Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 27th RAZZIE® AWARDS DISCUSSIONS & FORUMS > SUPERMAN RETURNS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

SUPERMAN RETURNS: A Bird...or a Turd?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: How Well Will Kal-El Do at the B.O. ??
Poll Choice Poll Statistics
[40.74%]
[29.63%]
[3.70%]
[11.11%]
[14.81%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SUPERMAN RETURNS: A Bird...or a Turd?
    Posted: March 27 2006 at 5:21pm

Hollywood's clearly hoping Warners' massively budgeted remake of that Man-of-Steel saga SUPERMAN will be the answer to their too-long-un-answered prayers. But what say you -- Will RETURNS rip up the Box Office record books...or reek to high heaven?? After voting in our POLL, feel free to express yourself further below...

And here's a LINK to our other discussions, polls and entries on SUPERMAN RETURNS

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 5:31pm
Looking at the above picture of the lunky-looking hunk they've cast in the title role, I couldn't help noticing a costume detail they got totally wrong: Supie's bright red boots aren't supposed to look like the ones worn by Herman Munster! if they spent all those gazillions and got something that elemental wrong, my hopes aren't running too high for this one...
Everything SUX!
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 2:33pm
Well, Batman Begins was the FIRST Batman movie that got it right, I'm just hoping for a hit, but I have the creepy feeling it will be another bomb like this one:  

http://www.5minutestolive.com/2D/ITSABIRD.htm
2013's WORST PIC-After Earth ACTOR-Jaden Smith & Johnny Depp ACTRESS-Lindsay Lohan! SUP ACTRESS--Kim Kardashian! SUP ACTOR-Chris Brown DIRECTOR--Good "Night"! SCREAMPLAY--The Lone Ranger.
Vidiot View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vidiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by JoeBacon

Well, Batman Begins was the FIRST Batman movie that got it right...
I agree. The director, Christopher Nolan, also directed Memento & Insomnia. Two other great movies.
Dallas Riley' View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dallas Riley' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 3:24am

That movie looks so good, I think I'll love it...

#1-Film Freak!! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Film Freak!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 4:10am
Did anyone else think the Entertainment Weakly cover of this guy looked a little too...pretty?? Superman (and Clark Kent, for that matter) are supposed to have a "lantern jaw" and squarish face. They're not supposed to look like some spoiled princess/brat's Fantasy Pool Boy from Beverly Hills 90210!
Nobody LUVS movies more than ME!
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 3:54pm

Originally posted by Vidiot

Well, Batman Begins was the FIRST Batman movie that got it right...
I agree. The director, Christopher Nolan, also directed Memento & Insomnia. Two other great movies.

Insomnia, the best movie of those three. It was a remake, but a much better remake. But both Memento and Batman Begins pleased me a whole lot.

The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 2:38am
Right now I think this movie has a lot going for it. Warners has picked a very successful director in the Super Hero Genre, Bryan Singer, who did an excellent job bringing the X-MEN to the silver screen, and making a very successful sequel. He would have done X-MEN3: Last Stand, but Fox did not want to wait for him to finish this movie first. Also, Unlike Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins (which both my 8 year old son and I liked very much)this movie looks like it is continuing the Richard Donner/Mario Puzo Version from were Superman II left off (I know Richard Lester completed it, but Donner had done 80% of the film already)and is completely ignoring Superman III and IV (for which I do not blame Warner Bros in the least, especially after what Cannon did to IV). Well, I am hoping for the best, especially since what I have seen looks positive. My oldest son and I will be there on opening day!  
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 3:51pm

FWIW, I just got Seasons 3 & 4 of the George Reeves "Adventures of
Superman" DVD set and inside as a FREE TICKET to Superman Returns.
Now I can afford some popcorn and Diet Pepsi when I go see it

Response from Head RAZZberry: If you're willing to take out a second mortgage! Have you bought snacks at a movie theatre lately?? OUTRAGEOUS PRICES!

