Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2006 MOVIES w/LYNX! > ROCKY BALBOA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Underdog of the Year -- Or Just a DOG?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underdog of the Year -- Or Just a DOG?!?!
    Posted: December 19 2006 at 3:05am

SO, WILL SLY END UP FACE DOWN on the CANVAS...OR WILL ROCKY BALBOA BE TINSELTOWN's #1 CINDERELLA STORY of 2006. POST YER THOUGHTS, OPINIONS, WHAT-EVERS BELOW...

"Everybody sez I'm an underdog...Yer a professhunal. Whadda You think??" 

For Additional INFO on ROCKY BALBOA (including Reviews, Official Site, Cast & Credits, etc.) CLICK HERE...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
#1 Sly Fan View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1 Sly Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 3:40am

As a lifelong fan of Stallone, and both of his main screen personas Rocky Balboa and John Rambo, I am very excited at the prospect of seeing them both successfully resurrected after everyone in Hollywood (and especially the Razzie Awards) had written them off so dismissively.

The reviews so far for "Rocky Balboa" suggest it could be Sly's biggest hit since "Rocky IV" more than 20 years ago. And if the audience response to a clip from the movie on The Tonight Show last week is any indication, the film could even garner Stallone THREE Oscar nominations -- one more than he got for the original "Rocky" back in 1976 -- Because this time he not only wrote and stars in it, but he directed it as well...

YO: Quit Pickin' on Stallone!!
JoBloMovieGoer View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoBloMovieGoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 3:57am

Hold your horses (or should that be dogs?) #1 Sly Fan. The movie isn't even out yet, and you have Stallone in contention for three Oscars?? The movie itself is currently at about a 70% Approval Rating on Rotten Tomatoes -- Admittedly better than almost anyone expected, but hardly in range to merit Academy consideration.

How about if we all wait until we've actually seen the movie to assess it -- Good, bad or indifferent??

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 4:20am

A few predictions from this corner:

1. Rocky Balboa will probably end up being somewhat above consideration by the Razzies (16 posted reviews at RT as of 10:30 AM MST 12/19/06 is not a trend either way, but the bet here is that it will end up 10 points +/- its current 69%).

2. I'll stand by my original prediction of a box office between $50 and $100 million

3. It will garner exactly 0 Oscar nominations.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 7:42am

Okay  #1 Sly Fan, lets break this down for you again, since for some unknown reason you cannot get past Stallone's basking of self-indulged glory and face the hard cold facts:

1) These are so far probably the best reviews since Rocky II not IV (IV got such horrible reviews that they did not dare print any them in their newspaper ads or TV Spots) and if you actually READ some of the critics' reviews, most are saying it the best since the original Rocky 30 years ago (Note: not as good, just the best since the original Rocky).

2) As far as Oscar glory is concerned, I really do not think that The Little Gold Naked Man needs to worry about being violated by Sly's creative talents. The only one he may have to worry about is if he gets 3 nods from the Razzie Foundation, in the categories that you previously mentioned (which right now does not seem likely for Rocky Balboa -- we'll no for sure by the end of this weekend).

3) If Stallone's smart (I know, that's pushing it) he will consider this a one-time fluke of good fortune, and not push his luck by reviving anything else. But, like the character he created and portrays in Rocky, Sly just does not know when to stay out of the Ring.

4) Whatever hallucinogen or drug you are currently taking that gives you these brighter outlooks on how things really are, you must share with me. Because I just can not (Nor can most of the members of this Forum) see this non-existent bright outlook on Stallone's career that you do. Heck, even Sly himself just recently admitted to having an off decade or two.

Overall, I am glad that, as of this moment, Stallone for the 1st time in maybe 20 to 25 years is putting out something that all audiences will enjoy, and not just the Stallone fan base. But please, just for once, keep it real!  

Originally posted by #1 Sly Fan

As a lifelong fan of Stallone, and both of his main screen persona's Rocky Balboa and John Rambo, I am very excited at the prospect of seeing them both successfully resurrected after everyone in Hollywood (and especially the Razzie Awards) had written them off so dismissively.

