Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Events, Announcements & Activities > ALL THE LATEST on ALL THE LAMEST!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Travolta, L. Ron Hubbard...and DRAG!?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travolta, L. Ron Hubbard...and DRAG!?!?!
    Posted: March 13 2006 at 3:40am

GAZE, IF YOU DARE, UPON THIS IMAGE of TRAVOLTA in DRAG from the SET of HAIRSPRAY...

THEN FEEL FREE 2 A-DRESS THIS IMPORTANT ISSUE of OUR TIMES...

In covering John Travolta being cast in the central role of Edna Turnblad in the remake of HAIRSPRAY (a role for which Travolta will appear in drag) MSNBC quoted a recent Rolling Stone article about Scientology. It reports that Scientology's founder, L. Ron Hubbard, felt that gays "should be taken from … society as rapidly as possible" because "no social order will survive which does not remove these people from its midst."

"If Hubbard had historically had his way there would be no John Waters films in America and no gay actors to play the part of Edna Turnblad," notes Rick Ross on Cultnews.com, "which would of course leave Mr. Travolta with no new character role. And it's doubtful that Scientology's savior would find anything appealing about Travolta dressed in drag as Edna Turnblad."

We find this an interesting taking-off point for discussion -- Especially after the Academy snubbed BROKEBACK MONTAIN for Best Picture. So...go ahead...discuss!

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 4:36pm
Well, at least he isn't starring in a remake of TOOTSIE...
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 9:15am
The only time I ever found Travolta funny was when he played a gay Dracula on Saturday Night Live.
Fred Cooper
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 12:44pm

He wasn't Gay, it was that bloody Reinfield! (Chris Elliot)

Well he was (unintentionally) funny in Battlefield Earth.

Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 3:28pm
I'd hate to think of him even as Charley's Aunt...
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 12:20am

The Hollywood film industry is a marvel of contridictions. It is dominated by people with generally progressive views, and employs a very large number of gays. Yet a gay bashing, Martian worshipping "religion" like Scientology can gain a foothold. Actually it amazes me that Scientology can gain acceptance anywhere...it is, afterall the Amway of spirituality. As we sometimes say in my profession, so many idiots, so few comets.

Incidentally, I'm not entirely sure its accurate to say that Brokeback Mountain was snubbed. I think there might have been something of a voting backlash, but I suspect that the flaws in the Academy's voting system, that I've noted elsewhere on the board, may have contributed to its failure to take home the gold naked man (which might have been extremely coveted for that film )

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
chicken_hawk View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote chicken_hawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 4:25pm
After he is done this movie, he could get the lead in the remake of the "birdcage".
John Travolta View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote John Travolta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 5:23pm

Come on guys. You know I'm perfect for the role. I sang and danced in SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER and in GREASE. Now I can again wearing a fat suit that Harvey Fierstein had on in the play. Yeah!

Note: If you really believed that this was John Travolta, get a life!

Pia Zadora View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pia Zadora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 7:59am

Well you really had me for a moment there!

It's me, the greatest actress of all time. How should I know? I was the Beatnik Chick in the original movie HAIRSPRAY!

ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 2:28am

"The Hair, The Hair...Don't touch the Hair!"

OK I admit, he has come a long way since his character in Saturday Night Fever. In his 30 year career in Hollywood he has had a very turbulent ride on his range of success with both the low and high points. But when he is in form, he is one hell of an actor!

Look at the bright side of him in this movie, at least he is better looking than he was in Battlefield Earth and he is intentionally trying to be funny this time.

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
 Post Reply Post Reply