SILENT...AND Deadly?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SILENT...AND Deadly?!?!?
    Posted: February 02 2010 at 11:56am
That's understandable. I know that fans of video games have high hopes for their movie adaptations, and as a result, they might love the movie no matter how bad it is. The truth is, it's very hard to take a 10 hour long video game and cram it into a 2 hour long moive that you're trying to get the fans and the genernal public alike to enjoy. 
SailorDoom21 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote SailorDoom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 8:14pm
Just felt people should know the difference between a great game and a bad movie. That's all.
Misanthrope.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 7:23pm
Well, seeing as how it's been a LONG time since this movie was released, and it didn't win anything from us, defending it now would be a mute point. Hey, if you liked it, fine.
SailorDoom21 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote SailorDoom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 5:23pm
Okay. Let me speak here as a player, and hardcore fan of the Silent Hill games. Believe me when I say that the only thing right about this movie is the fact that the town was called Silent Hill. That's all.
  The Silent Hill games are about being called, pulled in, if you will by this town, in order to atone for a sin, or in some cases, find out something long-lost about ones-self. To the naked eye, the town is just a regular messed up town, but to the main player, it becomes twisted imagery representing something they've done, or something they are. The mosters represent everything the player fears, in a symbolic way, kind of like saying "Run away from your fears--or face them". Depending on your choices throughout the game, you may either leave peacefully, as you have learned your lesson, or die and/or go insane, as you have fallen victim to your own mentality. Everything, every little thing hints at what you've done, and you have to figure this out, and make your choice. Silent Hill is a deep, disturbing, beautifully grotesque game about finding yourself lost in darkness.
  Silent Hill is NOT Running from monsters that have nothing to do with this randomly placed character, not filled with people (Because the whole freaking point is to give you the sense of complete, utter, lonliness. No one will save you from yourself. People everywhere just makes you go "Oh. I'll be okay."), and Silent Hill is not, by any stretch of the imagination, fanservice. And that's all that movie was. It was putting everyone's favorite monsters into a movie where they didn't belong, and making them do sh** that was irrelevant to the character, the plot, and the general outcome of the story. The super-cool evil cult was turned christian, because they obviously didn't want to offend any soccer-moms out there, and what the F**k was with that little girl? Fun fact: Silent Hill's illusions were created by Alessa Gillespie, because she was a good child who only wanted to help people, and this is her way of doing so. She is not a mean, vengeful little girl who split herself up into Sharon DaSilva (Which is supposed to be Cheryl Mason. Is that name to difficult?) and Satan. Her mother, Dahlia Gillespie, was not a sad mother who lost her child tragically to the big, bad, christian school. No. She was an insane cult-leader, driven by obsession with making sure that The Holy Mother was born, and thus sacrificed her own daughter in order to make sure that this happens. She showed no remorse whatsoever.
  Pyramid Head is one of those unnecissarily placed monsters. He was in Silent Hill 2 to represent the side of main character James Sunderland's evil, heartless, and selfish side that he never showed. He chased James around Silent Hill for the entire game, as if saying "Accept it. Accept it." Until the end, where James finds out the plot twist, that makes him remember who he truly is. He states: "Now I know why I needed you...someone to punish me for my sins....well I don't need you anymore now, I'm finished running. Lets end this." And Pyramid Head kills himself with his own blade, because he knows that he's not needed anymore. But in the movie? God forbid he have a purpose. He just runs around stabbing doors and tearing the skin off of minor characters. What gets me, is that it could have been a glorious set up for a purpose. Both parents are searching for their adopted child from Silent Hill. Pyramid head encounters them both. It could be revealed that They were terrible parents, or something. (Bad things happen to children in those games...) But once again, GOD FORBID.
  Nothing makes sense, nothing has any relevance to what Silent Hill is, and a lot of the acting is terrible. The only good thing I can say, is that Jodelle Farland, who played Sharon is an extremely good child actor. You know,  If this were a normal, simple game being made into a movie, I'd have less to say about it. But no. This game is a movie. A Deep, well thought out, cinematic lesson of learning right from wrong, learning that the right path isn't always easy, Learning that the corrupt should be left in silence.

The end. I wonder how many people are going to bash me for stating facts. I just thought everyone should know what Silent Hill really is.
Misanthrope.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2007 at 12:55pm

Just to let you know, I never played any of the games, and I still got the film.  That goes for a lot of people.  I used to discuss and debate the movie with them on the Silent Hill message board on IMDb.  I feel there's a type of film that polarizes the audience, where half the people like it and half of them hate it, and you won't have that many people in between.  Aeon Flux is one example, and Silent Hill is another.

My favorite horror movie is the original version of The Haunting, which wasn't scary or gory as much as it was disturbing throughout.  That's the appeal of Silent Hill, both the video games and the movie.  The storyteller is attempting to mess with your mind.  Most people don't like that.  But there are many who do.  Whether you like that or not, at the very least, the dialog, acting and production should be good.

