel many years later could mean that they really thought things through...
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2013 at 1:06pm
When did I say that?
Originally posted by GTAHater767

That's what you said about After Earth and look how that turned out!
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2013 at 5:07pm
Dang it! Once again, I remembered that it had been said*, and once again, I attributed the right quote to the wrong forum member! But somebody has to know for sure whether 9 years in the making was for good or for ill, but we'll know in about a week.

Right now**, it has 1 remotely positive review (originally counted as 3/5, which on a scale of 1 to 5 is completely neutral. It was still counted as Fresh, but it can still be retracted, and one can only guess what kind of reviews Riddick will eventually receive. Right now, I'm thinking between The Hangover Part III and GI Joe: Retaliation.

*The quote above is from April 2013, about a month before After Earth was released.

**As of September's Eve at 16:50. 

Reply to subsequent oiram post, because again, it's too small for its own post: You're promoting the "like the film, hate the act" parameter again. How many well-reviewed films are at the top of your to-RAZZ list for the acting and on-screen grouping categories?
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2013 at 7:32am
If Vin Diesel is nominated Worst Actor for this, could he also be nominated for Fast & Furious 6?

Before anyone says anything, keep in mind that it wasn't the acting so much that got Fast & Furious 6 more positive reviews.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2013 at 8:15am
I think he could. Some of his F&F co-stars (mainly Dwayne Johnson) give "adequate" performances to the type of movie they're in. But with Diesel you can tell that he's just not a very good actor.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 4:41am
The movie is now at a 53%. Still not one of the worst but a few acting noms might not hurt too much.

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 7:28pm
Just got back from this. Thankfully, it's more like Pitch Black than The Chronicles Of Riddick. I don't see this as much of a Razzie contender. Vin Diesel was not good...but not bad either. Katee Sackhoff was good as a lesbian mercenary. 

My Grade: B-

Also, for Oiram, they showed the Robocop remake trailer before the film. By the end of the trailer I was grinding my teeth in anger!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
 Post Reply Post Reply