2013's WORST PIC-After Earth ACTOR-Jaden Smith & Johnny Depp ACTRESS-Lindsay Lohan! SUP ACTRESS--Kim Kardashian! SUP ACTOR-Chris Brown DIRECTOR--Good "Night"! SCREAMPLAY--The Lone Ranger.
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 2:19pm

FWIW, I just got Seasons 3 & 4 of the George
Reeves "Adventures of Superman" DVD set and inside as a FREE TICKET to
Superman Returns. Now I can afford some popcorn and Diet Pepsi when I
go see it

Response from Head RAZZberry: If you're willing to take out a second
mortgage!
Have you bought snacks at a movie theatre lately?? OUTRAGEOUS PRICES!

Razz, the only way I can afford a FIRST mortgage is by matching SIX
LOTTO NUMBERS!

Razz--TRUE FACT--You are NOT KIDDING about how snack prices have
gone through the roof. I made the mistake of going to the ArcLight and
almost had a cerebral hemorrhage at the "gourmet" popcorn prices. And
don't forget the artesian spring water to go with the popcorn...
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 3:19pm
I know when the 4 in my family go to a regular Theater I am usually looking at about $75.00 between the tickets and refreshments, That is why when we do go I make it count!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 7:43am
I stand by what I said before: I think between the wait and the long development hell that this project has been through, this is finally going to pay off for Warner Bros. The early reviews are looking good on the Tomatometer at 82% (It's at a 100% for "Cream of the Crop") (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_returns/). Word of mouth is 90% positive (Hey, there will always be a negative in any forum). My prediction is worst case scenario $200 million domestically, $350 million overall, best case scenario $300 domestically, $550-$650 overall. It is definitely looking like longer legs than X-MEN 3: Last Stand and Batman Begins. It will have to match or beat best case to make a profit for Warner Brothers, but at this point, there is a good chance of that happening.

Words to live by:
messy-1 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote messy-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 8:58am
The problem is not that it isn't good, it's supposedly terrific. But next week is Pirates of the Caribbean II, which might take over as number one the following week.

As to legs, remember that Titanic almost opened at number 2 (James Bond and all that).

Just be glad they didn't do the Tim Burton or McG versions, or we'd have been talking about it for years already...
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 9:43am

I had already taken Pirates of the Caribbean II into consideration, with the way the 4th of July Weekend is working, and taking into fact that it is now opening on the 28th (Wednesday) instead of the 30th (Friday) Superman Returns could have the same weekend haul as Spiderman 2 ($200 million that holiday weekend alone).

As to legs, Titanic did open up at No.2, but climbed to No.1 the following week. Superman Returns may not have the same longevity, but I am betting it will still earn Warner Brothers a profit (At least I hope so, I heard they have already Green lighted a Superman Returns Sequel).

I thank god everyday for that, it would have been pretty scary seeing Nicholas Cage in tights or turned into a 2 hour music video if done by McG. Like I said, it had been in Development Hell since the early 90's.

The closest during that period that nearly went to print was the Tim Burton version, they had already printed coming soon posters for the summer of 98, check this link out at IMDB for the rest of the history on this project http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348150/trivia .

Words to live by:
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 4:17pm
Boy, it sure was dull. Glad that I had a free pass...
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 4:59am

As of now (1pm/PST on July 6) SUPERMAN RETURNS stands at about $114.5 million in total box office. Looks like  Ol' Supie may be suffering from KING KONG'S SYNDROME -- A highly-hyped, berry expensive reworking of a classic story that didn't open as well as expected, hasn't exactly imploded at the box office, and may (as did KONG) eventually limp across the $200 million* B.O. line. In other words: Much sound and fury signifying...nothing of any significance. 

*In the case of SUPERMAN RETURNS, $200 million means it won't even break-even, since it's widely believed to have cost OVER $250 million to produce...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>