The reviews so far for "Rocky Balboa" suggest it could be Sly's biggest hit since "Rocky IV" more than 20 years ago. And if the audience response to a clip from the movie on The Tonight Show last week is any indication, the film could even garner Stallone THREE Oscar nominations -- one more than he got for the original "Rocky" back in 1976 -- Because this time he not only wrote and stars in it, but he directed it as well...

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
messy-1 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote messy-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 10:01am

I've seen it and it's rather good. It's about aging and having to deal with being a has-been.

Response from Head RAZZberry: If the film does turn out to be a hit, Stallone's own has-been status prior to its release will serve him well come Awards time. Mainstream Hollywood loves nothing more than they love apologizing to someone they've cold-shouldered who's since gotten back into the winners' circle. So #1 Sly Fan, though he appears to be exaggerating in his above post, may not be that far off.  Again, we'll know by next Tuesday (when Christmas weekend grosses are reported)  which way this "last installment" in the ROCKY franchise went...

ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 10:44am

It is as I stated to #1 Sly Fan, I do not begrudge Duh Sly Guy his props for finally tapping into that inner creative child and producing something decent, just don't at the same time try to "gloss" the last 20 or so years over as #1 Sly Fan constantly has done in the past. As of this post over at Rotten Tomatoes Rocky Balboa is at 62% and still at 100% cream of the crop. I agree this maybe a semi-biographical movie to the fact that both Sly and Rocky have had has-been careers in the last 15 years and maybe that is where he got that creativity for this movie. Again, Stallone has always been good at doing Stallone, and Rocky has always been a good tool for that outlet.

Rocky Balboa Movie Stills: Sylvester Stallone, Antonio Tarver, Burt Young, Sylvester Stallone

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 4:54pm

If some of you guys would like to look at the poster for Rocky Balboa, here is one. Check out the tag-line: "It ain't over 'til it's over." Wait, isn't that what all sportscasters say while broadcasting ANY game?

Update from RT: It's still getting 77% critic approval, but the cream of the crop has dropped down to 90%. Some of the critics think that Duh Sly Guy has been smart not to try and do too much dramatic heavy lifting, and as a director, was smarter still to let Antonio Tarver do most of the talking in the ring...

The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 4:55pm

With 52 reviews now in at RT, Rocky Balboa is standing at 77%. The guess here is as the other half of the reviews come in, we'll see a trend of positive ratings somewhat over 50%, dropping this a little, but keeping it well within the range I predicted above (69% +/- 10 points).

Allow me to also express my hopes that #1Slyfan has enough of whatever he is taking to go around. Even in a year of exceptionally weak competition, there is just no way RB is going to draw Oscar attention in any significant category (or likely any minors ones either). Nor is there any probability it will challenge Pirates 2 at the box-office. If RB ends up cracking $120 million domestic, Stallone ought to rip of his clothes and dance around like a wino that just discovered the Fountain of Sangria.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 5:48pm
It's up to 78% (never thought it would go the distance, Heck I don't think anybody in this forum did) However, I would love to see Stallone "rip of his clothes and dance around like a wino that just discovered the Fountain of Sangria". That alone would be worth a oscar node in a special catagory of some sort!

Words to live by:
jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 12:29am

The film critic in my city's newspaper gave it a B (out of A - F)
and says that Stallone retires his character with some dignity and grace, after numerous sequels to the Oscar winning original that built up to self parody.

To me this review suggests two things:

1. Rocky VI is much better than the Razzie-nominated Rocky IV and Rocky V.
2. This movie has a fitting conclusion (rocky might actually die) and it
strongly indicates that there will be no more sequels.

