Forum Home Forum Home > 2005 Film Discussions > CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Wacko Jacko Gives US the WILLYS!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wacko Jacko Gives US the WILLYS!
    Posted: July 15 2005 at 6:34am

Willy or won't he -- Be a Worst Actor nominee for this role?? Oscar Darling Johnny Depp has alwaze been inventive and perverse...but turning Roald Dahl's eccentric candy-maker into a cross between Dianne Weist and Michael Jackson??  Is he doing "Wacko Jacko" ON PURPOSE, is it some odd coincidence, or what?!?!  Discuss...and we'll get back to you later...

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory  Movie Stills

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 7:34am
Head Razz...it COULD have been MARILYN MANSON as Mr. Wonka
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 8:00am
...Or worse yet, Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford as imitated by Michael Jackson with a wig borrowed from Joan Collins as Alexis Colby-Carrington-Blah-Blah-Morrell in DYNASTY!!!
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 3:02pm

This just in from a RAZZIE® member in Atlanta: "Everyone in our office is convinced Johnny Depp is doing BOTH Michael Jackson AND... Carol Channing  Depp's got MY vote for Worst Actor!" 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 3:41pm
I don't remember Willy Wonka in the book being fem-ish...If this is a movie for kids, why add that element. And if it's not a movie for kids, why base it on a book that zillions of little kids have read, so they'd want to see the movie????
JoBloMovieGoer View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoBloMovieGoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 3:43pm
What do you mean "fem-ish"??  I didn't read the book, but in the old movie with Gene Wilder, Willy Wonka's Purple Velvet Suit wasn't exactly butch!!
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2005 at 8:33pm
You got it wong; the new movie is titled "CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY", not "Willy & the Chocolate Factory" like the original.
Fred Cooper
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 10:17am

I thought Depp did a good job, I don't think that he should be on the ballot, but that's my opinion

Hypno Toad View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hypno Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 3:33am
Let's see here. No ISLAND. No STEALTH. No ALONE IN THE DARK. No KING'S RANSOM. No DIARY OF A MAD BLACK WOMAN. Yet this has its own forum, even though it is commercially and critically successful? Come on Razzies. Live up to your name and take off this (and for that matter, STAR WARS: EPISODE III) and give the real stinkers their own forum!

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 12:34am

As promised in an earlier posting, I am "getting back to you" on CHOCOCLATE FACTORY, which I finally saw at a crowded multiplex showing  (complete with a crying baby in the audience!) while on vacation in Gallup, New Mexico...

This film IS way more faithful to Dahl's original novel than the Gene Wilder version, but Depp's choice of how to play Willy Wonka is still WAY off from what Dahl wrote. So off, in fact, that every time he came on the screen, it was off-putting. Funny? Yes. Interesting? Kinda. Appropriate? I DON'T THINK SO!

That doesn't NECESSARILLY mean he deserves a RAZZIE nomination as Worst Actor (there's PLENTY of other, WORTHIER choices this year) but, in response to the previous posting: Depp's performance is STRANGE enough to be worthy of having its own Forum just to discuss its WEIRDNESS...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
MIkey-B View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote MIkey-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 10:08am
Johnny is just a great actor for one reason... he's not afraid to take risks. Altough I havent seen CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOCLATE FACTORY yet, I'd rather see an actor try and lose than play the same role over and over *cough* Adam Sandler*cough*-- I mean, what other actor do you know today that could possibly get an Oscar nomination for playing a pirate???? That has to prove something!
#1-Film Freak!! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Film Freak!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 6:18am
Depp is also one of the few "daring actors" among today's movie stars whose risks almost alwaze pay off at the box office -- Who else could have coaxed $116 million (worldwide) out of FINDING NEVERLAND? And CHOCOLATE FACTORY looks headed for $200 million, DOMESTIC. He may be A World Class Weirdo, but Depp is definately a STAR!!
Nobody LUVS movies more than ME!
#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2005 at 3:04am
A star, maybe...a WEIRDO, definitely! And I don't think doing voice overs for CORPSE BRIDE is gonna help him much in that department!
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2005 at 8:10pm

He's a good actor but I would never ever hire him if I make it in the film business. Same goes for others who vent their political opinions out loud: Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn, Gwyneth Paltrow.

I just can't deal with their bad mouthing of America, or the negative publicity.

"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
dr View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 7:26am

Originally posted by Hypno Toad

Let's see here. No ISLAND. No STEALTH. No ALONE IN THE DARK. No KING'S RANSOM. No DIARY OF A MAD BLACK WOMAN. Yet this has its own forum, even though it is commercially and critically successful? Come on Razzies. Live up to your name and take off this (and for that matter, STAR WARS: EPISODE III) and give the real stinkers their own forum!

yea that true give the awful movies it own forum

deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 7:25pm

After seeing this at the $2 theater, I believe I noticed the underlying message of this film: It's white supremacist propaganda

After why did only little white kids win golden tickets? They showed footage of Japanese people scrambling for Wonka bars, and surprise surprise, none of the Japanese found one. The first kid to find a golden ticket was German for chrissakes!!

I believe I have found hidden meaning in this movie, congrats to me.

"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>