Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > COMPLETE LIST of ELIGIBLE 2007 RELEASES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Uwe Boll’s POSTAL to Open in THEATRES?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uwe Boll’s POSTAL to Open in THEATRES?
    Posted: September 28 2007 at 3:08pm

Uwe Boll's Postal will finally be making it's way to movie theatres in limited release on 12 Oct 2007.  Although Postal has yet to be listed on Box Office Mojo, it is listed on both Rotten Tomatoes and Moviefone.com.  The question is, since we're dealing with the man widely regarded as the worst living director, will Postal be in Razzie contention despite its limited release like Dirty Love was?  HeadRAZZ?

Response from Head RAZZberry: If POSTAL does indeed receive theatrical release this year, we alwaze have room for Uwe Boll on our Nominating Ballot. But given the man's box office track record, the "if" in this case is A Berry Big One...

SPOILERS!

This movie is adapted from one of the most incendiary if not one of the worst videogames ever made.  "Adapted" means it has very little to do with the game.  Boll's intention is to be outrageous, offensive and funny.  He even parodies himself, as in he takes what critics have said about him and plays it up.  I emphasized that this film goes out of its way to be offensive.  Postal has screened at festivals and has had several promotional screenings.  A Google search will not only reveal the official movie website, but also numerous vidclips, trailers and interviews.  Surprisingly, there are those who praise this filmThere have also been those who panned this film, and Boll apparently has contacted every negative critic he could.  More on that later.  What nearly everyone on both sides agrees upon is that the first ten minutes are genuinely funny, despite being about the 9/11 hijackings.

Based on what I've read on the Internet, the plot is this.  Uwe Boll, playing himself, opens up an amusement park where he intends to sell rare Krotchy Dolls.  You don't need much of an imagination to figure out what they look like.  An out-of-work nephew and his sex-crazed cult leader uncle decide to steal the dolls and make a fortune selling them on eBay.  Osama bin Laden and his followers also decide to steal the dolls and make a fortune selling them on eBay--after lacing them with biological agents.  Based on the title of the film, you can imagine what happens when both teams arrive at the amusement park.  Boll promised that he will be gunned down in the film.

What surprises me about Boll's interviews is that when someone says he is the worst living director, he counterargues that the person hasn't seen all his movies, and then questions how that person could say such a thing even though he or she has only seen three films.  That's amazing considering Hollywood usually lives by the saying "you're only as good as your last film."  It's even more amazing that House of the Dead did not receive any Razzie nominations.  However, Alone in the Dark and BloodRayne did. 

Because of his past Razzie credentials, I'd say one of the groups Boll would want to convince that he made a good film is the Golden Raspberry Award Foundation.  And if Sylvester Stallone can earn a reprieve from a steady onslaught of Razzies by putting out a good film like Rocky Balboa, who knows?  It depends on how what's up on the screen comes across to us.

I'd like to see this movie put into consideration.

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 9:40am
The movie's actually been pushed back to November 9, 2007, according to a 43-minute interview on a DreadCentral podcast.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 12:42pm

The interview is located here.  After listening to it, I need an hour to clear my head.  Uwe Boll must exist in another universe.  I don't know what else to think.

Herr Boll clearly says that Postal will be released on 09 Nov 2007, and even comments on how 11/9 is the reverse of 9/11.  When Rotten Tomatoes and Moviefone.com update their release dates, or when Box Office Mojo adds Postal to its release dates, I'll update this thread. 

Herr Boll.  Hair ball.  Air ball.  After 43 minutes of listening to Boll speak, I've gone goofy. 

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 1:10pm
Uwe better win this year!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 8:07pm

HeadRAZZ, that's definitely a better subject title for this thread!  Thanks!

You should see the campaign across the web.  Just Google "uwe boll postal" and see for yourself.  The most incredible part are the number of POSITIVE reviews.  I'm more inclined to believe Wired's negative review, though, based on his last three films.  In any case, I think he's using the web to campaign for a U.S. theatre release.  And it seems he may have pulled it off.

We've seen how a web campaign affected Snakes on a Plane.  I don't know if that movie would have reached $62 million worldwide without that web campaign.  I can't imagine that a Uwe Boll film would reach anywhere near that even with a web campaign, but he may at the very least put it in the theatres.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 3:25pm

Moviefone.com has pushed the date for Postal back to February 2008, after In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale.  Although Rotten Tomatoes still has it coming out next Friday, it looks as though it's not going to come out then or 09 Nov 2007.

Man alive, and I was hoping it would come out this year, especially after reading this article by C. Robert CargillPostal would have swept the Razzies this year.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 5:53pm

Well, to take the subject heading to a more literal level. . .

Rotten Tomatoes had changed its page now to reflect that Postal will be released sometime in February 2008, just like Moviefone.com did.  However, now Freestyle Releasing, the distributor that announced it was going to release Postal a few months ago, has finally listed it on its website, and the website says it's being released, not this weekend, not 09 Nov 2007, not Feb 2008, but NEXT weekend, 19 Oct 2007.

In other words, keep a watch out for this movie, but don't hold your breath.  I'm sure not anymore...

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 11:51am
This thing is now all over the map.  Rotten Tomatoes now lists Postal as hitting theatre in a limited release on 31 Jan 2008.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 6:04pm

I ain't going, and I don't think film festivals count, but for those who [ahem] "look forward" [ahem] to such things, Postal is being shown at the Hollywood Film Festival at the Arclight Cinemas on Sunday, 21 Oct 2007 at 7 PM.

With that said, I didn't find it showing anywhere else this weekend, so the 19 Oct 2007 date is out.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 11:46am
It looks like, if Postal makes the theatres at all, it's going to be next year, so, unless otherwise noted, we can discuss it then.  In the meantime, here's the opening scene on YouTube, the spoof of 9/11 that so many say is the funniest part of the film.  My personal opinion?  While I found the debate between the two hijackers about how many virgins they will get, and the resulting agreement as to what they should do after that, to be amusing if not funny, I still have a hard time finding anything to laugh about when the plane hits the tower, even considering how the window washer illustrates a fine point of Sod's Law.  And if this is the funniest part of the movie, well, let me put it this way:  I sure will renew my Razzie membership for one more year.  It would be a matter of conscience.
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 11:04am
Box Office Mojo has a webpage for the film now. It is set for release February 1, 2008.

On the international homefront, the film bombed in its home country of Germany, debuting at #27 with $79,353 from 48 screens.

UPDATE: As of November 4, "Postal" has a 25% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and has collected $109,405 from it's two countries combined. ($104,240 in Germany and $5,165 from Austria. Talk about low numbers.)
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 5:28pm

Thanks, Movie Man.  Here's the link.  He bombs out even in Germany.

Well, HeadRAZZBerry could use this as a recruiting tool.  At the very least, everyone at BollBashers may want to join for next year. . . .

(Yes, there's a whole website dedicated to bashing Uwe Boll.  It seems very thorough, too.)

Originally posted by Movie Man

Box Office Mojo has a webpage for the film now. It is set for release February 1, 2008.

On the international homefront, the film bombed in its home country of Germany, debuting at #27 with $79,353 from 48 screens.

Post Reply Post Reply