Response from Head RAZZberry: To get a sense of his own perspective on the film (and to see clips) I have been TiVo-ing Stallone's various talk show appearances promoting ROCKY BALBOA this last week. He has repeatedly made it clear (especially in his GMA interview with Diane Sawyer) that this is indeed the final episode in the ROCKY saga. Lest we think it's the end of Duh Sly Guy, he has also made clear in every interview that he is now putting together financing for RAMBO IV (in which Internet rumors have Rambo capturing Ossama Bin Laden)...

ArtGirl138 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ArtGirl138 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 11:08am
Well, if THIS doesn't give Sly that Career Achievement Razzie, at least there IS hope for Rambo 4 - part of a series which wasn't even  that good to begin with!
Self-Proclaimed Cartoon Geek
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 4:44am
It opened at #1 in it's opening day with $6.2 million.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 6:08am

With 105 reviews not in, it looks like RB has settled in around the mid-70's, and its opening b.o. numbers are in line with expectations as well.

Meanwhile, not too many people here in Denver are going to be going to see it for another day or two. We've had a bit of a rough weather situation here, but my wife and I are both home safe and things should begin to improve in the next 24 hours.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 10:45am

I saw We Are Marshall this weekend. Let me say at the outset, for the benefit of those here who seem to think we never say anything positive about any movies I enjoyed it very much. But I am mentioning it for a different reason.

Having now seen this movie, I read some of the reviews for it at RT. As a majority, the reviews for this movie have been negative. On the other hand, Rocky Balboa is getting positive reviews by a margin of about 3 to one. I have noticed two rather curious trends.

1. Close reading of a lot of the reviews for RB demonstrates a rather consistant theme: "Gee, this movie wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be." Or "It was better than I expected." Curiously, the overall tone of the reviews may not be all that positive, but these phases or variations of them seem to be winning it a positive review rating.

2. RB is generally being praised for exactly the same reasons the same reviewers are bagging Marshall.

The above is why, as I have noted in another thread, I don't put all that much faith in professional film critics.

LBSWebsite1 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote LBSWebsite1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 4:09pm
Hey John, fellas...

I just got back from "Rocky Balboa" and...

...having not seen the original "Rocky" films ever before, seeing this film made me think real considerably for the first time about the career Sylvester Stallone has been having.

I think this should be one of the films that Sylvester Stallone should NOT AT ALL be "razzied" for "Rocky Balboa" and here's my explanation...

I want to admit I once voted in your category of Stallone's character to be killed, yet this was the first time I have seen Sylvester Stallone in 'Balboa' or in any film  on the screen and I have to say that it was so uplifting and heart-felt that I ponder why Sylvester Stallone has earned so many of the Worst Actor awards.

Though I know that Mr. Stallone has his ego (doesn't every film star have one!) in writing and directing the films of his making and choosing, especially when he has 10 Razzie Awards to his credit for some of the films he admits now he should have never participated in or perhaps made, with the exception of the 'Rocky' films and maybe 'First Blood, Nighthawks, CopLand and others.'

But this time for the final chapter that comes full circle in 'Balboa' he gets the chance to go out with a hit, a bang and does a complete near-knockout!  I'm not getting on any bandwagon, it's just that it's a feel-good film that has everything flying for it, as the theme "Gonna Fly Now" sings.  Yes, second opinions are a B****, but John, and people of the 'Razzie Inner Sanctum,' Sylvester does have a way with being the Comeback Kid in his character 'Balboa,' and he does a damn good job at it, making me want to see at least maybe the three first Rocky films, or four.  He proved it to the audience this night and to me, also.

So, do what you want with Sylvester's Worst Actor trophies: give him Worst Actor of the Decade, Century, Millennium, Chutzpah, whatever.  All I see in Sylvester Stallone is that he's a certified actor in league with my view with others in Hollywood and "Rocky Balboa" should be put out the minds in the threads of Razzie voters and make a run for '07 Oscar contention. 
"Balboa" rocks and should have no mention at all of a Razzie nod or award or thread of message after this one in plain sight.  Enough said.

If it's a bad idea for a movie - “Put it out of your mind. In no time, it will be a forgotten memory!” - Samuel Goldwyn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>