Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > VALKYRIE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

VALKYRIE - TRAILER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VALKYRIE - TRAILER
    Posted: December 07 2007 at 9:10am
Originally posted by cvcjr13

Originally posted by Queen_of_Toad

Why do I feel like you're looking at me???

Cruise's Minority Report squad would crash through your door the second you landed the job!

You mean like this?
"
Quote:
This misguided attempt by Cruise to win fans for Scientology in Germany by playing a local hero has got to be the single worst idea in modern movie history.

"Well! Talk about bad taste..."

It's getting to be time for Greta to resign from Fox News following their increasingly frequent hate attacks on the Scientology religion. How about it Greta - don't hesitate like Isaac did, jump before DM* pushes you!
"
http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=24319
*: DM = David Miscavidge, the boss of $cientology
Please, forgive my poor English. It's not my native language.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 12:49pm
I think that attributing Tom Cruise with attempting to win converts to Scientology by portraying a German hero is giving him way too much credit. I seriously doubt that he could even conceive of anything that "altruistic." Frankly, I think all that he is after is an Oscar nomination.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 2:20pm

Originally posted by cvcjr13

Why do I feel like you're looking at me???

Cruise's Minority Report squad would crash through your door the second you landed the job!

You mean like this?

No, I mean if Tom Cruise were to overdub his voice for the entire film to get his accent right, and you were hired as the vocal coach to put him in a headlock until he said each line right. . . . well, going along with the fiction, the squad from Tom Cruise's movie Minority Report, who specialized in capturing murderers before they commit murder, would get a little wooden ball with your name on it. . . .

Queen_of_Toad View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 6:17pm

I have a question, though.
I have been reading in other forums (and I have read pretty convincing arguments) that an accent is not as essential as some (we) believe it to be. I remember one poster who said that he had never heard "Hamlet" done with a Danish accent, and many films would be dubbed anyway, therefore it wouldn't really matter.
Therefore, my question: Why do you guys think that a German accent in this film is essential?

Thank you in advance.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 2:36am

Why do you guys think that a German accent in this film is essential?

Thank you in advance.

I don't think it is either necessary or essential. Quite a number of historic epics have been done by Hollywood where the actors didn't attempt any sort of accent. In some cases, it can detract, rather than add to the experience. I suppose that if a director really wants that level of realism, he/she should simply film the entire story in the native language with subtitles, which, in my view, can be a tedious experience.

At the end of the day, the film is going to sink or swim on the strength of the story and the credibility of the performances. For that reason alone, there is reason to believe that Cruise can sink this project.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 2:49am

Therefore, my question: Why do you guys think that a German accent in this film is essential?

This must be an honest question since it comes from someone who hates Tom Cruise! . . .

Well, look way back into the past to 1932 Best Picture winner Grand Hotel.  Now, everybody in that movie should have had a German accent, but only Wallace Beery truly affects one by purposeful design.  And it worked. 

Now, look forward to 1991 Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.  Kevin Kostner won a Razzie for his portrayal of Robin Hood with a midwestern U.S. accent.  Whether you liked the movie (and many do, including, I confess, myself, both the good scenes and the dumb scenes. . . anybody have a spoon?) or not, most people agree that Costner's misplaced accent was a serious flaw.

Let's go forward again to 2006 and Silent Hill.  Sean Bean, of all people, couldn't master an Ohioan accent if Radha Mitchell's life depended on it.  Coupled with Roger Avary's bad script, it ruined every second he was on the film.  I almost want to switch Sean Bean in that film with Kevin Costner in Robin Hood.  You may still not think much about either movie, but at least the accents would no longer be an issue.

So, it depends, really.

I would want a historical reenactment to capture the accents of the people involved.  Everyone else in that Valkyrie trailer seems to have no problem talking with an accent.  And everyone's reaction to this trailer focuses on Cruise's accent, bad, non-existent or whatever.  So, it would seem with this movie that yes, it does matter.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

[

At the end of the day, the film is going to sink or swim on the strength of the story and the credibility of the performances. For that reason alone, there is reason to believe that Cruise can sink this project.

What do you mean, saturnwatcher?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 2:04am
Tom Cruise has a one character range. This character is going to be a signficant step outside of his capabilities.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 12:21am
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Tom Cruise has a one character range. This character is going to be a signficant step outside of his capabilities.

What makes YOU think that this character was out of his range?

And question to HeadRAZZ: Why do you believe Darth Tiny's accent was essential?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12