Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > THE UGLY TRUTH
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

UGLY Is As UGLY Duz...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UGLY Is As UGLY Duz...
    Posted: July 22 2009 at 3:22am

WHEN WE FIRST SAW the TRAILER for THIS MONTHS AGO, WE WERE UN-IMPRESSED...BUT COMPARED to the CRIX at ROTTEN TOMATOES, OUR RESPONSE WAS PRACTICALLY ECSTATIC: 48 HOURS BEFORE ITs OPENING, THE UGLY TRUTH WAS SCORING a PERFECT ZERO RATING at R.T.

STARRING GERARD BUTLER (WHO WAS ACTUALLY QUITE FUNNY, WE THOUGHT, in BOTH PHANTOM and  300) and KATHERINE HEIGL (WHO'S NEVER HAD MUCH EFFECT on US ONE WAY OR the OTHER) UGLY TRIES VAINLY to BE a "ROM-COM" THAT CAN APPEAL to BOTH SEXES, THUS MAKING for the ULTIMATE DATE MOVIE.

INSTEAD, THEY'VE MADE a MOVIE THAT APPEALS to ALMOST NO ONE, WHILE MANAGING to INSULT ALMOST EVERYONE...

IF YOU ARE AMONG THOSE INSULTED -- OR YOU'D LIKE to BE AMONG THOSE INSULTING THIS BASTARD-HYBRID FILM -- FEEL FREE to SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS BELOW... 

DIRECTOR: "Can we add in the chemistry in post-production?!?!?" 

NOTE: Our Forum Members first spotted this one as a possible RAZZIE® contender last December -- Here's a LINK to check out that thread...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2009 at 8:16am

In case anyone forgot, this is the movie that we've been making fun of since December because it put Katy Heigl in her undies, and tried to pass that off as terribly sexy -- in an R-Rated movie!

-Iron helps us play-
tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2009 at 9:00am

The Ugly Truth is that this movie will probably lose out to G-Force at this weekend's box offices... 

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2009 at 12:46pm

I'm surprised this is rated R. Most comedies are PG-13. This being an "R" certainly raised my interest -- If it were PG-13, I wouldn't be as interested... 

sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2009 at 2:51pm

Yeah, I spotted this early as a RAZZIE contender, and now it's considered official... 

The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
JoeBoyden View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBoyden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 4:24pm
Based on the reviews it's getting, probably a lock for, at least, a Worst Screen Couple nomination.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2009 at 3:02am

I wish Butler would skip trying to be an aging Romeo (that only works in Shakespearean plays, folks, and even then. . . .) and do more movies like 300.

Although it's surprising how many people diss 300.  I recall some people here find it ridiculous and unacceptable.  I understand their point of view, but I found 300 to be a total badass movie. . . .

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2009 at 9:57am
I'm not planning on seeing the movie. But I might, if at some point, Katherine Heigl and whoever the guy Gerard Butler is trying to help her get are on a date on top of a building...and Butler comes in and kicks them both off of the rooftop.
-Iron helps us play-
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by cvcjr13

I wish Butler would skip trying to be an aging Romeo (that only works in Shakespearean plays, folks, and even then. . . .) and do more movies like 300.

Although it's surprising how many people diss 300.  I recall some people here find it ridiculous and unacceptable.  I understand their point of view, but I found 300 to be a total badass movie. . . .

I'm siding with you on that

The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 2:33pm
I smelled RAZZIE contender when I heard what the lead actor said in the trailer. Gerard Butler doesn't need that nomination for Law Abiding Citizen as much as for this one. Gamer never got its own forum here, oddly, so I didn't expect that would be suggested.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by GTAHater767

I smelled RAZZIE contender when I heard what the lead actor said in the trailer. Gerard Butler doesn't need that nomination for Law Abiding Citizen as much as for this one. Gamer never got its own forum here, oddly, so I didn't expect that would be suggested.
My jury is out on Gernard Butler, but he choices in movie roles alone make him Razzie worthy.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 5:03pm
This is the 2nd worst comedy I saw this year(the 1st was WHATEVER WORKS).Also,Gerard Butler gave the worst performance.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 7:02pm
Saw a video review of this movie that featured a lot of clips from it.

All I have to say is wow, what a failed attempt at emulating a Judd Apatow film (also, Gerard Butler is no Tom Cruise from Magnolia). Admittedly, I might have laughed at some of the parts if I was in 8th grade, but now, it looks stupid with its heavy handed approach at trying to be edgy.
Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 8:16pm
Well,have the things it teaches aren't new,and the other half make no sense.

Jerrar Votler's MIKE isn't Tom Cruise because his character isn't the same kind of mysoginist.MIKE isn't that much of a jerk because it's a comedy.And I think both were bad performances.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2010 at 7:47pm
Well, Butler and Heigl got away scott-free last year. Not sure if you can say the same about Butler and Jennifer Aniston this year with "Bounty Hunter".
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 2:52pm
My review:

"TRUTH" BE TOLD,THIS IS "UGLY"(**/*****):

What people don't seem to know is that MIKE actually has 2 sets of advices.First the whole "Women want love,men just want sex".Then the ones that are true and helpful,like how long to wait for phone calls,or how long to keep the other one on hold.Those made this unfunny movie interesting,but it comes off as if both sets are one,and therefor either they're both truth or false.Most people know that "Men are pigs" and "Women need to be tramps to get boyfriends" are just stereotypes,but they could feel obligated to accept them if they've experienced set #2.If not,then they'll be against both,and they'll never know what the other sex really thinks.

I expected better balance from a movie directed by a man and written by a woman.Wait!It was written by 3 women.No wonder.

Grades: D- in the U.S. and 3,0 in Chile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>