Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > MEMBER-STARTED FORUMS on 2011 RELEASES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

TOWER HEIST

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote travis112096 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TOWER HEIST
    Posted: November 16 2011 at 9:08pm
With an "a-list" cast including 2005 Razzie nominee Ben Stiller, 12-time Razzie nominee (and 4-time Razzie "winner") Eddie Murphy and 1993 Razzie nominee Alan Alda, this movie failed to meet expectations, and cost both Eddie Murphy and Brett Ratner their Oscar gigs...  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: TOWER HEIST didn't do badly with critics (R.T. LINK) or totally bomb at the box office (MoJo LINK). And it wasn't this film that "cost both Murphy and Ratner their Oscar gigs" -- It was Ratner's big, foul (and ignorant) mouth that achieved that. In an industry both overly sensitive to slurs and overwhelmingly welcoming of gays, Ratner's dim-witted use of the term "fags" in an interview was a form of self-immolation. Partly out of loyalty to Ratner (and partly out of fear he couldn't pull off the job of hosting?) Murphy decided to follow Ratner out the door... 

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2011 at 6:59am
Do you really think this has a chance to be nominated in any category? It had good reviews, and most of them were about Murphy's performance.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2011 at 7:38am
This movie was meh. The acting (specifically Murphy, Stiller, and Alda) was good, but Brett Ratner can't direct to save his life. My grade: B-
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
travis112096 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote travis112096 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2011 at 2:52pm
Maybe for a Worst Director nomination for Ratner??
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2011 at 3:55pm
With so many other directors viying for that spot?  Not a chance!  
billingsley View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote billingsley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 5:58pm
Tower Heist was a little bit worse than average for me. The direction could have been better, but it wasn't razzie worthy. The script was less than average, but again not Razzie worthly. 
I really didn't like Eddie Murphy's performance. There were times where he would try to be clever, but the script was so predictable it would fall flat.
The script was overly laden with corny dialog. 

Stuff like this: 
Ben stiller trying to hook up with a sexy cop.
Stiller: "Why don't you call in sick tonight for your shift?"
cop: "Are you asking a police officer to lie?"
stiller: "I'm asking a police office to dinner."

stuff like that. 

But there was one Razzie worthy aspect of the film:
Worst Picture, Director & Script: Twilight
Actor: Nick Cage
Actress: K Stew
S. Actor: Ken Jeong
S. Actress: David Spade
Couple: Sandler and Sandler
Sequel: Hangover II