However, as I said before, Silent Hill could have been a whole lot better if Roger Avary turned in good dialog (much of that dialog was just plain bad), Sean Bean used an American accent and Lauren Holden didn't drive a motorcycle at night with her sunglasses on.   It looks like Avary and Gans will be writing Silent Hill 2, which will probably contain the storyline from the second game which most gamers love best and is the strongest storyline of the first four games (I can't comment on Silent Hill: Origins).  Gans has already promised to increase the scares yet keep the same disturbing tone. 

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 12:33pm
Oh, I didn't like this movie at all. Ok, rarely any movie scares me and obviously this one didn't but it's so confusing and you can only get it if you played the game, which is really annoying. Doom didn't do that, which was why it was slightly better than Silent Hill. Good part though, good cinematography and set designs ruined by the dark where I could not see anythnig to feast my eyes on...
oddest View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote oddest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2007 at 5:57pm
it's one of plenty scary movies ... not better not worse

cheers,
apropos@digitalhardcore.us
TylerDurden View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote TylerDurden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 5:50pm
I found this movie to be very intense and nightmarish. Once again, I am sad to find that the members of this forum are biased against what appears to be ALL movies post-1995. Sometimes you just enjoy a flick for entertainment.
Do any of you like any movies at all?
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 11:54am
Originally posted by cvcjr13

On the positive side, I enjoyed this movie because it was not a slasher film (although there was some slasher stuff), it was not a gorefest (although there were some very gory moments) and it was just for scares (although there were a few scares).  The film was more disturbing, and oftentimes it messed with your mind, right up to and including the ending. 

And in the "that's not saying much" category, Silent Hill is easily the best video game-to-movie adaptation, and quite possibly the best horror movie of 2006 up until today (compare the remakes of The Hills Have Eyes, When A Stranger Calls, The Omen and The Wicker Man, or new films Bloodrayne, Final Destination 3, Hostel, Slither, An American Haunting, See No Evil, The Descent and Pulse, and then consider possibly the horror movies with the best box office in 2006 were outside of the genre, like Scary Movie 4, Monster House and Underworld: Evolution, which also doesn't say much about horror movies this year).

I enjoyed Hostel for what it was. A slasher done in the 80's style fashion but without neon bracelets and big hair.  I've heard good things about the Descent. I can't say I absolutely hated Silent Hill. The production design was top notch, and it looked like the game.

"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 12:16am

On the negative side, there was horrible dialog, botched accents (come on, actors, we're talking about an Ohio couple and residents in the Appalachians of West Virginia!) and the ridiculous but sexy outfit of Cybil played by Lauren Holden, that included wearing sunglasses at night and sexy, tight, non-regulation leather pants.

On the positive side, I enjoyed this movie because it was not a slasher film (although there was some slasher stuff), it was not a gorefest (although there were some very gory moments) and it was just for scares (although there were a few scares).  The film was more disturbing, and oftentimes it messed with your mind, right up to and including the ending. 

And in the "that's not saying much" category, Silent Hill is easily the best video game-to-movie adaptation, and quite possibly the best horror movie of 2006 up until today (compare the remakes of The Hills Have Eyes, When A Stranger Calls, The Omen and The Wicker Man, or new films Bloodrayne, Final Destination 3, Hostel, Slither, An American Haunting, See No Evil, The Descent and Pulse, and then consider possibly the horror movies with the best box office in 2006 were outside of the genre, like Scary Movie 4, Monster House and Underworld: Evolution, which also doesn't say much about horror movies this year).

To put it another way, this movie best compares to Aeon Flux.  The critics all panned it, but the fans are extremely divided about it.  Consider also that, at least according to Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb, most fans actually like Silent Hill than hate it (although the ones who hate it REALLY hate it). 

I don't think it deserves a Razzie.  In fact, I like this movie.  But it could have been done better, especially the dialog.

ninjacat11 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote ninjacat11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 1:40pm
Mmm...T**tie Twister of Doom!
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 9:05pm
The previous post was mine I just couldn't log in for some reason. Anywho, Radha Mitchell did a halfway decent job. Although her Australian accent slipped out a little in the end, Sean Bean's on the other hand was horrible.
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
Guests View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 8:42pm

The video game makes more sense than the movie. There is a scene in which Cybil (Laurie Holden) asks "What the hell is going on here. That's exactly what I wanted to ask the director and screenwriter. Here are some things I have learned while watching Silent Hill...

1. Female motorcycle cops always wear tight leather pants.

2. Creepy old women always have plenty of eyeshadow (Deborah Kara Unger)

3. You should always run straight toward any small children no matter how dangerous it might be.

hi View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 4:00am
You mean they can make a video game into a bad movie without Uwe Boll??
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 8:50am
You may believe it or not, this movie's actually based on a popular video game, think about that.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 3:29am

FEATURING CREATURES ABOUT AS SCARY AS MELTING CANDY APPLES (See Below) PLOT TWISTS THAT LEAVE AUDIENCES STRANDED in the DARK and OPENING WITH NO CRITICS' SCREENINGS, SILENT HILL HAS ALL THE EARMARKS of BEING a BIG, JUICY RAZZIE CONTENDER...

...And the Booger Man Will Get You If You Don't Watch Out!

CLICK HERE for Reviews of SILENT HILL at Rotten Tomatoes, then...Go ahead, START TRASHING IT YERSELF!

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
 Post Reply Post Reply